News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

FigmentForver96

Sci-fi coasters in the dark with no loops and a light show for scenery - it goes deeper, actually - heavy emphasis on blue lighting, starts in tunnel with mirrors and flashing lights, ends in a tunnel with pulsing lights, etc.

Watch the Shanghai video - even the loading area is very, very similar to DL's SM. Tron is much, much more like SM then Shanghai Pirates is like our Pirates.

Plus, we have Tron Track.

Basically, the only way this makes sense is to think of it in terms of TSMM adding another track or Soarin' another theater. Desperation for capacity without concern for thematic coherence (it doesn't match with SM's architecture at all) or uniqueness.
"Tron Track" is a term used by critics of the new Test Track. The color blue or neon lighting is not a theme, so no the Tron Coaster has very little similarities. One has screens, special effects, launch, seating, and audio that is all very different. The other is an coaster through the dark with minimum special effects.

Uncle Lupe

How do they handle the train? Just a tunnel? Couldn't imagine water vapor and particulate matter from the train is good for a coaster or the fancy canopy. Wish the Peoplemover could be incorporated or the lighting tech used in the Space Mountain trains. Was re watching the @marni1971 vid of the 09 Space Mountain refurb and being reminded of what wasn't but should have been. So more importantly this will give needed capacity, a headliner attraction and being able to do proper refurbishments of the other E ticket rides.

I am glad to see all these plans laid out together as a way overdue refit of the Worlds vacation spot. However spending billions and not keeping things maintained would be a total waste.

Madame Medusa

After thinking about it I realized Adventureland needs a roller coaster more than these next door neighbor clones. Imagine the possibilities for that.

Now Tomorrowland will be so overcrowded and everyone will spend half a day waiting in one spot for two nearly identical rides.

UpAllNight

Trolls gonna troll.

I agree with a previous poster about Revive...i believe a similar style has also been put in place for restrooms opposite the speedway? I like that aesthetic very much. The gradual improvements will also minimise the downtime of the land.

MK will now be rather coaster heavy...down the line I hope that means further expansion will be dark ride in Adventureland.

Movielover

Not just a hideous building, but a hideous building with a nearly identical ride. How is this any more special than Space Mountain?! It completely diminishes the excitement factor of both. They might as well be dueling coasters.

Talk about ruining a classic attraction, ie an iconic one there since the beginning, not a cheap overlay from 1996 of a ride no one even thinks about.

I'm surprised this is met with such positivity. It's by far the worst idea from D23.

Seriously, does it hurt? I mean you have to be in extreme amounts of pain with all that cynicism spewing out of you right now...

tumblr_nm9ew4PwMc1tuc5yko1_500.gif

Someone give this person an antacid quick!

BrianLo

The showbuilding in Shanghai is completely visible from multiple angles both in and out of the park. Absolutely appalling for a Disney park. I hope the Magic Kingdom's Big Blue Box is hidden far better.

If it is, I suppose I can't complain. I would've rathered something unique. But it seems that Space Mountain: The Newer and Bigger One will be a popular addition.

The irony is that this ride is Shanghai's substitute for Space Mountain, and now we're getting it right next to ours.

I think it will ironically be better situated in MK than Shanghai. The orientation tucks the most egregious part beside Space Mountain. The view from Dumbo maybe not as great.

Don't love clones... but it's certainly a fun ride (whether or not it is short) and they surprisingly didn't hack the Tron cover meaning tomorrowland gets a really nice place-making element. MK is on track to have the best tomorrowland of all the Dis parks if these other rumours come to fruition.

deeevo

I still think Tron should have fit better in EPCOT. Put GOTG in the no name park. That rendering of Tron sitting next to SM hits
my OCD trigger.

I am Timmy

I am excited to see an addition rather than a replacement for once! I hope it turns out to be an enhancement to MK. Now, I wonder if someone can answer a couple questions for me - why is MK getting another attraction when it already has more than the other parks? Also, why does every new section being built only have 2 attractions? Is the idea that more will be added over time? Sorry if this is off topic, I wasn't sure where to ask.

azox

Hmmm so no announcement about the Tomorrowland Speedway...they will have to do something to this eyesore soon. A lot of land it sits on as well

When they created the new fantasyland they altered the Speedway but I don't recall them actually making a big deal of it for the new land. I am wondering if adding Tron is in that same notion. Advertise the big E ticket and adjust the Speedway accordingly.

I just hope they somehow make the walkway and area big enough the the new attraction is prominently displayed and seen from within the rest of tomorrowland.

azox

whats the barn shape building in front of space mountain going to be used for.

thats really the only part i dont like, as it blocks the sight lines to space mountain

I too wonder about that building. Right now it looks fine because space mountain is basically a dead end in Tomorrowland so the building doesn't stick out. Curious to see how that area will flow when Tron opens up.

Macca250

Can't believe there's still negativity flowing through these threads when we've got TRON, Guardians replacement for EEA, Mickey ride, Star Wars land, Ratatouille and more... this is the most investment WDW has gotten since its fourth gate. Can we just enjoy this moment and get a bit excited?!! I'm not completely satisfied with how some of these additions will fit into the parks myself, but at this stage my focus is on the level of investment we're getting which deserves some serious hype!

UpAllNight

Can't believe there's still negativity flowing through these threads when we've got TRON, Guardians replacement for EEA, Mickey ride, Star Wars land, Ratatouille and more... this is the most investment WDW has gotten since its fourth gate. Can we just enjoy this moment and get a bit excited?!! I'm not completely satisfied with how some of these additions will fit into the parks myself, but at this stage my focus is on the level of investment we're getting which deserves some serious hype!

Completely agree. Disney World has stagnated for a decade..there's now 6 E-tickets being built, and a fun looking Toy Story Land with the promise of more and we've just got a great new area on Pandora.

Think back to previous D23s and the feeling around here when Universal were building Potter...and Disney just weren't interested in doing anything.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

There will always be negativity, just a way of life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom