News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The price of the action figure and the fact that Disney’s top-notch PR staff didn’t pick up on Cindy’s shirt:

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

brettf22

Premium Member
At the official dedication ceremony for TRON Lightcycle Run - Cindy Morgan who played Lora in TRON (1982) wore a TRON shirt... but not the movie TRON but the crypto currency called TRON instead! 🤦‍♂️Easy mistake to make on her part, but unbelievable that someone on Disney's media team didn't catch before the official ceremony…
While I agree that PR should have caught this, I’m not sure this is a “mistake on her part.” I wouldn’t be surprised if the crypto company paid her to wear it.

999th Happy Haunt

I feel like a well-designed theme park wouldn’t have Space, Tron, and Barnstormer right next to each other, all in a row. If you walk from Tomorrowland to Toontown, it’s sort of a trip through the devolution of the themed coaster.
The same theme park probably wouldn't have Jungle Cruise, Pirates, and Splash right next to each other. Tron, Space, and Barnstormer are all different experiences despite all 3 being coasters.

IveBeenJack

While I agree that PR should have caught this, I’m not sure this is a “mistake on her part.” I wouldn’t be surprised if the crypto company paid her to wear it.
The shirt is on Amazon right now alongside TRON movie merchandise. I highly doubt "the crypto company paid her to wear it." More likely answer is that she was enthusiastic to be there and wanted to wear a shirt for the ceremony. It's an easy mistake to make. But Disney should have caught it beforehand.
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 1.06.16.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Good to see Disney's media team are on top of stuff 😂

At the official dedication ceremony for TRON Lightcycle Run - Cindy Morgan who played Lora in TRON (1982) wore a TRON shirt... but not the movie TRON but the crypto currency called TRON instead! 🤦‍♂️Easy mistake to make on her part, but unbelievable that someone on Disney's media team didn't catch before the official ceremony. They are PAID to notice things like that! Guess they were too busy drinking and partying in a closed off Tomorrowland.

Oh and if that isn't bad enough, all of the media/influencers who went along were told to use hashtag #TRON. But no one at Disney has checked and seen that the hashflag emoji is of the crypto and links back to the crypto. So all these influencer tweets have free promotion for a crypto currency!

View attachment 703962

View attachment 703963

It's Disney's way of getting crypto bros to go to the parks!

ppete1975

Imagine if they made star wars action figures that looked like kenner ones. Even without sound if they just kind of got hair color and had the package picture and your name maybe put your family pics on the back (instead of other characters) they could charge 50 bucks easy.
1678907593204.png

Casper Gutman

The same theme park probably wouldn't have Jungle Cruise, Pirates, and Splash right next to each other. Tron, Space, and Barnstormer are all different experiences despite all 3 being coasters.
This is really, really thin. Pirates, Cruise, and Splash all involve water, but that’s the extent of the similarities. They are wildly different, and vary dramatically in theme, tone, design - the list goes on. Tron was conceived as a sightly updated copy of the ride it now sits a few yards away from. You might as well pretend ToT, RnRC, and the Beauty and the Beast stage show are similar because they’re all theme park attractions.

Gringrinngghost

Surferboy567

Do we have pricing for the identity chips
What I have been able to find:

Identity Disc - $70
Jacket (Suit from movie) - $100)
Identity Program - $79.99
Crossbody Bag - $39.99
Various Hats and Shirts - $45
Handlebar - $59.99
Dye Cast Light Jet - $19.99
Water Bottle $29.99

EDIT: RC Lightcycle - $69.99
Identity Chips - $14.99

Last edited:

DavidDL

This is really, really thin. Pirates, Cruise, and Splash all involve water, but that’s the extent of the similarities. They are wildly different, and vary dramatically in theme, tone, design - the list goes on. Tron was conceived as a sightly updated copy of the ride it now sits a few yards away from. You might as well pretend ToT, RnRC, and the Beauty and the Beast stage show are similar because they’re all theme park attractions.

Would you contest that Disneyland's Fantasyland is poor theme park design? Because it has four to five dark rides with similar ride systems and similar tones/aesthetics pretty much all right next to each other. It's fine if you do, I'm just genuinely curious.

I don't personally have an issue with these three coasters being next to each other because 1) if you were to walk them backwards of the order you originally listed, you have three different levels of coaster thrill for younger Guests to "grow into". -and 2) while I'm certainly much too old or tall to be riding Barnstormer and haven't been on Tron yet (will be there this May), I can't imagine my love for Space Mountain will falter much because the experience and tone it provides is so much different than TRON.

That experience being a sort of "frozen in time"1960/70's space port that never fails to get a laugh out of me as my family and friends scream bloody murder while their backs are being broken. Sort of like if the Carousel of Progress took on coaster form and decided it was time to rearrange your spinal column!

999th Happy Haunt

Tron and Space Mountain are similar yes, but their tone, theme, and design elements are different enough for them to stand next to each other and offer varied experiences. The similarities end after the fact that they're coasters in the dark, and Tron isn't even always indoors. Launch vs chain lift. Seating orientation. Scenery. They are both distinct experiences.

Barnstormer is not like either. It really shouldn't be factored into the conversation.

BubbaisSleep

I don't personally have an issue with these three coasters being next to each other because 1) if you were to walk them backwards of the order you originally listed, you have three different levels of coaster thrill for younger Guests to "grow into". -and 2) while I'm certainly much too old or tall to be riding Barnstormer and haven't been on Tron yet (will be there this May), I can't imagine my love for Space Mountain will falter much because the experience and tone it provides is so much different than TRON.
I don't think the problem is that there are a few coasters next to each other, but unlike Disneyland the park isn't balanced so makes it feel off to stack all your thrill rides in one corner. The other side of the park could use a new thrill ride and family dark ride. But I'm sure that side of the park will be their next focus.

DavidDL

I don't think the problem is that there are a few coasters next to each other, but unlike Disneyland the park isn't balanced so makes it feel off to stack all your thrill rides in one corner. The other side of the park could use a new thrill ride and family dark ride. But I'm sure that side of the park will be their next focus.

In fairness, Big Thunder and Tiana's Bayou Adventure (coming soon) exist on the opposite side of the park. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is definitely one I forgot about which is closer to the other three, to your point.

That said, "thrill" can be subjective. As a child, I was way more terrified of the drops in the dark on Pirates of the Caribbean than I was of Gadget's Go Coaster (substituting for Barnstormer in this instance). So for some Guests, that's another thrill on the west side of the park and another subtracted from the east.

It will be interesting to see what they come with beyond Big Thunder. Maybe that long defunct Bald/Villians Mountain thrill ride?

dovetail65

Would you contest that Disneyland's Fantasyland is poor theme park design? Because it has four to five dark rides with similar ride systems and similar tones/aesthetics pretty much all right next to each other. It's fine if you do, I'm just genuinely curious.

That experience being a sort of "frozen in time"1960/70's space port that never fails to get a laugh out of me as my family and friends scream bloody murder while their backs are being broken. Sort of like if the Carousel of Progress took on coaster form and decided it was time to rearrange your spinal column!
I agree with your thoughts.

Space Mountain and TRON are 100% different so you won't have any feelings of not doing both rides and I am sure you will keep your love of Space Mountain. The only thing the two rides share is that futuristic retro feel, other than that Tron is NOT an updated version of Space Mountain in any respect other than it's a newer type roller coaster. Cosmic Rewind is closer to an updated version to Space Mountain than TRON is.

Space mountain is way too intense and hurts my body, Tron is smooth as butter, even more smooth in my opinion than Cosmic Rewind and I have ridden them the same day. I will probably skip Space Mountain now, I am too old to be knocked around like that. Tron is the Perfect fit for MK and from my perspective is in good spot(though I hate where they funnel us off) .

Jungle Cruise, Splash and Pirates are so different I don't understand a previous comment about how possibly another other park wouldn't put them together, it makes little sense to me. They fit together just fine. Actually, I love hitting them right in a row too.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom