News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Casper Gutman

Are you really implying The Rocketeer isn't dull? Really?

I'm just happy because they're using the Daft Punk music.

They are using it, right.
Absolutely. It’s a genuinely great, well-constructed adventure film - heck, it’s in a tie with Last Crusade as the second best pulp adventure film of the last 50 years! And that’s not a particularly niche opinion, if you take a look at the reappraisals and retrospectives that have considered the film.

No Name

When I hear “Rocketeer”, I think of the song by Far East Movement, which is the same group that created the banger song Like a G6. Great candidate for an RnRC replacement though!

Gringrinngghost

I just want to welcome all the "sudden" Tron and Tron Legacy Fans...

How it feels to be an old school legacy fan.
1678832946008.png

MrPromey

Seeing this huge merchandise push just reminds me of how tremendously dull both Tron films are.

If they needed to revive a box office disappointment from the vault, why couldn’t it have been The Rocketeer? Or Dick Tracy?

The first one was a cult classic for "the nerdy kids" (I liked it). The technical innovation for the time, the painstaking effort to make hand-drawn stuff look like low-res computer art, the fantastical adventure inside a computer - I think that spoke to a certain young audience of the time that was... not mainstream.

The problem with it now* is, most people have a comprehensive enough idea of how technology works to completely roll their eyes at the entire concept. It's like the $6 Million dollar man or the bionic woman - as presented, the idea seems entirely preposterous today because society knows technology isn't magic in a way the general public and especially kids and teens and young adults still didn't really grasp back then.

Most people hadn't ever even seen a working computer in real life, except maybe from the other side of a counter with the screen turned away from them.

Some of the choices they made with the story of the second one were smart like how they explained this evolution of that society that happened in a fish-bowl away from the internet and real world modern technology. Many parts like most of the rest of the story, starting with the cartoonishly goatee version of totally-not-Microsoft all the way up the ending were... a disappointment for something that attempted to bring the story forward into the future.**

At least we got the soundtrack - available right now at most local Targets on exclusive blue and clear Vinyl, no less!

I know people had nice things to say about the animated series but I never saw it so I can't speak to that.

Anyway, it seems like the ride is able to borrow the aesthetic (and music) of the second movie which was kind of the only thing going for it, without having to deal much with the baggage of how underwhelming the actual movie was so.. yay? 🥳

*and by "now" I mean, like nearly the last 20 years.

**A group of about a dozen of my friends actually comitted to a 40 minute drive to see it in IMAX with me for my birthday when it came out. Looking back, I feel bad about that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom