Transportation System

Chad

Original Poster
I was thinking about my own transpotation plan for the world, and here's what I came up with.

I'm trying to attach the image that I drew up <or added to I should say.>

Here goes the best explanation I can come up with.

You'll see that the black line is where the MK and Epcot monorail lines are. and youll also notice that the yellow circles are the stops that the different vehicles will make. The MK monorail line is expanded, ever so slightly, to include wilderness lodge, this would do two things. Give transportation to the wilderness lodge, and allow the fort wilderness campground to have access.

Next, I was thinking about adding a second TTC, but this would only further confuse guests, and sometimes call for three or four transfers to get to a destination. One would be more efficent.

If you follow the epcot line, you'll notice it branches off into two red lines. This serve as the new resort line monorail. It will be seperated into two 'teams' of monorails. The double lines, and triple lines. The double line monorails will service the Port Orleans resort, Old key west, and carribean beach. The triple will service the swan and dolphin, and the yacht and beach, while using the same track. This track doesn't go to any theme parks, it just loops around and goes back to the TTC.

Next, the MGM and ak lines. These will not be monorails. They will utilize a train track, which would be much more economical. There will be a train that goes to AK and a subway that goes to MGM.

The AK train also stops at coronado springs and AKL on its loop. MGM subway will make stops at all three all star hotels.

Now you might say, "Won't that make those lines really busy? Having all the people form the hotels and the people going to AK and MGM? Well, yes it would be busy. But there is a system worked out. IN the morning, when all the guests are going to AK, the train will start at the TTC, picking up all the hotel guests. Then it will go directly to AK, and drop them off, (the train should be empty by then) next, it will go to the hotels, and pick up passengers, then head to the ttc, where atleast three-fourths of the passengers will get off, and then pick up more and go to AK. That way it isn't very busy. At about 2 or three, people would start heading back to there hotels, so the line would be reversed. The car would go from the ttc to the hotels, dropping off almost all of the passengers, then going to AK, dropping off whoever's left. Then it'll pick up the guests and go to ttc, letting almost everyone off <anyone not staying at coronado springs or AKL> and head to the resorts.

The same would apply for the MGM line...

WHtya think?

Attachments

• arevisedmap.gif
    arevisedmap.gif
    114.7 KB · Views: 232

wdwcrazy

Pretty good plan! I think it would be better to have the line that runs off the epcot line stop at Epcot's station. I don't know how you would have 3 lines run into one. The guests from the red line would go to Epcot's station, then transfer to the monorail to the TTC.

WDW-Imagineer

Great Idea... I'm just wondering what you will do about he obviously huge load coming from the Epcot Resorts Monorail Line. The monorail would be full after one stop in the morning.

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
Pretty good plan! I think it would be better to have the line that runs off the epcot line stop at Epcot's station. I don't know how you would have 3 lines run into one. The guests from the red line would go to Epcot's station, then transfer to the monorail to the TTC.

Yeah, I agree. I think there should be an Epcot TTC to tie all of the lines together. It would also help organize everthing.

Goofster

Cool Idea Chad,
the whole Epcot resorts thing does seem a little confusing, but still sounds pretty cool. I do like the idea of a train and of a subway, but I'm not sure. I think if you're gonna make a subway you might as well make it a monorail instead, and then make a monorail to AK, too. It does seem pretty bad that if you were staying at AK lodge and were leaving the park to go home, you'd have to go all the way up to the TTC and then come back. I do like the idea of another TTC closer to Epcot that would take you to the Epcot Resorts and to the Studios and the Animal Kingdom and their resorts. But definately, get Wilderness Lodge on the monorail line!!!!!

Chad

Original Poster
I think adding another TTC would just confuse the guests more, and lead to longer wait times, and more transfer times. But, having the new resort line stop at epcot would be fine.
ABout the resort being busy....Each monorail would have 4 stops. Currently, The MK monorail line stops three times and is able to handle the loads pretty well. And it also has to deal with the theme park crwods. Its not completely full at the first stop, I don't see much of a problem..

The Mom

Premium Member
Chad, Looks like a plan! However, any subway lines are probably not possible, the water table is too high.

Chad

Original Poster
Huh? Whatya mean? Its not an underground subway, just looks like one..Maybe subway isn't the correct term?

WDW-Imagineer

I'm assuming Chad is refering to a subway - similar to the "monorail" at Orlando International Airport, which is basically a subway car on a concrete beam.

Chad

Original Poster
uhh, pretty much, but its on the ground. It goes on the same train track that the ak train would go on.

woofboy111

If it was a sub way, it would be underground. What I've heard mostly, above ground subwas got the name light rail. (like they were planning to build in orlando)

Chad

Original Poster
OK, let me rephrase this. They would both be trains. But one would be themed to look like a subway to fit in better...Is that better?

Tramp

Good idea Chad!

I'm sure this idea must have been batted around inside the Disney offices. I've often thought that they must have considered tieing the parks together with monorails, even if they didn't stop at the hotels in your plan? Wonder why they never did it....? Could it be that their studies show that the system could not handle the volume of people moving from park to park on a monorail?

scan_man

Chad,
Why not make use of some of the Rivers there too. Have some boats between more of the hotels and Parks?
it wouldn't take as long to create man made rivers between the river system to allow more boats between the Parks, and hotels.
Like the CBR, and All Star, and CSR to Parks
Like All Stars, and CSR could go go the Animal Kingdom, and the CBR could go to Epcot they could use maybe Electric Boats, rather than Gas powered boats? Or even Solar Powered Boats?

Chad

Original Poster
Yeah, I was thinking about that, but the boats go so SLOW! it takes a good 20 to 30 minutes to get from FW to MK, and if the weather gets bad....Eesh, maybe is they could get faster boats, sure...

Monorail Lime

You have some very good ideas. I'd just like to point a few things out...

You chose light rail for the MGM and AK lines because it is more economical, but that really isn't the case. Monorail systems can be constructed for far less than conventional at-grade systems. Monorail has a smaller footprint and requires less elaborate land and environmental surveys prior to construction. In addition, monorail vehicles can be built lighter and cheaper than light rail vehicles since they don't need reenforcement to survive grade crossing collisions. Besides, if your light rail is crossing Osceola Parkway and World Drive, it will need to be partially elevated anyway! I won't get into the specifics of per-mile cost breakdown, but I encourage you to check out The Monorail Society at http://www.monorails.org for more information.

While an additional TTC would confuse guests, it is clear from your map why it could be beneficial. Your orange line parallels much of the existing Epcot line for the trip to the TTC. A "hotel TTC" somewhere south of Epcot could tie all of the non-seven seas lagoon monorail resorts together and reduce the number of lines required in that area. Guests could still get to the Magic Kingdom with only two transitions, which is less than sometimes required by the current bus system.

Also remember that when designing transportation systems like this, point-to-point lines with only two stations or loop lines work the best. There shouldn't be any switches used during normal service, especially on monorail beams. The switch where your Epcot line branches out would wear out pretty quickly! It would also slow down the trains, because even on "fast switches" that can change beams in 20 seconds it is wise for safety reasons to cut power at least two holdpoints out.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm bashing your ideas, I'm really not! I'd just like to encourage you to go read up at The Monorail Society and its excellent mailing list to find out about the practical issues involved. Hopefully in a few years the economy will be back on track (and if we're really lucky we'll have a new CEO) and a system similar to the one you envision may become a reality.

-Lime

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom