Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disney Analyst

Surprisingly I think I love this little land... it’s super cute. Reminds me of Bugs Land, just needs another dark ride and it would be perfect...

Also did you see that the green army men no longer have covered faces? As well women will now be joining the green army... and the toy story characters will be free to roam the land like living characters versus hiding in buildings or at meet and greets.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Surprisingly I think I love this little land... it’s super cute. Reminds me of Bugs Land, just needs another dark ride and it would be perfect...

Also did you see that the green army men no longer have covered faces? As well women will now be joining the green army... and the toy story characters will be free to roam the land like living characters versus hiding in buildings or at meet and greets.

love to see more characters just roaming around... but I know that is challenging as well logistically

this land (as well as Pandora) could use 1 more ride

brb1006

I remember hearing news about the Green Army Men finally having faces a few months ago.

THE Monorail Lime

Hi, everyone! I thought here would be good place to put this...but I'm building slinky dog in RCT3!
IMG_3302.JPG

Pete C

I like the land too from what I have seen. Disappointed to hear that the swirling saucers ride is rough, but I am really excited about another solid, thrilling family coaster to take my kids on.

Also, I think many people are overlooking the fact that the most popular ride in the park finally has a proper, themed home. When you include TSM the area has 2 major E/D-ticket attractions. People that come to WDW for the first time are going to walk away impressed.

yensidtlaw1969

I like the land too from what I have seen. Disappointed to hear that the swirling saucers ride is rough, but I am really excited about another solid, thrilling family coaster to take my kids on.

Also, I think many people are overlooking the fact that the most popular ride in the park finally has a proper, themed home. When you include TSM the area has 2 major E/D-ticket attractions. People that come to WDW for the first time are going to walk away impressed.
Neither Toy Story Mania nor Slinky Dog are Major E-Ticket Attractions. Nor were either of them meant to be.

It is nice though that Toy Story Mania has more going on around it now than Pixar Place offered.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just saw the final seating area for Woody's Lunchbox, and what a complete failure it is. Movable tables and chairs with no umbrellas? Are you kidding me Disney??? It was bad enough to not have an interior quick service restaurant with AC so people could find some relief from the heat...the land is already completely open air outside of TSM. However, now we are outside with no shade in the seating area at all. That is SHAMEFUL cost cutting. Look back at the concept art and the miniature model. The tables were the stationary type with integrated benches and umbrellas:
View attachment 292707

What we see here are loose lightweight tables not anchored to the ground that will definitely not support an umbrella (photo from Inside the Magic). Welcome to hell:
https://i2.wp.com//wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Screen-Shot-2018-06-27-at-3.12.10-PM.jpg?ssl=1

Who could possibly enjoy sitting outside in direct sunlight outside of December - March? How are people supposed to do to sit down and enjoy their lunch? Are there any other primary quick service seating area anywhere in WDW with no umbrellas or shade? I can't think of any.

Might just be temporary until they get other stuff....

Pete C

Neither Toy Story Mania nor Slinky Dog are Major E-Ticket Attractions. Nor were either of them meant to be.

It is nice though that Toy Story Mania has more going on around it now than Pixar Place offered.

Well, that's why I said E/D. It would be hard to call TSM a D-ticket when 80M was spent developing it, and Slinky Dog is a launched coaster with a unique layout rather than an off the shelf design. I mean any of these ticket classifications are just approximations anymore anyway.

JediMasterMatt

love to see more characters just roaming around... but I know that is challenging as well logistically

this land (as well as Pandora) could use 1 more ride
I love that Disneyland, which is the 2nd busiest park manages to maintain roaming characters.
Same for Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disneysea.

That's because it's an operational issue and not a logistical issue.

TDO views character meet-and-greets as attractions and needs to from an operational perspective because they need as many "things" in their parks they can guarantee people will queue up for so they don't queue up for other attractions. Preferably with a dash of FP+ thrown on top of it.

Meet-and-greets are a cheaper solution to the alternative of building attractions that could command a line.

Donaldfan1934

The POV's are finally starting to come in.

As for my overall thoughts, I think these are all nice additions, but aside from AS$, I can't help but feel there was room for improvement. While I liked the new TSMM queue for the most part, I can't believe they made the same mistake twice with Mr. Potato Head by relegating him to a dark corner of the stand-by line. This land expansion was the perfect opportunity to correct it by putting him right out front for everyone to see and interact with like the Anaheim and Tokyo versions. He is supposed to be a carnival barker after all.

Also, I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed by what could've been with Slinky Dog Dash. Yes, it still looks like a lot of fun, but I can't help but feel that it's relatively barren knowing it went from this
IMG_2879.JPG

to this.
IMG_2880.JPG

It's yet another example of why Disney shouldn't release in depth concept art until the budgets are fully approved because it's cases like this where ignorance is indeed bliss.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom