Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

PorterRedkey

Fantasyland was the most dramatic change between original concept art and final product that I can remember. It was originally going to have two interactive princess M&G's which were replaced with the Mine Ride, and a Pixie Hollow area over where Storybook Circus is, but that was eliminated and the whole area changed to Storybook Circus.
See Hyperion Wharf.

Plans change and I understand that. I think the addition of a ride instead of 2 hyper MnG's was for the best. We did lose Pixie Hollow, so that sucks.
With the TSL plans, Disney didn't change a concept like NFL or Hyperion into something new, they just cheaped what they had already promised. Same rides and land, just less. Walt would plus, TDO likes to minus.

MrHappy

Fantasyland was the most dramatic change between original concept art and final product that I can remember. It was originally going to have two interactive princess M&G's which were replaced with the Mine Ride, and a Pixie Hollow area over where Storybook Circus is, but that was eliminated and the whole area changed to Storybook Circus.

Looks like we need to take these concepts with a grain of salt. As excited as we get on these boards, they set us up for disappointment. Which is ironic, because those on these boards really should be amazed with results that over-deliver on the original promise. From what I hear Frozenstrom did that, NFL did not. Not that initial concepts should underwhelm casual and passionate fans, but if there are going to be changes, they need to be for the better otherwise they are playing with fire. But again, if the past is a reference, Disney doesn't mind - see Disney America, Mt Fuji, and many other publicly "promised" projects.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like we need to take these concepts with a grain of salt. As excited as we get on these boards, they set us up for disappointment. Which is ironic, because those on these boards really should be amazed with results that over-deliver on the original promise. From what I hear Frozenstrom did that, NFL did not. Not that initial concepts should underwhelm casual and passionate fans, but if there are going to be changes, they need to be for the better otherwise they are playing with fire. But again, if the past is a reference, Disney doesn't mind - see Disney America, Mt Fuji, and many other publicly "promised" projects.

There is something to be said for Universal's practice of rarely releasing concept art until well into construction.

MrHappy

There is something to be said for Universal's practice of rarely releasing concept art until well into construction.
Hmmm, you're right. I kinda boycot parks not Disney so I'm not sure of Uni's practice, but it's sounds super logical. Seems like a more successful practice as well. It's like "don't look behind the curtain" as anticipation builds. Anyway, this Zebra (disney) ain't changing their stripes.
PS, I enjoy your posts @danlb_2000, and of course your avatar. Honored to get into convo with you.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hmmm, you're right. I kinda boycot parks not Disney so I'm not sure of Uni's practice, but it's sounds super logical. Seems like a more successful practice as well. It's like "don't look behind the curtain" as anticipation builds. Anyway, this Zebra (disney) ain't changing their stripes.
PS, I enjoy your posts @danlb_2000, and of course your avatar. Honored to get into convo with you.

Not to get off on a tangent but you should re-consider your boycott, you might be missing out on things you might really enjoy.

MrHappy

Not to get off on a tangent but you should re-consider your boycott, you might be missing out on things you might really enjoy.
Ha! A few years ago my company had flew us (from CT) to IOA, I was very impressed with the Potterland and Whoville in terms of design, detail and execution. Rides were so so to me. Too bad I couldn't display my appreciation as I was playing the Disney-snob card the whole trip. However, I do hear that their crowd control/efficiency and other areas of detail aren't to Disney standards. Not fanboying this, just saying!

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I agree... I'm surprised Disney hasn't gone this route. Build and let people speculate and build excitement wondering... HOWEVER the reason they probably HAD TO release concept art was to get people excited now because the parks have been so (fill in the blank)ing stagnant for awhile

PorterRedkey

Disney's management has driven me to Universal. Orlando was always Disney to me, but not anymore.

MrHappy

I'd like to recap (245 pages in) for those just joining. The latest in TSL/HS, please correct as I don't want to spread false rumors, just trying to do a public service:
  • In TSL: Slinky will either be reduced further or removed. A Soldier Parachute ride was brought up as a replacement (lame carnival ride) along with a few other "rides" in order to provide a false sense in the number of overall attractions.
  • GMR is still being replaced with Mickey
  • Animation still needs to be addressed
  • Echo is cool
  • Sci Fi cafe is safe
  • Muppets Courtyard is safe and will have a glorious entrance
  • TSL is for kids, SWL is for thrill seeker (more so)
  • The end of Hollywood BLVD, near/at RnRC will become a loop not a deadened
  • Monstropolus seems to be the most likely next announcement/addition. Land or just ride is conjecture.
  • Pixar build out is controversial here. Some want a land (no indication from Diz), some take the Pixar brand element out and let those IP's live across WDW as Disney pick and play franchises.

Is this beneficial? I'll stop. Just typing out loud.

Earl Sweatpants

Disney's management has driven me to Universal. Orlando was always Disney to me, but not anymore.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe that's just the Florida dynamic. For me, Magic Mountain is a literal 10 minute drive from my house. Universal is 20-25 (on a good traffic day). Disney on average is anywhere from 1-2 hours, but I will always hands-down choose Disney first.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'd like to recap (245 pages in) for those just joining. The latest in TSL/HS, please correct as I don't want to spread false rumors, just trying to do a public service:
  • In TSL: Slinky will either be reduced further or removed. A Soldier Parachute ride was brought up as a replacement (lame carnival ride) along with a few other "rides" in order to provide a false sense in the number of overall attractions. No
  • GMR is still being replaced with Mickey Yes
  • Animation still needs to be addressed Yes
  • Echo is cool Looks like it
  • Sci Fi cafe is safe Looks like it
  • Muppets Courtyard is safe and will have a glorious entrance Yes
  • The end of Hollywood BLVD, near/at RnRC will become a loop not a deadened No
  • Monstropolus seems to be the most likely next announcement/addition. Land or just ride is conjecture. No
  • Pixar build out is controversial here. Some want a land (no indication from Diz), some take the Pixar brand element out and let those IP's live across WDW as Disney pick and play franchises.
(Bold comments by me, as things stand today)

Earl Sweatpants

• In TSL: Slinky will either be reduced further or removed. A Soldier Parachute ride was brought up as a replacement (lame carnival ride) along with a few other "rides" in order to provide a false sense in the number of overall attractions. No
  • Monstropolus seems to be the most likely next announcement/addition. Land or just ride is conjecture. No

Is it weird that I'm actually most excited about the Sci-Fi restaurant being safe? I have some great memories of that place.

MrHappy

Thanks Martin, Regarding the Monstropolous bullett I saw enough scuttle in the thread to add it in the list. Noted (and saddend). I also though there was speculation about the layout changing to a more traditional Disney layout (no dead ends at least). Again, Noted. Thank you for keeping us in line!

PorterRedkey

Sorry to hear that. Maybe that's just the Florida dynamic. For me, Magic Mountain is a literal 10 minute drive from my house. Universal is 20-25 (on a good traffic day). Disney on average is anywhere from 1-2 hours, but I will always hands-down choose Disney first.
I am too. I used to be the biggest Disney advocate back in the 90's.

To be fair, we just went in Jan, but the experience was my worst ever. I am not saying I didn't have fun, but the Disney decline was felt. A cast member wouldn' let me ride in the same car as my wife on Space Mountain (we were happy to wait longer to do this), so we ended up being in two different pictures. Oh, and we had our Honeymoon pins on when this happened. Best to separate the newlyweds

I also found a half-eaten cheeseburger from McDonalds in my Splash Mountain boat. The half-eaten patty was at my feet. It was like riding in a trash bin (no smelitzer needed).

I am torn. I love my favorite rides like Splash, PotC and HM so I want to go to the parks to see them. The rides may be appealing, but the park atmosphere is degrading, so it turns me off. Mostly this means I don't go as frequently to WDW as I used to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom