Toy Story Land Being Built Right Now ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here's a little SDL morsel (I am discussing this up on the Spirited Dirty Dozen because no one ever talked about the Asian parks here, but I will drop this here as well).

First, here's the evidence:

http://themeparkuniversity.com/disney/toy-story-land-headed-shanghai-disneyland-photographic-proof/

Don't know how or why the O-Town Blogger was allowed to wander where he did, or why Disney has been able to keep this hidden in plain sight, but Toy Story Land was simply delayed. It isn't dead and, yes, construction on the important stuff is well under way.

Apparently, it was always a Phase 1B development, which is why it was on all the opening menu docs and planning materials I was sent in 2013. It just wasn't labeled as such. And with so much so far behind schedule, facilities and development are not as far along as was intended (and, no, this isn't part of that pesky $800 million that went into a Chinese hole never to be seen or spoken of again).

Its purpose is to be a quick addition that is nearly finished on opening day, yet doesn't officially open until six to 12 months after park opening. Why? Well, in the worst case, if the park flops, it can be rushed to opening within six months as part of a media campaign to offer amazing "new MAGIC!" at the struggling park. Or OTOH, if the park booms, it can open a year after opening as a way to modestly (slightly?) bump up park capacity while keeping the media buzz going. That's why in those pics it looks so close to completion already, with just show paint and detailing needed to open.

The blogger claims the QSR will open in June, which seems contradictory because then everyone will know this land is coming ... but with Disney, anything is possible.

And there's more ... and not talking Phase II here.

The other little secret that Ops will have at their disposal in Shanghai is "flex spaces" within the park that are currently just open fields (like the one photographed by the blogger, Josh) or lightly landscaped spaces. If the park really does well and has capacity issues due to overcrowding, the Ops Entertainment team already has a short list of quick adds that go into themed tents and temporary facilities. Think the Millennium Village tent at EPCOT in 1999-2000, but filled with the latest IP from Marvel or Pixar or Disney presented as interactive zones and small stage shows. All to soak up crowds and add capacity.

What I am curious about, again, is how this has been a secret in plain view and why this dude was able to see it and take pics, which don't appear to be spreading. Dakota needs to get on this because Joe G. isn't putting pics of this undiscovered, secret, future MAGIC on his closely monitored by Burbank Tweeter.

Last edited:

Stevek

Wow, how completely bizarre. Great that they are already building but man, who in their right mind allows guests to get that close to the area. Time to go over to Disney and More and see if any of their aerial shots show that area.

No Name

Huh. That's funny, because I did see that army men building from one of the aerial shots. I just had no idea what it was and I didn't look into it any further. I thought it was a gift shop or something (which it might still be, but for TSL!), or a nice backstage building. I was also so consumed by the rest of the park that I didn't have the time or care to study this further. Basically, I didn't think it was significant at all, so I guess I glanced over it.

But now I see the significance. Well, I guess TSL is happening. I thought, and hoped, it had been cut from the plans for good.

On one hand, I like that in today's day, they were able to actually do something without us noticing. At the US parks, when they replace a fence or get rid of a tree, people are like "ohhmaagawdd something's coming!!!"

On the other, and bigger, hand, I hate this. First of all, there's already a TSL a few miles away in HKDL. Are they trying to purge that park of any draws and kill it? But also, SDL has enough "carnival" rides. This would bring that count up to six. Too many! Are they trying to compete with Mr. Wang and his beloved Wanda by creating cheap rides? There are so many downsides to the TSL it appears SDL is still getting. While it will be nice for capacity, I hoped they had moved on from this idea.

Anyway, it doesn't look close to finished. I think they'd need more than six months from this point to completely finish this "land." Unless they're going to open it in phases, Oh gee, does it get lower?

Interested to hear this but ultimately disappointed.

RandySavage

^Agreed. Had been hoping TSL was totally dropped (but for capacity reasons they built and opened its already-planned bathroom and restaurant (Celebration Cafe) while the area around it was re-imagined).

HKDL will be reeling from SDL stealing its thunder (and mainland tourists), and the Chinese partners seem to value uniqueness to their parks. It's a black eye to build another TSL in Shanghai, basically the day after HK's exclusivity clause expires.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Odd that the only evidence is of the Parachute Drop... which I thought was rumored to be taken off the roster because of the negative connotations with evil America imperialism?

BrianLo

It's a black eye to build another TSL in Shanghai, basically the day after HK's exclusivity clause expires.

Ya @WDW1974 - perhaps there is an answer to why it seems so 'odd'. The exclusivity contract isn't up until November at HKDL.

That's probably the primary driver that they couldn't actually have it ready for opening and are being a little cagey with its existence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom