Tower of Terror exterior refurb

jjharvpro

Original Poster
I will be in WDW from March 13-18. Visiting Hollywood Studios on March 15th. Does Tower of Terror still have the scaffolding on the whole exterior. Any pics? 4 days til WDW!!

djkidkaz

What are they even doing? Every photo update I see it looks exactly the same. Are they painting it or doing something else?

JustInTime

Rumor has it they were refurbing/adding effects.

I bet they were just the refurbing outside. I think when I was there I noticed some facade work being done. It looked like stucco work.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I will be in WDW from March 13-18. Visiting Hollywood Studios on March 15th. Does Tower of Terror still have the scaffolding on the whole exterior. Any pics? 4 days til WDW!!

Yes it still has the scaffolding and the crane, although some of it has been removed. Looks like there will be a few weeks to go at least.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
What are they even doing? Every photo update I see it looks exactly the same. Are they painting it or doing something else?

They have been pretty much rebuilding complete parts of the exterior. Parts have been stripped all the way down to bare concrete and completely refinished. Other wooden structures have also been completely rebuilt. It's been a very thorough refurb.

zooey

They have been pretty much rebuilding complete parts of the exterior. Parts have been stripped all the way down to bare concrete and completely refinished. Other wooden structures have also been completely rebuilt. It's been a very thorough refurb.
:sohappy:

wild01ride

I know it's a big building, but holy cow! The scaffolding was up when I was there the week before Christmas - it's unbelievable to have it in place that long!

fyn

This wasn't something I thought needed attention, nor have I seen people really complain about it, so way to go TDO for being proactive!

ToTBellHop

I know it's a big building, but holy cow! The scaffolding was up when I was there the week before Christmas - it's unbelievable to have it in place that long!
it takes awhile to completely refurbish the exterior of a sky-scraper...

I am impressed that they are even doing it as it's not necessary for the ride to function. It just makes the ride look nice, and I'm sure it's a very expensive project. And they are doing this without closing the ride (I couldn't even see any scaffolding while on the ride). Thumbs up.

MKCP 1985

One sign you've maybe taken too many trips to Walt Disney World . . . is when you take photos like these: :lol:

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

(mid-December 2010)

pumpkin7

isn't the exterior meant to look 'rough' though? it's been struck by lightening, it shouldn't be immaculate. i suppose as long as they don't make it look like it's just been painted then it's ok.

hpyhnt 1000

isn't the exterior meant to look 'rough' though? it's been struck by lightening, it shouldn't be immaculate. i suppose as long as they don't make it look like it's just been painted then it's ok.

Thats the reason they are refurbishing the exterior. After 15+ years of Florida rain and sunshine the scorch marks, woodwork, and other details have faded and rotted away. We want the Tower to look rough and neglected, not actually be neglected.

NoChesterHester

Thats the reason they are refurbishing the exterior. After 15+ years of Florida rain and sunshine the scorch marks, woodwork, and other details have faded and rotted away. We want the Tower to look rough and neglected, not actually be neglected.

D&G's on here will disagree with me, but I remember the years around the early 2000's in comparison to the years earlier... The upkeep took a noticeable drop for a period there. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Seems like they are systematically refreshing everything. Makes a difference.

thelookingglass

Here is my post from the last thread about this refurb:
Here is a picture from 2001:
http://www.hohpe.com/Gregor/Travel/2001/Orlando/tot.jpg

You can see how much color and detail has faded away when comparing that picture to this one, taken from the previous thread on this topic:
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/..._576361126_5590564_5608357_n.jpg?t=1291591462 - December 4th, 2010

Ralphlaw

I thought the rehab process was fun because the big red crane was built in my hometown. You'll see the word "Manitowoc" on the side. I live in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, and the crane was built here some time ago. How warm and fuzzy to have the doors fly open and see "Manitowoc" in front of you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom