Toothsome opening

JoeCamel

It's pretty interesting to note that this took about the same time to do as it's taking for the Pizza Planet re-theme at DHS.

More than "interesting", the comment that stuck out for me was " This has out Disney'ed Disney more than anything opened in Disney Springs". I haven't been to DS since it opened but if that is true the mouse is wondering where the money went.

Tori the Traveler

Who else saw TheTimTracker video he just posted on Toothsome? I've been following his updates on the building since 2014 or so. I haven't been to Disney or Universal in coming up on 4 years (going finally in 08/17), but this clearly seems like something Disney should have thought of for DS. I am super excited to see DS and I think it's great. Hopefully more whimsical things will show up in the future.
I am really stoked to try the food. Especially since I just turned 21 all the chocolate drinks look AMAZING. I think people who have an affinity for chocolate will like some of the more "out there" food than most people, so I'm looking forward to it.
Any word on Dining Plan availability here? Thanks!

71jason

Who else saw TheTimTracker video he just posted on Toothsome?

Tim and Jen were sitting at the bar with me when they started filming. Does that count? ;)

Especially since I just turned 21 all the chocolate drinks look AMAZING. I think people who have an affinity for chocolate will like some of the more "out there" food than most people, so I'm looking forward to it.

Chocolate cherry mule. Trust me on this.

71jason

More than "interesting", the comment that stuck out for me was " This has out Disney'ed Disney more than anything opened in Disney Springs". I haven't been to DS since it opened but if that is true the mouse is wondering where the money went.

I like the food at a lot of the places in DS, but none of them have the atmosphere or attention to detail of Toothsome. I initially thought this would be a Sugar Factory rip-off--and the dessert menu is to an extent--but it's much more a themed Cheesecake Factory menu* in a Jekyll & Hyde Club setting. (I doubt it's coincidence both restaurants were long rumored for this space.) The irony is I don't even like J&H in NYC, but I think the whimsical steampunk motif works better than whimsical horror.

* Seriously, probably half the dishes involve chocolate, often in unexpected ways. It's the thematic opposite of an "Angus burger" on the Yak & Yeti menu.

AndyMagic

THIS is the type of place Disney should have built at Disney Springs. THIS is what Disney used to do but doesn't do anymore. And to top it all off, it has an original story and theme that isn't based on an existing IP with original characters walking around and interacting with guests. I had amazing luck and was able to experience it on opening day of the preview (I just happen to be walking by) and I had a blast just roaming around the store and talking with Penelope (the owner of the factory). She stayed fully in character, had an amazing costume, and was a huge hit with guests. Same with her robot friend. There's an energy in there that reminded me of the Adventurer's Club! Even the hostess was a "character" and had an elaborate costume. On top of all of that, the food I had for dinner was phenomenal, the chocolate was divine, and the shakes looked absolutely insane (I didn't get a chance to try them because I was too stuffed).

I highly recommend the dark chocolate pistachio brittle. I had to go back the next day just to get my hands on some more. I also purchased a beautiful steampunk owl figurine with a jetpack and goggles that was adorable. I just couldn't resist it despite the $40 price tag which I thought was fairly reasonable given the quality and the fact that it's a theme park restaurant. They are going to make a FORTUNE with this place. Expect similar restaurants to come to the parks and City Walk soon. Also, don't shy away from the long wait times for dinner. There was an hour and 10 minute wait when I arrived but I was able to amuse myself until my table was ready. Like DisneyHead said, the bar upstairs is a real treat as well and is a good perfect place to spend some time while you wait after you've fully explored everything else.

Last edited:

brb1006

THIS is the type of place Disney should have built at Disney Springs. THIS is what Disney used to do but doesn't do anymore. And to top it all off, it has an original story and theme that isn't based on an existing IP with original characters walking around and interacting with guests. I had amazing luck and was able to experience it on opening day of the preview (I just happen to be walking by) and I had a blast just roaming around the store and talking with Penelope (the owner of the factory). She stayed fully in character, had an amazing costume, and was a huge hit with guests. Same with her robot friend. There's an energy in there that reminded me of the Adventurer's Club! Even the hostess was a "character" and had an elaborate costume. On top of all of that, the food I had for dinner was phenomenal, the chocolate was divine, and the shakes looked absolutely insane (I didn't get a chance to try them because I was too stuffed).

I highly recommend the dark chocolate pistachio brittle. I had to go back the next day just to get my hands on some more. I also purchased a beautiful steampunk owl figurine with a jetpack and goggles that was adorable. I just couldn't resist it despite the $40 price tag which I thought was fairly reasonable given the quality and the fact that it's a theme park restaurant. They are going to make a FORTUNE with this place. Expect similar restaurants to come to the parks and City Walk soon. Also, don't shy away from the long wait times for dinner. There was an hour and 10 minute wait when I arrived but I was able to amuse myself until my table was ready. Like DisneyHead said, the bar upstairs is a real treat as well and is a good perfect place to spend some time while you wait after you've fully explored everything else.
At least Tokyo Disney Resort still does stuff like that. Look at the Pizza making machine for example.

brb1006

Yes, real whipped cream. And the filet oscar has a rich béarnaise sauce which had a crisp lemon tang and nice hint of tarragon, so I would be stunned if it wasn't made fresh in house.

And I wanted to add, the upstairs bar is going to be a hidden gem at Universal. The ambiance, the handcrafted cocktails, and the stunning view of CityWalk is going to make this place very popular with APs.
Does it contain good air condition?

Tori the Traveler

AndyMagic, I can't find your reply, but I completely agree with you. I miss the originality Disney used to have. And I think soon enough, Imagineers will get tired of it too. Artists want to create art, not rehash someone else's. I'm also shocked that 99% of this is happening on John Lasseter's watch. I am hoping something changes soon!

Tori the Traveler

Oh my. I'm at work and droooling. I LOVE Chocolate. Steampunk is stunning when done right.

Jaw dropping. Hats off Universal. Bravo.

Right? It looks awesome. I'm really excited for the coffee and chocolate wings and the awesome steampunk characters that walk around. It's like adult character dining. I am living for this. And the chocolate cherry mule, apparently, haha :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tcool123

So up stairs is just a bar- no food? Or do they have a tapas style menu up there? And can you just walk in and find a seat upstairs, or is there seating and a cocktail waitress? I wanna go SO BAD!! Perhaps if the tropical storm that's heading this way turns into a Hurricane, I may have to evac to HRH for SAFETY:p:joyfull:
Nope they have full sit down outside on the patio and inside on the two floors.
I know because me and my party of six ate there. We ordered for appetizers aricoke rolls which were good, the cheddar broccoli soup which was good, the french onion soup which was good. We ordered a chocolate almond bread and they forgot about it... We reminded our serever Haraj from Morocco and he brought out it nice and fresh, but wait since we waited so long and stuff he brought a free second loaf so it was fine. It was sooo good. Then Penolope showed up and she was hilarious. All the while we didn't have drinks....because Haraj didnt ask us what we wanted to drink. Obviously we got our drinks eventually. Also milkshakes arent on the sit down menu. Because the waits for half a hour normally for the milkshakes. Would be a hour if there were in both.
I ordered the gnocchi and it was bad mostly because i didnt like the mole sauce. Mom ordered the Chicken Bu-something, it was pretty good. My cousins both ordered the risotto, i didnt try it but everyone said it had no flavor and was too watery. They comped my cousins meal because he couldn't eat it. My brother's GF ordered the seafood macaroni that was pretty good. My brother had the blue burger he said it was one of the best burgers he's had.
For desert I had the Brookie it was good. My brother's GF leftvto order a milkshake, she got a banana vanilla milkshake it was over the top which is why we got it, it was sooo good. However we wouldnt come back unless they fix the menu. I rate it 3.5 stars out of five.

culturenthrills

We ate there last night and it was amazing. The themeing was amazing. All the food we had was excellent. I had the pork belly sliders and they were tasty. The chocolate almond bread is excellent. It is a must order. My girlfriend and her friend had burgers and they both thought they were excellent. We were stuffed and only had room for chocolate creme brulee and it was perfect. Very tasty and the right consistency and texture. The great thing is the prices aren't bad and are a steal compared to Disney. Universal after one week and we are only in previews, they has a huge hit on there hands. This place is gonna print money. I expect them to fix the few issues they are having and it will make an already great experience even better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom