Tomorrowland Terrace now open exclusively for Mobile Order

disneygeek90

Exactly! Don't you just hate that? ;)

I can see the obvious benefit of not having to stand in line to order. I'm looking at it from the standpoint that it'll mean fewer CMs, fewer CM interactions, and that, for me, sounds like a more mechanical/electronic/impersonal park-going experience, definitely not what Disney has been known for in the past. (Oh, there I go again, talking about the past and what Disney used to do, I need to get with the times, etc... :p ) Not that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in all cases... But I think that also speaks as to how far removed we are today from the knowledgeable, caring CMs from top to bottom being the rule, not the exception.
There's many great ways to converse with CM's. Unfortunately, being stuck in a 10-15 minute wait at Restaurantosaurus only to place my order efficiently with the CM at the kiosk does not create any sort of magic for me.

MrPromey

It's a test and the location was chosen as the test site because it's not always open. In fact the locations spends large amounts of time closed. So it works well for a test as an additional offering.

I guess I just think of this as a high-profile location since I pass through it almost every visit to the MK but I guess technically, the entrance to Tomorrowland is off the middle of the hub...

nickys

Premium Member
;)I like the convenience. But .....

- my phone seemingly runs the "wrong" version of the operating system to run MDE so I can't order

- can you charge to a magic band?

- otherwise it means carrying round a credit/debit card, which is a pain

- unless I get the boys a pre-paid card they'll get hit with a currency transaction fee on top of their food, and since they like going off on their own they can order but not pay.

So I really hope Disney aren't going down the mobile ordering only route.

MrPromey

Mobile ordering is the greatest thing ever. Harbour House was an absolute disaster Monday and I had my food in minutes. The line was out the door and a CM tried to stop me from going past it. I just said 'Mobile order' and she said, oh, go right ahead. The guests in line were furious. Epic.

Reminds me of the time I was nearly assaulted by a dad for "cutting" in line for Rock-n-Rollercoaster back in the days of paper fast-passes and before they had better line management to handle it at that attraction. Nevermind that a castmember was right there directing us in at the merge point - he was livid.

Last edited:

dennis-in-ct

Reminds me of the time I was nearly assaulted by a dad for "cutting" in line for Rock-n-Rollercoaster back in the days of paper fast-passes and before they had better line management to handle it at that attraction. Nevermind that a castmember was right there directing us in at the merge point - he was livid.

lovely. That must have been a scene ... sorry :(

A question about the mobile ordering. Are there signs on how to do this? Do I use the Disney experience app I have already installed on my phone?

discos

I used the mobile ordering the other day at Electric Umbrella in Epcot and it was so east and very convenient. The regular cashiers all had pretty long lines and not a single person headed to the mobile ordering lane to pick up any food expect for myself within a 25 minute window. From sending the order through to it being ready for pick up took 4 minutes.

discos

lovely. That must have been a scene ... sorry :(

A question about the mobile ordering. Are there signs on how to do this? Do I use the Disney experience app I have already installed on my phone?
Yup, you do it all through the app. Just click the "order food" icon under "My Plans" and follow the steps. Its super straight forward and very convenient!

RSoxNo1

I used the mobile ordering the other day at Electric Umbrella in Epcot and it was so east and very convenient. The regular cashiers all had pretty long lines and not a single person headed to the mobile ordering lane to pick up any food expect for myself within a 25 minute window. From sending the order through to it being ready for pick up took 4 minutes.
I apologize for any intestinal problems you may be having.

TrojanUSC

I'm glad you find that method convenient. So do I but the first time family visting from outside of the US who are perhaps not native engish readers may not find it so convenent when they are trying to figure out why some people are getting food at this location they literally walk through on their way to Tomorrowland while they apparently, can't.

Yes, if they have a smart phone, and yes, if they download the app and set it up and yes, if they then understand they need to go in and order from that app they'll be all set but that's a lot of "ifs" to put in front of simply buying fast service food to make it the only option, isn't it?

This argument is invalid. By this argument, no technology can be updated because families can't be counted on to understand how a new service or technology works. Do you have any idea how many people would get FURIOUS at those walking past them via the Fastpass queue when that service was first rolled out? Theme parks are filled to the brim with idiots but eventually there's a learning curve.

Kamikaze

Exactly! Don't you just hate that? ;)

I can see the obvious benefit of not having to stand in line to order. I'm looking at it from the standpoint that it'll mean fewer CMs, fewer CM interactions, and that, for me, sounds like a more mechanical/electronic/impersonal park-going experience, definitely not what Disney has been known for in the past. (Oh, there I go again, talking about the past and what Disney used to do, I need to get with the times, etc... :p ) Not that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in all cases... But I think that also speaks as to how far removed we are today from the knowledgeable, caring CMs from top to bottom being the rule, not the exception.

What it actually would mean would be more CMs to staff other things than registers. In case you aren't aware, there are already staffing issues in Central Florida. Yes, some or most of it has to do with staffing at what Disney wants to pay, but there is a portion that there just isn't the available applicant pool. If you don't have to stick X thousand of people at food registers, you can place them elsewhere.

dennis-in-ct

Yup, you do it all through the app. Just click the "order food" icon under "My Plans" and follow the steps. Its super straight forward and very convenient!

Thanks !!
I now see the icon and it is super easy. As long as the WiFi holds up and or signal strength, we will be all set :)

Pixieish

Okay, here's where I see potential problems. Say my mother wins the lottery and wants to bring my sons to WDW for a "special grandma" trip. She has a smartphone...HOWEVER...she's constantly calling me to gripe about it because she basically knows nothing about how technology works. She WANTS to, but she's just not able to pick up on it. Seriously. She called me yesterday to complain about how Google is sending her notifications to install updates. Umm...security, mum...those updates are important. (Even worse is that she got an Android phone and I'm an iPhone user, so I really can't help her as much as I would like to because I need to have the phone in my hand.) The thought of her trying to download and effectively use MDE is enough to make my eye twitch. I would have to do all her ADRs and FPs or they simply wouldn't get any.

Basically what I'm saying is that there are going to be people who are unable to use mobile ordering. For some people, there just is no learning curve.

My hopes are they they integrate mobile ordering, but keep at least a couple of CMs on registers to handle in-person ordering.

nbdysreal

Okay, here's where I see potential problems. Say my mother wins the lottery and wants to bring my sons to WDW for a "special grandma" trip. She has a smartphone...HOWEVER...she's constantly calling me to gripe about it because she basically knows nothing about how technology works. She WANTS to, but she's just not able to pick up on it. Seriously. She called me yesterday to complain about how Google is sending her notifications to install updates. Umm...security, mum...those updates are important. (Even worse is that she got an Android phone and I'm an iPhone user, so I really can't help her as much as I would like to because I need to have the phone in my hand.) The thought of her trying to download and effectively use MDE is enough to make my eye twitch. I would have to do all her ADRs and FPs or they simply wouldn't get any.

Basically what I'm saying is that there are going to be people who are unable to use mobile ordering. For some people, there just is no learning curve.

My hopes are they they integrate mobile ordering, but keep at least a couple of CMs on registers to handle in-person ordering.

I'm sure it'll be like FP+. Yeah, most people will do it ahead of time and use phones/tablets, but for those that won't or can't, there will be a kiosk there and ready (or CM at a register).

toeknee

Mobile ordering is an early maturity entry point. The first level of maturity is web, phone or kiosk ordering (physically away from pre-existing point of sale units - e.g., online check in) and you maintain (and operate) the pre-existing point of sale spots. The second is kiosk ordering at the point of sale (where an employee manages transactions across multiple kiosks - e.g. Southwest check in/bag drop, BoG restaurant). So now you basically have 1 person handling 2 to 4 points of sale at one time. Third is delivery (with GPS tracking of your delivery). Imagine sitting in the hub waiting for fireworks and having popcorn delivered to you. Labor savings is often used to market the technology - but the uptick seems to be a higher check - people spend more when they self order. Many reasons for this - more time to thing about want they want, they see options that they didn't see before, the system is better at consistently upselling than a cashier is, etc. All to say ... more options are on the way.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What it actually would mean would be more CMs to staff other things than registers. In case you aren't aware, there are already staffing issues in Central Florida. Yes, some or most of it has to do with staffing at what Disney wants to pay, but there is a portion that there just isn't the available applicant pool. If you don't have to stick X thousand of people at food registers, you can place them elsewhere.

While that makes sense... "Cost containment" - I have no faith that the current management will have those CMs retrained and redistributed elsewhere in the parks.

MrPromey

I mean, I don't try and overthink it, but okay, yeah alright. You have your views and I have mine.

I'd say there is a difference between overthinking and not conisidering any circumstance beyond your own and dismissing someone else's legitimate concern as a "narative".
This argument is invalid. By this argument, no technology can be updated because families can't be counted on to understand how a new service or technology works. Do you have any idea how many people would get FURIOUS at those walking past them via the Fastpass queue when that service was first rolled out? Theme parks are filled to the brim with idiots but eventually there's a learning curve.

First of all, invalid by what standard, exactly? Yours?

In your view, pointing out a segement of the population that is not served by a change is what? Backwards? God/Budah/Spaghetti-Monster help you when the world moves in a direction you have trouble adjusting to some day.

My tl;dr response is, I love mobile ordering and am not arguing against it as an option at all. Fastpass as an example compliments my argument becasue it isn't a requirement for any attraction that offers it even though it's been around for almost 20 years.

Mobie ordering, in the context of this discussion, will be the ONLY OPTION at this location. No smart phone? No app? No understanding all this? No food. Then, after you understand that apparently nobody will sell you food here, go find another location to eat.

Do you see the difference between that and, go wait in the longer of the two lines for this attraction?

My long-winded response is:

Fastpass was introduced almost two decades ago and is still not the required way to get onto or into an attraction. It actually stands out as the perfect example against your counter-argument if you are trying to argue to the move for moble-only ordering as a requirement because everyone still has the option to wait in a line... and even if you don't want to, they provide kiosks for managing it in the park - no smart phone required.*

Incidentally, I know exactly how mad people would get when fastpass was rolled out. I was there. If you read back in this thread, I make mention of my own experience of almost being punched by somoene over it in an uncaracteristically short post.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not against mobile ordering. I love mobile ordering. I love the fact that so few people use it today that I really don't have to wait - just like I loved fastpass back then.

I expect this honemoon to be shorter lived though because people do seem to be catching on faster these days. As more people catch on, we are either going to end up wating in herds or queues for our mobile orders to be ready or we're going to have to start ordering them further in advance of our arrival time unless capacitly increases in the kitchen which arguably, they could have done before mobile ordering to better meet demand during peak times, anyway. Otherwise, someone will always have to wait - just like how fastpass evolved from what was basically little-to-no-wait to just a shorter line for people with fastpasses on most attractions and an even longer line than previously for people without them, once the majority adopted it.

There is no magic, Disney or otherwise that can get around the math. My hope is that they've learned from fastpass and will work to offset a reduction in registers as the tipping point comes with increased kitchen capacity either through atomation or additional staffing. Otherwise, it's just moving deck chairs... which current management has been comfortable doing in recent years but seems to be showing sings of improving on so... fingers crossed.

But that wasn't even what I was responding to. I was replying to a person who apparently couldn't conevie of something that was better for them personally ever being worse for anyone else and therefore offandedly dismissing someone else's perspective as how did you put it? Invalid.

People can have a different perspective without just reciting a "narative" or being "wrong" or "invalid".

*I assume because of the financial component, you can't manage mobile ordering from those kioks but I could be entirely wrong about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom