News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

MaryJaneP

Fantasy Land was an everyone-must-exit station on the last train of the night since it was not going to return to Main Street station and was only going so far as the switch to overnight at the train shed. Is that switch area impacted by the construction? IDK

TrainsOfDisney

Fantasy Land was an everyone-must-exit station on the last train of the night since it was not going to return to Main Street station and was only going so far as the switch to overnight at the train shed. Is that switch area impacted by the construction? IDK

No it’s not. The steam train tour still boards and de-trains at the fantasyland station during construction.

spacemtnfanatic

Or... make Fantasyland Station a must-exit for everyone.

That only puts the CM running the train at risk, which would still require OSHA safety requirements. But hey, it's no big deal if the train gets a lot of scrapes and bang-ups, right?

Because the safety of the CM < the safety of the paying guests. Oh wait, this is WDW, that is accurate. Carry on.

DisAl

There is no safety issue! Paying guests ride the train daily in a reverse move for the shop tour.
Yes, they do.
BUT that is a short run, low speed, no curves, and no grade.
One other complication in running in reverse is that the locomotives on the WDWRR have no brakes. All the brakes are on the passenger cars. When going forward and brakes are applied the locomotive is PULLING against the couplers, not pushing. The heavy locomotive and tender pushing the couplings is much more likely to cause problems that pulling against them.

TrainsOfDisney

Yes, they do.
One other complication in running in reverse is that the locomotives on the WDWRR have no brakes. All the brakes are on the passenger cars. When going forward and brakes are applied the locomotive is PULLING against the couplers, not pushing. The heavy locomotive and tender pushing the couplings is much more likely to cause problems that pulling against them.

I give up... you guys think you are experts. I’ve worked professionally as a conductor on a steam train. I directed shove moves around curves and on a slight grade every single day with passengers on board. With a steam locomotive.

Again.... it’s a logistic issue, I’m not faulting Disney as it would be a strange operation. But safety wise and operation wise it’s possible.

peter11435

I give up... you guys think you are experts. I’ve worked professionally as a conductor on a steam train. I directed shove moves around curves and on a slight grade every single day with passengers on board. With a steam locomotive.

Again.... it’s a logistic issue, I’m not faulting Disney as it would be a strange operation. But safety wise and operation wise it’s possible.
It’s possible. However current Disney won’t do it. Partially logistics and partially safety. Yes, Disney does it for the tour. But they would never allow it for standard operation due to safety concerns. There’s many things that can be and are done in the real world that Disney does not allow.

EricsBiscuit

Yes, they do.
When they were building Splash Mountain the WDWRR ran between Main Street USA and Mickeys Birthdayland, going forwards and backwards.

EricsBiscuit

That was a long time ago. A lot of things about how the company operates and views risk has changed since then. Specifically that was nearly 20 years before 2009.
I still don’t see any issues with it. If they’re concerned about safety, then don’t take guests when they go backwards. It halves the capacity but at least we’d still have the steam trains.

EricsBiscuit

Monorail Pink reversed into Monorail Purple killing Pilot Austin Wuennenberg.
Oh. I thought we were talking about an incident on the railroad. That example, while tragic, doesn’t mean the railroad can’t go forwards and backwards as only one train would be operating at a time between MSUSA and Toontown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom