1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Tom Hanks as Walt Disney.

Discussion in 'Animation, Movies, TV' started by Grumpy-Fan, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Grumpy-Fan

Grumpy-Fan Active Member

Tom Hanks as Walt Disney and Meryl Streep as P.L. Travers is the latest rumor I saw on Twitter. It sounds good to me.
  2. fosse76

fosse76 Well-Known Member

I can't see Hanks as Walt Disney. At all.
  3. bgraham34

bgraham34 Well-Known Member

Me either. I can't think of anyone at the moment.
  4. Atomicmickey

Atomicmickey Well-Known Member

It's not exactly perfect "looks" casting--but with makeup, and if he nails the voice and mannerisms, I can see it. Hanks is talented enough to probably
    come up with something convincing.
  5. Epcotdad

Epcotdad Member

I think this is the first casting of many for the Magic Kingdom movie project. I always said that Paul Newman was the man for the role. His soft-spoken voice and his grandfather like persona would be a perfect fit. They will have a hard time finding some to play such an iconic man. Tom Hanks would try his best, but I believe would come off as fake, like when he did the voice for Santa in the Polar express. I my opinion I think that Tom Selleck would actually pull it off. One of the best part of the Meet the Robinson's movie was when he was talking to his younger self, you could hear some of the low monotone and soothing sounds in his voice Like Mr. Disney. Plus we all know he can pull off the mustache, Magnum PI
  6. Patrick_Ears

Patrick_Ears Active Member

I agree with you 100% :sohappy:
  7. Patrick_Ears

Patrick_Ears Active Member

Tom Hanks is a outstanding actor and one of my favorite. Now we all know there is only one Walt Disney, but sometimes people can act like that person and nail it on the head. Look at Marilyn Monroe there were lot's of people who acted like her and still today they do and some turn out very nicely. Hey give Tom a chance.
  8. PeoplemoverTTA

PeoplemoverTTA Well-Known Member

Not sure about the casting yet (I don't think he has to look just like Walt to pull it off, but I also fear it would be too much of a "stunt" casting - so that I wouldn't believe he was Walt, too distracted by Tom Hanks, the actor. We'll see, though).

I think this story would make for a really interesting film, though. Travers was a pretty fascinating lady, and Walt's persistence resulted in my favorite movie of all time. I'd like to see this be sort of an art house movie, though, which I doubt will happen. A small picture in small release. If it turns into a huge mega-flick debacle, it'll kill it.
  9. GrumpyFan

GrumpyFan Well-Known Member

Nice profile name... :animwink:

Is this for a new movie?
  10. baymenxpac

baymenxpac Well-Known Member

100% agree. look at frank langella in frost/nixon. didn't seem like a logical physical choice, but i dare to say no one has delivered a more compelling and convincing richard nixon.
  11. Figment571

Figment571 New Member

Isn't Tom Hanks slated to be in the "Jungle Cruise" movie? I would think if anything that he may appear as that character in the "Magic Kingdom" film. Now as far as an actor who could play Walt, that is very tricky, depends on what age they want to present Walt, but in all likelihood it would bee '55 or older Walt, after he had become "America's Uncle".
  12. Grumpy-Fan

Grumpy-Fan Active Member

That`s about right. Travers agreed to let the Disneys make the movie in 1960 which would have made him 59 at the time. Mary Poppins was released in 1964.
  13. Figment571

Figment571 New Member

So what movie would this be for? "Magic Kingdom"? Or something we haven't heard about yet?
  14. MKCP 1985

MKCP 1985 Well-Known Member

Ed Norton would be a great Walt Disney.

Tom Hanks? I'll have to see it.
  15. Grumpy-Fan

Grumpy-Fan Active Member

It`s supposed to be about the making of the movie. Part of the agreement between Ms. Travers and the Disneys was that she be apart of the filming process, with final approval of the screen-play. She was very difficult to deal with to say the least but walt wanted it so bad he put up with it. She said "NO" to adding annimation to the film but Walt put it in anyway. I think it`s an interesting story that will make a good movie. I`m not sure about Tom Hanks as Walt, but Based on the description of Ms. Travers; Streep sounds perfect.
  16. Grumpy-Fan

Grumpy-Fan Active Member

I just watched "Blue Bloods" I`m just not sure about Selleck portraying Walt. He looks the part but i`m not buying in.
  17. Silver Figment

Silver Figment Active Member

Interesting thought. I'm honestly not sure who could pull the role off. I do like Edward Norton but i'm not sure about him as Walt.
  18. MKCP 1985

MKCP 1985 Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. He was the only actor who came to my mind in terms of the build, the piercing eyes at times, the childlike wonder at other times. Take a look at photos of Walt in his younger, film-making days and then take a look at Norton's candid shots and photos from "The Illusionist." This forum won't allow me to insert photos for comparison. I still think he is more a natural fit than Tom Hanks, but that's just my opinion. It would be hard for me to put aside "Tom Hanks the actor" to believe him as Walt Disney, where I think Norton would be an easy sell.

Who else does anyone think would be a good fit?
  19. Grumpy-Fan

Grumpy-Fan Active Member

I`m not that familiar with Ed Norton so I just looked at some pics. He does look the part in alot of them. Some of his expressions remind me of some pics I`ve seen of Walt for sure.
  20. SleepingMonk

SleepingMonk Well-Known Member

Adrien Brody has the proper build, facial structure and acting ability.