Tom Hanks as Walt Disney.

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
Tom Hanks as Walt Disney and Meryl Streep as P.L. Travers is the latest rumor I saw on Twitter. It sounds good to me.

Atomicmickey

It's not exactly perfect "looks" casting--but with makeup, and if he nails the voice and mannerisms, I can see it. Hanks is talented enough to probably
come up with something convincing.

Epcotdad

I think this is the first casting of many for the Magic Kingdom movie project. I always said that Paul Newman was the man for the role. His soft-spoken voice and his grandfather like persona would be a perfect fit. They will have a hard time finding some to play such an iconic man. Tom Hanks would try his best, but I believe would come off as fake, like when he did the voice for Santa in the Polar express. I my opinion I think that Tom Selleck would actually pull it off. One of the best part of the Meet the Robinson's movie was when he was talking to his younger self, you could hear some of the low monotone and soothing sounds in his voice Like Mr. Disney. Plus we all know he can pull off the mustache, Magnum PI

Patrick_Ears

Tom Hanks is a outstanding actor and one of my favorite. Now we all know there is only one Walt Disney, but sometimes people can act like that person and nail it on the head. Look at Marilyn Monroe there were lot's of people who acted like her and still today they do and some turn out very nicely. Hey give Tom a chance.

PeoplemoverTTA

Not sure about the casting yet (I don't think he has to look just like Walt to pull it off, but I also fear it would be too much of a "stunt" casting - so that I wouldn't believe he was Walt, too distracted by Tom Hanks, the actor. We'll see, though).

I think this story would make for a really interesting film, though. Travers was a pretty fascinating lady, and Walt's persistence resulted in my favorite movie of all time. I'd like to see this be sort of an art house movie, though, which I doubt will happen. A small picture in small release. If it turns into a huge mega-flick debacle, it'll kill it.

baymenxpac

It's not exactly perfect "looks" casting--but with makeup, and if he nails the voice and mannerisms, I can see it. Hanks is talented enough to probably
come up with something convincing.

100% agree. look at frank langella in frost/nixon. didn't seem like a logical physical choice, but i dare to say no one has delivered a more compelling and convincing richard nixon.

Figment571

Isn't Tom Hanks slated to be in the "Jungle Cruise" movie? I would think if anything that he may appear as that character in the "Magic Kingdom" film. Now as far as an actor who could play Walt, that is very tricky, depends on what age they want to present Walt, but in all likelihood it would bee '55 or older Walt, after he had become "America's Uncle".

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
Isn't Tom Hanks slated to be in the "Jungle Cruise" movie? I would think if anything that he may appear as that character in the "Magic Kingdom" film. Now as far as an actor who could play Walt, that is very tricky, depends on what age they want to present Walt, but in all likelihood it would bee '55 or older Walt, after he had become "America's Uncle".

That`s about right. Travers agreed to let the Disneys make the movie in 1960 which would have made him 59 at the time. Mary Poppins was released in 1964.

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
It`s supposed to be about the making of the movie. Part of the agreement between Ms. Travers and the Disneys was that she be apart of the filming process, with final approval of the screen-play. She was very difficult to deal with to say the least but walt wanted it so bad he put up with it. She said "NO" to adding annimation to the film but Walt put it in anyway. I think it`s an interesting story that will make a good movie. I`m not sure about Tom Hanks as Walt, but Based on the description of Ms. Travers; Streep sounds perfect.

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
I think this is the first casting of many for the Magic Kingdom movie project. I always said that Paul Newman was the man for the role. His soft-spoken voice and his grandfather like persona would be a perfect fit. They will have a hard time finding some to play such an iconic man. Tom Hanks would try his best, but I believe would come off as fake, like when he did the voice for Santa in the Polar express. I my opinion I think that Tom Selleck would actually pull it off. One of the best part of the Meet the Robinson's movie was when he was talking to his younger self, you could hear some of the low monotone and soothing sounds in his voice Like Mr. Disney. Plus we all know he can pull off the mustache, Magnum PI

I just watched "Blue Bloods" I`m just not sure about Selleck portraying Walt. He looks the part but i`m not buying in.

MKCP 1985

Interesting thought. I'm honestly not sure who could pull the role off. I do like Edward Norton but i'm not sure about him as Walt.

Maybe, maybe not. He was the only actor who came to my mind in terms of the build, the piercing eyes at times, the childlike wonder at other times. Take a look at photos of Walt in his younger, film-making days and then take a look at Norton's candid shots and photos from "The Illusionist." This forum won't allow me to insert photos for comparison. I still think he is more a natural fit than Tom Hanks, but that's just my opinion. It would be hard for me to put aside "Tom Hanks the actor" to believe him as Walt Disney, where I think Norton would be an easy sell.

Who else does anyone think would be a good fit?

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
I`m not that familiar with Ed Norton so I just looked at some pics. He does look the part in alot of them. Some of his expressions remind me of some pics I`ve seen of Walt for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom