Tokyo Disney--Reflections and Photos

yeti

Original Poster
Our next stop is Westernland, with continuing service to Adventureland...

DSCF1720.jpg

Despite the awkward title, Westernland felt no less familiar. It feels less like a waterside street in that it's cramped in a smaller space like DL's, but it shares WDW's style. After critter country it's the smallest of the lands in this particular Magic Kingdom. We didn't check out Tom Sawyer Island, but from what I could tell on the railroad, all the necessary elements are present, including Zeke's long-lost housewarming party. Granted, it was all smoke and no fire, but I appreciated the effort.

Big Thunder Mountain was a blast--very similar to Florida's if not noticeably slower and, yes, a little more crazy attention to detail. The ending twists things up a bit, but I'd hate to give it away now. ;)

Add another special Tokyo surprise that'll have some of you hootin' and hollerin'...The Country Bears go seasonal here as well! They were presenting Vacation Jamboree throughout the week.

Some pictures...
DSCF1726.jpg

DSCF1724.jpg

DSCF1723.jpg

DSCF1722.jpg

I've got nothing but good things to say about Adventureland. Yes, that include's Stitch's hostile takeover bid upon the beloved Tiki Room.

DSCF1717.jpg

In truth, the show was rather charming. Far more so than SNSGE, which boasts a similar Stitch AA though not as fluid, less cute, and doesn't rock the ukelele. It was all in Japanese, but they were all songs you'll find familiar if you've seen Lilo and Stitch. The story was probably quite dull, so I wouldn't bother going for a translation device here.

I was very impressed with TDL's AL, much more so than I am with MK's or DL's. It was a funny sort of amalgamation of many architectural styles and thematic periods, but the ease of passage was flawless. The French Quarter section--almost identical to New Orleans Square-- marked a suitable entryway from World Bazaar. From there, you had the option to pass through a pleasantly hidden-away dining thoroughfare themed to the southern American (not South American) tropics--quite close to Louisiana, to be sure. It wasn't until then when you hit the traditional 'deep jungle' crossed with Polynesia vibe you used to get in Florida before Prince Ali came to town. Group that with the best merchandise in the park (actually, the best AL bazaar anywhere, I guess), and plenty of space to spread out without sacrificing theming, and what you're left with is quite lovely: the best Adventureland around (haven't seen Hong Kong's).

DSCF1718.jpg

DSCF1714.jpg

DSCF1708.jpg

DSCF1707.jpg

DSCF1706.jpg

DSCF1700.jpg

PotC was like Disneyland's with only one drop, some extra Japanese narration, better AA's, and a separate unload station downstairs like you get in WDW.

yeti

Original Poster
Just wanted to stop by and thank any of you who've recently "liked" my posts in this thread...and to anyone patient enough to put up with me. You've got my attention; gargantuan update coming your way tomorrow, a month in the making. ;)

yeti

Original Poster
Oh, hey.

How's everyone's summer been? :D

I am yeti, your friendly tour guide and one heck of a lazy slob if I do say so myself. But enough about me, let's talk about you, and how you're gonna help me bring back a prehistoric trip report that I've failed to upkeep worse than...I'll let you finish that sentence.

Ironically enough...we were left off in Tomorrowland!

DSCF1520.jpg

Other than the nice flowerbeds you can see above, there really wasn't much to this particular realm beyond retro enthusiasts who'll no doubt get a kick out of seeing what it looked like in the 70's. I will add that their Space Mountain is particularly wonderful, like DL's sans music, but with added sound effects that make the rocket simulate travelling notably faster.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Sorry I don't come to the Tokyo board often (ironically), but GREAT trip report so far...makes me miss it so much!!

yeti

Original Poster
Now...onto the big cheese....

DSCF1579.jpg

Whatever you've heard about Tokyo Disney Sea, whatever you've imagined...I want you to abandon any such inhibitors and take my word for it that it is, indeed, the most elaborate theme park on the face of the earth. Nowhere else other than very select areas of WDW or DL do you find such pinpointed artistry to create a world so mechanically teeming with life. So many things here just...move. The whirlpools and vehicles of MI. An elevated, completely unnecessary, highly intricate passenger railway, alongside four-wheelers, bustling street performers, period billboards, and a honkin' steamship celebrate the beautiful side of Northern Americana worth celebrating (a gangster ride ala Dick Tracey but in New York would be perfect to offset the light). The kinetic frenzy of an Arabian marketplace. The tangible gadgets of Fortress Explorations, including self-fire cannons and cool effects you don't need an iPhone to activate. Flames licking the thin air in front of Raging Spirits. Pistons pumping. Steamships steaming. All the small but expensive things...the gyroscopes and magnetisms...collaborate to paint a greater picture, one where the story is in the atmosphere, not contrived or literal. Y'know, the way Disney is supposed to be.

It's magical.

DSCF1646.jpg

I'll let some pictures do the talking in a bit...

bcalltimandanna

Thank you so much for all of the great pictures! Yeah, Tomorrowland is pretty much the number one selling point for me. I know TDS will blow me away, but the pure nostalgia of the Tomorrowland entrance will probably bring tears to my eyes. Do they have a CoP there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom