Tokyo Disney--Reflections and Photos

yeti

Original Poster
So no one's posted here since Thursday??

Well, that's okay. If I can draw anyone's attention to this particular portal of the WDWMAGIC world during this time of chaos and eagerness and overeagerness and anxiety for putting up with the overeager, I'd like to do so by sharing my almost fresh thoughts on visiting TDR-a place we all should really be talking about.

Tokyo Disney is the gold standard of theme park engineering. The rides are mint. The OLC can do no wrong. That was my perception of the resort before I departed for Narita International Airport in Tokyo just over two weeks ago, for a trip that included four days in Disney. I'm careful to italicize the that instead of the was, for after years of following up on trip reports and fan discussion, then weeks of obsessing over reported wait times on Deepdisney as there's no stopping me once I've found my inner fanboy...when I finally experienced what all the fuss was about, there was a smile on my face. It didn't leave.

Tokyo Disney Resort is what you get when you blend the promise of class and quality on Disney's behalf, with the follow-up on that oath. That isn't exclusive to the sparkling quality of the rides that is often heard about (but not an exaggeration), but more to the point, the attitude of those around you. In some ways it's intangible, but there is indeed a greater sense of welcoming here than I've received at any Disney property worldwide. It's actually unbelievable sometimes; we noticed as we were leaving the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel that the valets continued to wave us goodbye even as our cab had practically left the driveway.

Every single--seriously--every single cast member waves to you as you're passing by, or at the very least as soon as you've made eye contact with them. Entering the parks is organized chaos; true, quite a few (but definitely not everyone) flat-out book it to their favorite attraction, but it never makes you feel dizzy. Moreover, we thought, that feeling of boundless freedom when you pass through the turnstile click at park opening should be characteristic of entering any Disney theme park. But I digress...all the while, cast members are out in full-force--multitudes, it seems like--wishing you (presumably) a magical day. They all look like they wouldn't rather be anywhere else, and I'm sure that isn't the case for all of them. They are the friendliest, most efficient, and most helpful theme park employees around....and almost none of them speak a word of English.

That's the lion's share of what makes TDR's customer service so unconventional. If budget isn't a concern, you all owe it to yourselves as fans of Disney or theme parks or Disney theme parks to take the trip you've always dreamed of. Tokyo Disneyland feels just familiar and just different enough to make it the perfect substitute for that yearly trip to WDW. Anything I've mentioned that isn't a cultural consistency with the rest of Japan is something Disney in America could learn from.

But there's so much else I want to talk about, and I can't possibly organize it all here and now. Thus...as opposed to a typical trip report (since I honestly don't have the energy to recount by-the-minute details of my trip), I'd prefer to keep this a discussion, Q&A style I guess. That is, if you have any questions regarding what to expect or what to prepare for or restaurants I'd recommend or ANYTHING really, I'd be delighted to respond while I periodically update with photos and thoughts on specific areas/attractions. That is, assuming anyone reads this...

With that said...konnichiwa, and welcome to Tokyo Disneyland!
DSCF1806.jpg

bcalltimandanna

This will be fun! So......let's start from the beginning. How was the flight? Haha. It is my absolute dream to go to TDR. I can't wait to hear all about it. I imagine that TDS is going to give me an EPCOT Center 1984ish feeling inside.

alissafalco

Please talk about and show pics of the places you ate at and what you recommend. Please show different attraction pics also. Thanks!

yeti

Original Poster
This will be fun! So......let's start from the beginning. How was the flight? Haha. It is my absolute dream to go to TDR. I can't wait to hear all about it. I imagine that TDS is going to give me an EPCOT Center 1984ish feeling inside.

The flight there was considerably smooth actually. Our second flight from Toronto to Tokyo flew north over Alaska and the eastern tip of Russia instead of over the ocean, which was interesting. The way back was like a roller coaster.

I'm not sure how TDS relates with walking into 80's EPCOT as I've never experienced that myself...sad I know. I will say it's breathtaking and the most beautiful theme park vista to walk into anywhere. Something about Mount Prometheus towering over the Fortress Explorations just as you're walking in...it's forced perspective done absolutely right. MP is THE greatest weenie (yeah yeah, let's see if you have a better way to phrase that) for a thrill ride anywhere.

DSCF1613.jpg

Please talk about and show pics of the places you ate at and what you recommend. Please show different attraction pics also. Thanks!

Now, I have to be honest...I'm looking through my photos, and I can tell you that I didn't snap *quite* as many pictures as I had hoped, and they'e mostly landscape shots. Meaning no food pictures :(. You'll also have to excuse some of my awkward angles...let's just say I'm no Tom Bricker.

I do nevertheless remember just about everywhere we dined, including what I would and wouldn't recommend. Know this: if there's any department where someone may find TDR inferior to WDW, this is the one. That isn't to say that there's nothing good to eat on the resort--far from it, in fact I'm sure WDW has some worse quick dining options than you'd find anywhere here, plus there's none of that dining plan nonsense. The problem is that the portions are MUCH smaller, and expensive. The relatively little amount of food the Japanese eat isn't just a misunderstood stereotype based on my observation. It's quite true, so if you're used to big meals be prepared to lose a few pounds if you're spending a lot of time in Japan. Personally, I find the counter service food better in TDR and the restaurants better in WDW, generally speaking. I'd rank my restaurants as follows (from worst to best):

#5: Center Street Coffeehouse (TDL)--Art deco themed restaurant is a great spot for a quick sit-down, meat and potatoes breakfast. With only two items on the menu (eggs or pancakes), there's not a lot to choose from, and the portions may be too small for some, we found it just fine. Closest you'll get to a Denny's at Disney (of which there are actually quite a few strewn throughout Tokyo!). World Bazaar (the TDL equivalent of Main Street) has two convenient concourses in the middle of the street towards Adventureland and Tomorrowland; you'll find this on the latter one.

#4: SS. Columbia Dining Room (TDS)--Quite high-end, popular and expensive, with fabulous theming set inside the majestic steamship docked in American Waterfront. Though it feels like you're eating on the Titanic, the food itself was....not really anything to write home about. Not bad, per se, but not as exquisite as you might expect. A nighttime stroll along the deck with great views of Tokyo and Tokyo Bay might make it worth your while. It may be a good idea to check out the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge underneath it, which I hear rarely has a wait.

#3: Restaurant Hokusai (TDL)--One of I think two traditional Japanese food restaurants on property. Will you or won't you like it? It all depends on how you feel towards real--not mall food court Teriyaki Experience--authentic Japanese cuisine: miso soup, udon, cold noodles, etc. I personally really enjoyed it. Get comfortable with chopsticks.

#2: Ristorante di Canaletto (TDS)--Choose to sit outside and watch the gondolas float past should you dine here. Perfect Venetian theming is so without a hitch it's scary. Very good portions even if the pizza isn't quite up there with Via Napoli, just try not to time it at the same time as the horrible Duffy parade nearby. Find it hidden away close to McDuck's and the portal into American Waterfront. This picture is the closest I could find--gives you an idea of the surrounding atmosphere, the restaurant would be tucked away towards the middle right:
DSCF1615.jpg

#1: Magellan's (TDS)-- Wow. If you're okay with a hefty sum on your receipt, this is the one unforgettable meal we had at the resort. Located inside Fortress Explorations when you approach it from the east side, the theming is a treasure trove for anyone familiar with the Age of Exploration. Feels a little like Leonardo's Hideaway. Or, if you will, picture the Adventurer's Club set in the Renaissance and you might have a closer idea. Fantastic--I ordered the beef cheeks that, while delicious, sat in the bottom of my stomach for much of the remaining evening. Well worth it though--and fun; a very cool surprise is in store if you get to sit in the wine cellar. Fixed price menu but you can order à la carte.

yeti

Original Poster
Yes! This! and more pics! I love their decorations for the anniversary... so cute!

They were...interesting. We noticed these hilarious "happy machines" that generate the happiness throughout the parks. That was our interpretation, anyway. They, um...conveniently lit up in more magical ways when you activated it with some toy for sale in the shops. :rolleyes:

yeti

Original Poster
Let's explore the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel.
DSCF1492.jpg

See any burned-out bulbs?

While most consider MiraCosta the better of the two premier deluxe Disney hotels on property, I can tell you that the TDH has some unique perks and is, IMO, just as unique and lovely. First of all: early entrance to Tokyo Disneyland park. Yes, it's only an 'extra magic fifteen minutes', and no, you cannot ride anything during this time except (in my experience) Star Tours. But getting ahead of the outer crowds is worth it's weight in gold, especially on crowded days (Friday-Monday). I can attest to that because of how long I had to wait with the regular crowds to get into DisneySea.

DSCF1500.jpg

Hotel entry line, about ten minutes before they let us in.

DSCF1514.jpg

Don't mind if I Pooh...

DSCF1573.jpg

The hotel itself is lavishly decorated in turn of the century Victorian, all the while decidedly Disney. Disney character flourishes abound, much like the Disneyland Hotel in California or Paris, but much more intricate ala the Grand Floridian made grander.

DSCF1574.jpg

MM4Ever

Love your report and pictures! I actually really dig their celebration decorations. We went during the TDL 25th celebration and also the TDS 5th celebration. You are right - OLC can do no wrong! I'll never forget our first trip when we entered the gates and my husband ran off to get FP for Journey while my boys and I were looking around the entrance area. He came back saying we wouldn't believe our eyes, and he was right. Coming under the archway in Mediterranean Harbor, my jaw dropped. It's AMAZING. The rest of the park didn't disappoint. Every single themed land is done with such attention to detail. I want to go back!

yeti

Original Poster
Best trip report ever. I can't wait to read more! If you don't mind me asking, how much did TDH cost?

Why thanks! I'll have to get back to you on that...wasn't my wallet.

I do know it's up there, I think more so than WDW resorts.

Love your report and pictures! I actually really dig their celebration decorations. We went during the TDL 25th celebration and also the TDS 5th celebration. You are right - OLC can do no wrong! I'll never forget our first trip when we entered the gates and my husband ran off to get FP for Journey while my boys and I were looking around the entrance area. He came back saying we wouldn't believe our eyes, and he was right. Coming under the archway in Mediterranean Harbor, my jaw dropped. It's AMAZING. The rest of the park didn't disappoint. Every single themed land is done with such attention to detail. I want to go back!

Thanks! I wish I had taken more of that stunning entrance, but the one I posted was the best I've got.

I tolerate the decorations, but I LOVE the fact that they mark their anniversaries with actual ATTRACTIONS.

Shere_Khan

I'm surprised the attraction signs are English first.

I love your report. I could only dream of visiting there. Thanks for all the info and pictures.

yeti

Original Poster
Can't wait to read more!

Neither can I!

So without any further ado, let's do the must dos cough, ahem, what I mean to say is, talk a little about Tokyo Disneyland (the park).

DSCF1498.jpg

If you're staying at the TDH, try to get a park view. This was taken outside my window.

You enter through World Bazaar, which as you all probably know, is shadowed beneath an enormous glass roof. Is it odd? Definitely. But not necessarily a distraction...though I do prefer the style and architecture of the Main Streets in the States. The thing I noticed is that it's smaller than pictures make it look, much shorter than ours, it seems. I missed the horse-drawn trollies and period automobiles.

If you're all about size, the hub will compensate for Main Street coming up short. It's bigger and more beautiful than other any Disney park I've been to. If you're not busy circumnavigating the hub on a world bizarre trip aboard an omnibus that....takes you in a circle..., the size allows you to dart across to the other side of the park without swimming through a body of bodies. And lo and behold, trees! Lot's of 'em.

DSCF1511.jpg

Thing 1 and Thing 2 and Thing 3??

DSCF1510.jpg

Sweetheart Cafe--equivalent to the Main Street Bakery (sans Starbucks)

The castle is the same as you get in Florida, only a walk-through attraction replaces the restaurant (we didn't get to try it) and the paint scheme is different here (to paraphrase: darker and pinker).

The first land we got to absorb--after riding Pooh's Hunny Hunt, more on that later, on our way to Splash Mountain, ibid--was Fantasyland.
DSCF1516.jpg

Now where do I park my stroller?

You may have been led to believe, like I was, that their Fantasyland is rather stark and uninteresting based on photos of renaissance fair tents and a Dumbo stuck in the '50s.

DSCF1518.jpg

It is VERY jarring to see Dumbo parked in front of the Haunted Mansion.

This couldn't be further from the truth. It isn't a concrete playground as I had anticipated--there's plenty of lush greenery and color in it that actually makes it quite charming. The architecture includes, but definitely isn't limited to, the tents we all know and love. Like MK's, there's plenty of contrast with fairy tale village motifs, and unlike MK's, plenty of gardens and seating. Add to that a unique Alice's labyrinth backdrop (don't get too excited--it's just a counter service buffet, albeit a nice one with wonderful (pun not intended) theming and good food) and an It's a Small World where they actually built the lively Mary Blair facade even where the boats never leave the building...

DSCF1571.jpg

DSCF1572.jpg

...and you've got quite a lovely, spacious Fantasyland....

....and that's without mentioning Pooh's Hunny hunt.

DSCF1513.jpg

The heffalump in the bedroom.

Just another Winnie the Pooh ride? Think think think again.

yeti

Original Poster
I'm surprised the attraction signs are English first.

I love your report. I could only dream of visiting there. Thanks for all the info and pictures.
No problem at all! I appreciate your enthusiasm; the signs EVERYWHERE are predominantly English. Meaning there may be a Japanese translation, but their characters are smaller and seem to come secondhand.

yeti

Original Poster
So...about Pooh's Hunny Hunt....

I apologize that I didn't have time for a longer update as promised, but this attraction deserves some discussion in its own right. Believe the hype, folks...I was skeptical, but it is, indeed, the greatest Fantasyland dark ride ever, and one of the truly unique experiences of the entire trip. It's not just the trackless technology, and it isn't exactly a quantum leap in engineering--it's not an "event" ride in the same vein as a category E adventure like Indiana Jones or Tower of Terror.

But you know that, because...it's in Fantasyland. For god's sake, it's Winnie the Pooh. So it does what FL rides do best, with enough innovation to pull off some, in theory, very practical effects that charm because they're just so darn clever. What sets it apart is the unpredictability--feeling like your hunnypot is moving with a mind of its own--and that in turn makes the experience all the more lifelike. Watching an incredibly fluid Poohbear floating about on a balloon as you interact with other characters, and feeling like you need to ride it again in order to see everything...it's everything you want in a ride, really. Atmospheric, whimsical, sensational...I'm trying but there truly are no words. As a dark ride--and I must clarify this--as a dark ride, it took my breath away. Tied with another two for #1 ride, one of those two being...

DSCF1535.jpg

You may either find this a familiar sight, or notice some special details in the exterior that set it apart from its twin sisters. At the very least, you'll notice this:

DSCF1538.jpg

DSCF1544.jpg

Take a gander at those logs. Thinking what I'm thinking? That's right, it's not a gander, it's a duck. Sorry, I mean, check it out--the logs move in the opposite direction!

If that doesn't amaze you, well good for you because it shouldn't. But believe me when I say that this Splash Mountain is indeed out of the ordinary, and isn't, as so many people online seem to think very forwardly about it, the same as Florida's.

First of all, the placemaking is perfect. The land built around it (critter country) is rife with detail, and the Western River Railroad threads in and out of it very realistically.

DSCF1526.jpg

Then there's the queue, which is phenomenal. Very similar to It's tough to be a Bug, it is themed as an underground burrow as opposed to a rusty railroad shack edged into the mountain. When you walk in and see the enormous space open up in front of you...wow. It was amazing, plus you literally can't see a foot in front of you.

I hate to leave on that note but I'm in a huge rush for a weekend getaway. I'll see you all on Monday.

yeti

Original Poster
Hello all!

I know, I know...broken promises. Sorry. Misplaced my memory card, dastardly thing. Bad excuse, but hey, I'm here now, so while I've still got some night owl hours left in me before I run out of steam, let's wrap up Tokyo Disneyland.

First, where we left off: Splash Mountain. The ride itself is as mentioned, a welcome change in design. Lots of characters and scenes switched around, plus a more colorful lighting palette, newer-looking animatronics, and in the words of Walt, "plussed-up" sets. For instance, before you're heckled by the vultures at the bottom of the lift hill, and on the climb itself, there's plenty more detail in the rockwork and oversized flora in your surroundings, plus--wouldn't you know it-- fog! Always nice to spice up a spooky sequence with some fog. My favorite SM planetside. Everything was satisfactual (even the jumping fountains--I checked!).

Now...onward. But not before sharing some more little pieces of time...

DSCF1530.jpg

DSCF1531.jpg

DSCF1532.jpg

DSCF1543.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom