Tipping is this fair ?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I joined today to make a point and I am shocked at how people are reacting to each other, I am a reasonable tipper, however I do not see why I should reward someone for remembering what drink/ meal I have ordered!! It is their job, they knew what there were applying for, its not up to me to make their wage if they are not putting the effort in. As I said I tip however I base it on service, if they are keeping my drink topped up and being attentive they get the going rate for a tip if not more but if I have to ask for drinks to be topped or fresh cutlery they still get a tip but not as much as someone who gave good service. I will not stick the suggested percentage just because it’s the “thing to do” when I go the US.
Case in point.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
There also appears to be an air of hand-wringing, holier than thou and finger pointing over this for daring to bring up this subject for discussion . I'm sure many reading have not dared put their thoughts forward due to this, least you should be branded at best "cheap" :hilarious:

I joined today to make a point and I am shocked at how people are reacting to each other, I am a reasonable tipper, however I do not see why I should reward someone for remembering what drink/ meal I have ordered!! It is their job, they knew what there were applying for, its not up to me to make their wage if they are not putting the effort in. As I said I tip however I base it on service, if they are keeping my drink topped up and being attentive they get the going rate for a tip if not more but if I have to ask for drinks to be topped or fresh cutlery they still get a tip but not as much as someone who gave good service. I will not stick the suggested percentage just because it’s the “thing to do” when I go the US.
Really.
image.jpg

HRHPrincessAriel

point being?

Lucky

I wonder if servers have grown accustom to bad tips from people of certain countries. Not that all people from certain countries would be bad tippers but on average if a server can pick out an accent and say hey, the chances that I'm going to get a bad tip from that table are much higher than this table over here and adjust service accordingly. Just wondering if this happens, seems pretty obvious that it could and probably does. Any servers out there that service international crowds care to comment?
When I was a server my colleagues liked to stereotype certain people as lower tippers but I never bought into it. There's a danger of it becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Kit83

Original Poster
The hand wringing is over cheap foreigners hiding behind their foreigness to tip less then the expected norm. "I've been to Disney 10 times, I tip 8% bc I don't know any better." Someone who doesn't know any better, and simply asks, will get a simple answer.

The simple answer should be in the menu and outside the restaurant that the tip/wage is "obligatory" but the official answer is its non obligatory . Why not just list the tip as servers cost on the bill .

If given a choice many tourists (visiting a restaurant for once only) would not pay any tip let alone 8% as you suggest, the majority of the worlds country's don't have the same tipping culture as the US and therefore are not expecting this misuse of the term tip . As you say regular visitors have no excuse not understanding the custom, but there are always first time visitors, I don't think this information is given out at immigration .:)

Its rather absurd to suggest not being aware of a fact is hiding ! just maybe those that "don't know any better" just don't know any better ! Why wait for those who as you say "doesn't know any better" to simply ask, when it could be made clear to all . Without better information "cheap foreigners" will continue to be " cheap foreigners " sadly .

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The simple answer should be in the menu and outside the restaurant that the tip/wage is "obligatory" but the official answer is its non obligatory . Why not just list the tip as servers cost on the bill .

If given a choice many tourists (visiting a restaurant for once only) would not pay any tip let alone 8% as you suggest, the majority of the worlds country's don't have the same tipping culture as the US and therefore are not expecting this misuse of the term tip . As you say regular visitors have no excuse not understanding the custom, but there are always first time visitors, I don't think this information is given out at immigration .:)

Its rather absurd to suggest not being aware of a fact is hiding ! just maybe those that "don't know any better" just don't know any better ! Why wait for those who as you say "doesn't know any better" to simply ask, when it could be made clear to all . Without better information "cheap foreigners" will continue to be " cheap foreigners " sadly .
You know though. You are trying to skirt the system because you don't like it. You are cheap. Now, if it's a first time traveller, who also happens to struggle to read english, and can't read the suggested tip line on the bill, then it's innocent and understandable. For someone like you, it's not.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You know though. You are trying to skirt the system because you don't like it. You are cheap. Now, if it's a first time traveller, who also happens to struggle to read english, and can't read the suggested tip line on the bill, then it's innocent and understandable. For someone like you, it's not.
It basically boils down to "When in Rome.....and if you don't like it don't go to Rome".

HRHPrincessAriel

or just learn the rules of the country you are visiting? I'm sure they sell travel books for the US in England and most other countires. The internet is also a wonderful new invention.
With your mind set, as an American coming to visit the UK, I could still drive on the right side of the road. That's how they do it in MY country and the a good chunk of the world. Why should I change?

Last edited:

Kit83

Original Poster

Not at all, to correct you rewarding servers when deserved is fine with me however don't kid yourself that when a tip is paid its a tip because its not, it appears here to be their wage . Like most people I always pay my bills .

No one here has any idea what I have or have not done in the world to be labelled " cheap" unless asking a question is deemed to be a reason, as a slur I'm not insulted . However a tip is a servers wage and you only pay the 20% wage/tip then you are not paying a real tip when it is deserved now that's "cheap" .

To make it clear when you pay a "tip" you are just paying the wage of the server a point many here continually choose to ignore ! Is this because people get a warm glow from leaving a tip when in fact they have not ?

Kit83

Original Poster
or just learn the rules of the country you are visiting? I'm sure they sell travel books for the US in England and most other countires. The internet is also a wonderful new invention.
With your mind set, as an American coming to visit the UK, I could still drive on the right side of the road. That's how they do it in MY country and the a good chunk of the world. Why should I change?

Yet servers still continue to not get their wage/tip
You could try driving on the right but a friendly bobby would soon make it clear its against the law not to mention unsafe .
This is my mind set not everyone will check every detail before they go fact !
I was unaware that your tipping laws had been ratified by the US government!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Not at all, to correct you rewarding servers when deserved is fine with me however don't kid yourself that when a tip is paid its a tip because its not, it appears here to be their wage . Like most people I always pay my bills .

No one here has any idea what I have or have not done in the world to be labelled " cheap" unless asking a question is deemed to be a reason, as a slur I'm not insulted . However a tip is a servers wage and you only pay the 20% wage/tip then you are not paying a real tip when it is deserved now that's "cheap" .

To make it clear when you pay a "tip" you are just paying the wage of the server a point many here continually choose to ignore ! Is this because people get a warm glow from leaving a tip when in fact they have not ?
You're talking in circles. You know our customs. You don't like this particular one, so you want to do your own thing. Which, you can, but you will be labeled cheap. Simple.

rt06

You are obviously a well traveled individual. It's important to do your homework to avoid awkward and potentially embarrassing situations in a strange land. Most people don't bother. We've all run into that "ugly American."

But to do your homework and disparage local custom because that's not the way it is where you're from is awfully pretentious.

I didn't call you cheap. Your pre-calculated tip is. Who knows? Maybe you get crappy service and no tip is justified. What you're saying is 15-20% is unjustified no matter how outstanding the service may be.

Last edited:

Kit83

Original Poster
You're talking in circles. You know our customs. You don't like this particular one, so you want to do your own thing. Which, you can, but you will be labeled cheap. Simple.

I always have and will continue to respect this custom I don't believe I said I would or have not .

The op was in the form of a question designed to invoke discussion I think it has.

I agree I'am talking in circles as many don't feel it necessary to read the whole thread .

I do like the custom of paying tips but just for those who are unaware, make it clear in Disney restaurants that the tip must be paid lest the server loses their pay .
I don't have the right to make these changes but I honestly think it would be of value many don't but that's okay its what forums are for .

anchorman314

The custom/widely-accepted practice in the US is to tip 15-20% for good service. The custom/widely-accepted practice in the UK is to only tip for exemplary service (I believe I have that right). I'm not quite sure how this turned into a huge philosophical debate. The original question was "Is it fair to do X?". The general consensus is that no, it's not "fair."

I can disagree with a local custom, but to get upset that my line of thinking is not "right" is a tad bit ludicrous. It'd be like me going to a restaurant in London, ordering a burger with chips, and being upset when I get a plate of fries instead of potato chips. I'm visiting London. I need to make myself aware that the local customs/definitions that I am used to may not apply. Bringing it more local, I live in Massachusetts. If I order a "regular" coffee, I get (or at least should get) a coffee with cream and sugar. If I do the same thing in other parts of the US, I'd get a coffee that is black. It's not the coffee shop clerk's fault my "custom" does not apply to their region of the country.

jakeman

I always have and will continue to respect this custom I don't believe I said I would or have not .
Curious because the below states very clearly that you will not tip based on percentage as is the local custom.

I don't really want to reopen this controversial topic but I would like to know what you think of how we plan to tip at WDW . I'am happy to tip the normal amounts for bags valet parking bar staff etc but when it comes to tipping in restaurants I have come up with this for a family of four eating (3 course) at a signature restaurant.

We will gave between 15 and 25 dollars depending on service, top end if they exceed our expected level of service bottom if its a normal level . If service is poor too slow rude etc we will not pay any tip and will make a formal complaint after first taking the matter up with the waiter .

We will not pay any extra for wine service unless they show expertise and then not a % (I've worked in the wine trade for 30 years ) but then only around $10 regardless of the wine cost . Wine sales in restaurants are a massive profit earner so we will not pay a % on already very inflated prices .

This is based on a 3 course meal for 4 with wine, cheaper meals we will pay 15 to 20 % of the food cost less tax and wine but that % will not exceed the 15 to 25 $ its no more work to serve more expensive food .

Florida minimum tipped wage is $4.91 assuming each waiter is tipped 15 $ per table and they serve 3 tables per hour for 6 hours inc lunch and dinner on a 8 hour day they should earn around $310 a day five days a week 48 weeks a year not bad even after tax .

It's all much easier here in europe service is always included. I often add to the bill if service is very good but I have also had the service charge removed if it was poor. I'not suggesting the USA should change its not for me to say .

I know this is a controversial subject for many especially for those who do the waiting on but just wanted to know your opinions and not offend anyone .

Kit83

Original Poster
The custom/widely-accepted practice in the US is to tip 15-20% for good service. The custom/widely-accepted practice in the UK is to only tip for exemplary service (I believe I have that right). I'm not quite sure how this turned into a huge philosophical debate. The original question was "Is it fair to do X?". The general consensus is that no, it's not "fair."

I can disagree with a local custom, but to get upset that my line of thinking is not "right" is a tad bit ludicrous. It'd be like me going to a restaurant in London, ordering a burger with chips, and being upset when I get a plate of fries instead of potato chips. I'm visiting London. I need to make myself aware that the local customs/definitions that I am used to may not apply. Bringing it more local, I live in Massachusetts. If I order a "regular" coffee, I get (or at least should get) a coffee with cream and sugar. If I do the same thing in other parts of the US, I'd get a coffee that is black. It's not the coffee shop clerk's fault my "custom" does not apply to their region of the country.

Yes I agree customs vary, making a custom clear to those who are unaware of said custom should be a courtesy I would hope . I make many a blunder with the customs here in France even after 20 years my french friends often happily admit they don't make sense to them !

epcot2004

I don't get tipped in my industry and I am not paid enough, now what? I have never agreed with the 'tipping' concept but it is part of life. We are very good tippers. Even if the service is sub-par I cannot remember ever leaving less than 15%.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom