Tipping is this fair ?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My mom worked as a waitress while in college. She told me several times how difficult and exhausting waitressing can be. So I would never, ever think of a set dollar amount for a tip and exclude the cost of the alcohol. Always tip at least 20% and if the service is exceptional, more. Most restaurants now pool tips - the IRS had issues with wait staff not reporting tips as income. And if there is a tip jar, always make sure I throw a couple of bucks in. I live in a college town and many of the wait staff at restaurants are students, like my mom was. Heck, I throw a dollar in the tip jar at the drive thru at Starbucks. And those baristas are probably well paid compared to other wait staff.

DisneyDaver

I don't really want to reopen this controversial topic but I would like to know what you think of how we plan to tip at WDW . I'am happy to tip the normal amounts for bags valet parking bar staff etc but when it comes to tipping in restaurants I have come up with this for a family of four eating (3 course) at a signature restaurant.

We will gave between 15 and 25 dollars depending on service, top end if they exceed our expected level of service bottom if its a normal level . If service is poor too slow rude etc we will not pay any tip and will make a formal complaint after first taking the matter up with the waiter .

We will not pay any extra for wine service unless they show expertise and then not a % (I've worked in the wine trade for 30 years ) but then only around $10 regardless of the wine cost . Wine sales in restaurants are a massive profit earner so we will not pay a % on already very inflated prices .

This is based on a 3 course meal for 4 with wine, cheaper meals we will pay 15 to 20 % of the food cost less tax and wine but that % will not exceed the 15 to 25 $ its no more work to serve more expensive food .

Florida minimum tipped wage is $4.91 assuming each waiter is tipped 15 $ per table and they serve 3 tables per hour for 6 hours inc lunch and dinner on a 8 hour day they should earn around $310 a day five days a week 48 weeks a year not bad even after tax .

It's all much easier here in europe service is always included. I often add to the bill if service is very good but I have also had the service charge removed if it was poor. I'not suggesting the USA should change its not for me to say .

I know this is a controversial subject for many especially for those who do the waiting on but just wanted to know your opinions and not offend anyone .

From a purely logical standpoint, I completely get what you are saying. In fact, when my wife and I splurge for an expensive dinner, I have pointed out to her for the sake of discussion about social norms how it is not logical that whether we buy a $200 bottle of wine or a $50 bottle of wine, the amount work is the same, but a 20% tip would be significantly higher on the $200 bottle.

That said, in the practical world of the US, tipping less than 15%-20% in a table service restaurant is offensive (unless service is poor). It is the custom and practice in the US and should be followed. The extra 15%-20% should just be considered "part of the price" of the food/drink.

I always tip 20% (unless service is poor), and if I couldn't afford to tip 20% on a meal at a restaurant, I would not eat at that restaurant.

Kit83

Original Poster
From a purely logical standpoint, I completely get what you are saying. In fact, when my wife and I splurge for an expensive dinner, I have pointed out to her for the sake of discussion about social norms how it is not logical that whether we buy a $200 bottle of wine or a $50 bottle of wine, the amount work is the same, but a 20% tip would be significantly higher on the $200 bottle.

That said, in the practical world of the US, tipping less than 15%-20% in a table service restaurant is offensive (unless service is poor). It is the custom and practice in the US and should be followed. The extra 15%-20% should just be considered "part of the price" of the food/drink.

I always tip 20% (unless service is poor), and if I couldn't afford to tip 20% on a meal at a restaurant, I would not eat at that restaurant.

Thanks for your comments and for understanding that I support and understand the US tipping practice the OP was intended as a question to field discussion on this subject not a statement of intent as many choose to think . It is very interesting and commendable how strongly people feel about tipping .

For the benefit of others
"The question mark ( ? ), also known as the interrogation point, query, and eroteme,[1] is a punctuation mark that indicates aninterrogative sentence, clause, or phrase in many languages. The question mark is not used for indirect questions. The question mark glyph is also often used in place of missing or unknown data. "

MissingDisney

Well Kit, if we're going to start schooling each other on grammatical correctness, you appear to need this:
IMG_72264093192985.jpeg

jakeman

Thanks for your comments and for understanding that I support and understand the US tipping practice the OP was intended as a question to field discussion on this subject not a statement of intent as many choose to think . It is very interesting and commendable how strongly people feel about tipping .

For the benefit of others
"The question mark ( ? ), also known as the interrogation point, query, and eroteme,[1] is a punctuation mark that indicates aninterrogative sentence, clause, or phrase in many languages. The question mark is not used for indirect questions. The question mark glyph is also often used in place of missing or unknown data. "
Nope.

You presented a series of criteria for validation by peers and you backpedaled into theoretical discussion once you realized you weren't going to get the validation you desired.

The percentage based tipping custom in the US isn't complicated and every statement you've made is just an attempt to either circumvent local custom or deflect the valid criticism that you are accumulating based on such circumvention.

However, you should be commended on your expert trolling. Not many first time trolls can garner 9 pages worth of conversation on such an inane topic that amounts to "when in Rome."

Kit83

Original Poster
Nope.

You presented a series of criteria for validation by peers and you backpedaled into theoretical discussion once you realized you weren't going to get the validation you desired.

The percentage based tipping custom in the US isn't complicated and every statement you've made is just an attempt to either circumvent local custom or deflect the valid criticism that you are accumulating based on such circumvention.

However, you should be commended on your expert trolling. Not many first time trolls can garner 9 pages worth of conversation on such an inane topic that amounts to "when in Rome."

The only trolling going on here is by others, my question was that just a question not a statement of intent looking for" validation" but a debate starter, anyway there is no point repeating myself again when you choose to not trust me, its your view, wrong but your view .

When you say "deflect" and "circumvent criticism" is that not what forums are for debate or are they to troll anyone who dares to even bring up a controversial subject ?

"Backpedaled" as you say is your interpretation I would say the discussion evolved, a normal feature of most forums.

I think the this thread needs to be blocked now as its deteriorated so badly .

jakeman

The only trolling going on here is by others, my question was that just a question not a statement of intent looking for" validation" but a debate starter, anyway there is no point repeating myself again when you choose to not trust me, its your view, wrong but your view .

When you say "deflect" and "circumvent criticism" is that not what forums are for debate or are they to troll anyone who dares to even bring up a controversial subject ?

"Backpedaled" as you say is your interpretation I would say the discussion evolved, a normal feature of most forums.

Your original post has no evidence of debate. You didn't call into question the custom, only looked for validation on circumventing said custom.
People are entitled to their views and jakeman I think your taking this to another level!!
Not really, just trying to elicit some honesty from the original poster.

However, this is repetitive and not fun anymore. So I'm out. :D

BuddyThomas

How has the thread deteriorated so badly? Because people disagree with you? No one is calling anyone names, etc. But hey, give yourself a nice pat on the back for advocating censorship as well as substandard tipping.

NMBC1993

It's a good thing my father hates anything Disney (with the exception of Pirates of the Caribbean and Fantasmic...for some reason those get a pass from being called "immature") or else these poor CMs might have to deal with a real slap in the face.

My father is of the opinion that he should not have to tip anyone for doing their job (hair stylists, pizza delivery, servers, etc.) because they already receive payment from their employers for the services they provide and if that isn't good enough, they should go find another job that is.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Since this was an attempt to see if the same cultural and societal norms were appropriate in the US as where the original poster resides its quite simple. A simple yes or no would suffice. If they wanted to include the rationale at the same time that surpassed the question. A quick search on gratuity or "tipping in the us vs europe" in your local search engine will yield sufficient content to educate oneself on appropriate behavior.

The European shop keepers customary following you around while in their establishment would be most disconcerting in most of the US.

Phonedave

This board is a great group of people and it is really refreshing to see that most know that tipping is not a city in China and you do the right thing.

I have to say that the responses on tipping at buffets really blow my mind though. The concept of reducing the tip to 10% just because the waiter doesn't bring your food is pretty twisted, and here is why:

In most restaurants, a waiter will not bring your food anyway. Unless you are talking about places like Denny's or the like, modern restaurants generally have "food runners" whose job is to run food out to tables all night long.

Yes, but in a buffet I am my own food runner. Do I get a cut of the tips then ?

fine buffets

Two words that should never be placed together.

-dave

Phonedave

However, 20% is not always the case on expensive wines. Google "How much should I tip on expensive wine" and you will get hundreds of articles on the subject. Here is on opinion, which is what I follow. If someone help me select a wine, describes the wines, asks my preferences, etc - then they get tipped more. If all the did was take my order for a bottle of "Bin 36" then that percentage goes down.

"This same sommelier said that few servers and few restaurants would be surprised — or feel significantly cheated — by a tip of 10 to 15 percent on a significantly high check whose principal component is pricey wine.

He was referring, he said, to this kind of scenario: a $1,600 check built from just $600 of food and a $1,000 bottle of wine. If the table in question tipped $250 instead of $320, he said, the server and restaurant would instantly understand why, and wouldn’t feel that the amount was out of line.

I’d add this: in my opinion, a diner should factor into his or her considerations not simply the amount of the bill represented by wine but how many bottles of wine went into that amount.
If a $1,600 check is built from $600 of food and $1,000 of wine but the $1,000 comprises three bottles — each selected after consultation with servers, each presented to the table with the requisite ceremony, each decanted, each poured bit by bit into diners’ glasses — that’s a lot more work for the restaurant than one $1,000 bottle. And in that case I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable tipping differently than I would for a $1,600 check built from $1,200 of food and $400 of wine.

Somehow people get all twisted up about the mark up on wine. What about the mark up on food? The mark up of food varies wildly. Vegetarian plates? insane markup. Beef - not so much, but nobody suggests tipping less for vegetables.

Very well said. 15% - 20% is a US custom. Take it for what it is. Either apply the custom, or know that you are being rude. I may like to sit with my feet up in the US, but I am not going to do it in India because I think their customs are silly. If I did, I would expect to be considered rude.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom