Tiffins - A new table service restaurant coming to Discovery Island at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Great pictures!! So excited for all the additions to my favorite park! Ate at the new Harambe market, and loved the options. Will be anxious to eat at this new venue!

You might be the only person I have heard say this is your favorite park. Just curious, what puts it over the top for you personally? The animals? Lower Crowds?

halltd

You might be the only person I have heard say this is your favorite park. Just curious, what puts it over the top for you personally? The animals? Lower Crowds?
DAK is my favorite as well. In my humble opinion, the theming at DAK is the best on property. It is totally immersive, the amount of effort that went into designing and planting a park so it looks as it does today is just astonishing if you think about it being flat empty cow pasture before it was constructed, you can discover something new around the corner on each visit, the attractions (with animals) really ARE unique each and every time you experience them, the background music in the park is crazy good, CTX was amazing when it first opened and I still remember it as such, the food selections are varied and unique, and the views you can get in and around the park are just stunning. I think it's because the buildings and nature are so well intertwined you see very little backstage areas or "warehouse buildings" that you can now see at the MK, Epcot, and DHS. To me, it's the closest you can get to being in the real environment the park is trying to replicate at any of the parks in Florida...or even the US.

I also like it for the same reason everyone else hates it, it's a park of discovery. It was never meant to be a "run between attraction" park. I can wander, people/nature watch, hit up some amazing shows, ride some amazing rides, marvel at the beauty of animals, and just chill. To me, it's never been just a "half-day park" like everyone calls it.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

DAK is my favorite park as well. Kilimanjaro Safaris is an incredible attraction, Everest is the best coaster in WDW even without a functioning Yeti, and Festival of the Lion King is the best show on property.

Beyond that, I feel Africa is the best themed land in the country when you factor in cohesive theming as well as attractions. It doesn't get credit because it doesn't have an intellectual property attached to it, but it certainly has a better attraction lineup than Diagon Alley or Cars Land.

The park has it's faults (Chester and Hester's, broken Yeti, Kali River Rapids) but the theming in Discovery Island, Africa and Asia is top notch.

flyerjab

This is not a joke - DAK is my favorite park.

I love how this needed a qualifier before the actual statement. :)

I know that this is slight thread drift but I think that the theming in Anandapur and Harambe are the pinnacle of theming out of all domestic parks - Disney and all others. This is anecdotal, but next time you are in DAK, go to Tamu Tamu or the bar in front of Tusker House and get a drink. Find a place to sit down and relax; there are many tucked in behind the wonderfully themed buildings in the village, or in the partially covered sitting area in back of Tamu Tamu. When the band is playing in the main street the effect of the theming is felt and seen throughout that entire area. And you can then look back towards the new Lion King theater, or walk out to the open air market where they sell fresh fruit and look beyond to the newly opened Harambe Marketplace - talk about depth of theming and immersion! Just order some lunch and sit in the marketplace area and take it all in as the train passes by in the background. It offers just a glimpse of the top of the train (also themed) as it journeys back to Rafiki's. There is thought and purpose to everything in that part of the park. The food in Tusker House is tremendous as far as buffet food goes, and I love the selection in the marketplace. This is what a fully immersed theme park should look and feel like when you are in it. You can tell that Joe Rohde cares about this park as it shines through everywhere. And that is just the village. You also happen to be right in front of one of the best E Ticket attractions in all of WDW. Killamanjaro Safaris is incredible every time I go on it because even though the animals don't change that much (it takes a long time to introduce any new species into this environment) the experience is different each time.

I get this same feeling as I walk down the main pathway towards Anandapur. The small village alongside the river is backed by Expedition Everest. There are lights that are strung over the walkway as you pass through this themed area. The monkey displays are incredible also. I still enjoy the good soaking that you get when you ride Kali (even though it should be 2 to 3 times as long) and my family really likes the centrally located Yak and Yeti. As far as theming goes, one of my favorite restaurants. Ask to see if you can get a table on the 2nd floor that looks down to the main area. And all of the artwork that is placed everywhere inside, it is like a cultural museum in that establishment and I have often wondered how many people take the time to look. The best part for me though is how Everest is always looming in the background. And from the looks of how the Rivers of Light area is developing, Asia will be that much more beautiful and complete. I guess one could say that DAK is my EPCOT. It is a truly unique approach to a theme park that is not over-toonified, has stayed true to its mission, is very educational, supports conservation of species and has some theming that is on par with TDS (that is my opinion).

I can tie this back into the main post by saying that I expect the level of detail of this new signature restaurant to be top notch. I feel like this park is growing up a bit. The transformation of the paint schemes on Discovery Island is approaching a more mature feel as opposed to a more cartoonish look. I like the new look personally and expect this new TS to follow along this same theme. The restaurant, I am hoping, will be more than just a more expensive Pizzafari. ;) And I also wonder if it will offer some sort of glimpse into Pandora itself. It doesn't need to be anything grand, just a hint of what is in store for everyone in the new land. Also, was a timeline ever released for when this restaurant is going to open? I don't recall a mention of an opening date, menu or anything.

Last edited:

doctornick

My favorite park too. Just fantastic theming and environments. And the rides/attractions they do have are great -- it could use more, but they have good quality. Really looking forward to the RoL and Pandora additions.

Goofyque'

First the immersive theming. If all I did was walk around, it would be a great day! The shows are all Broadway quality, and seeing them each trip is a must do!

Let's not forget the food!!! Y&Y, not only an outstanding TS, but rich in beauty and artifacts. Flame tree, Pizzafari, and our new fav Harambe Market, makes even the hottest and coldest days pleasant.

Rides? I LOVE the rides! Personal best is 12 times on EE before 9:30 a.m. Love it at night, so beyond excited for the later hours that rivers of Light may bring. Dinosaur make me laugh every time, and ITTBAB is one of the best 3D shows any where. Kali and the safari are both amazing, and the detail in the queues of EE and Kali are worth visiting even if you don't ride.

Have never understood how anyone made this a half day park, with all there is currently and the upcoming additions, may have to go to AK for a week!! :)

RSoxNo1

First the immersive theming. If all I did was walk around, it would be a great day! The shows are all Broadway quality, and seeing them each trip is a must do!

Let's not forget the food!!! Y&Y, not only an outstanding TS, but rich in beauty and artifacts. Flame tree, Pizzafari, and our new fav Harambe Market, makes even the hottest and coldest days pleasant.

Rides? I LOVE the rides! Personal best is 12 times on EE before 9:30 a.m. Love it at night, so beyond excited for the later hours that rivers of Light may bring. Dinosaur make me laugh every time, and ITTBAB is one of the best 3D shows any where. Kali and the safari are both amazing, and the detail in the queues of EE and Kali are worth visiting even if you don't ride.

Have never understood how anyone made this a half day park, with all there is currently and the upcoming additions, may have to go to AK for a week!! :)
I forgot to mention Yak & Yeti. The Chicken Tikka Masala is one of my new favorite food options at Disney World.

NoChesterHester

So... This thread is amazingly devoid of any info. We knew all about Skippers Canteen right after construction began.

Theme? Cuisine (saw the "signature" label by a poster)? Design? Target open date?

doctornick

The shows are very good, and also a must do for me. But Broadway quality? You've clearly never seen a show on broadway. :)

Agreed. They are not Broadway quality -- but I think you could make a good case for the shows at DAK being the best on property and arguable as good as any theme park shows.

Personally, I also think ITTBAB is the best 4D show at WDW as well (opinions can understandably vary). Love seeing people react to the show as the effects surprise them.

Rescue Ranger

Animal Kindom is my favorite, I LOVE it. The feeling it get upon entering and even just relaxing by the Yak/Yeti fountain is the greatest!!! The lush nature is so immersive. I love entering the park and when all guests rush to attractions, I go straight to the trails and have them all to myself. So beautifully detailed. They did an incredible job. I still always notice new things.

Kman101

Animal Kingdom's my favorite too. Everyone else has said it all really, on why. I'm very happy to see the love it's been getting. I also prefer the new mature color scheme. Wish these people could re-paint Epcot's Future World. Yuck.

Anyway ... so what's the big secret on this restaurant? No one knows?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom