Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
20240506_161753.jpg
20240506_161759.jpg
20240506_161837.jpg

Well, this is gorgeous.

Splash4eva

I might look up what attractions are under refurbishment, but I wouldn't do extensive research, even if I wasn't a theme park nerd. I grew up going to Disneyland and vacations to WDW, so I wouldn't expect the experience to be so different where I would need to do work heading in.

I'm certain most casual tourists think that visiting WDW or DLR is like visiting any other theme park, just a little bigger. They have more parks to visit and on-site hotels, but I wouldn't think I would need to do much beyond just buy my travel package. Heck, I'd be confused by the need to have a park reservation since nobody else does that anymore.

It is like when I visit New York; I see what plays are running, where is the best deal for lodging, and that's about it. I don't need to worry about apps and travel guides and planning every second. I just go and see what interests me. Then I do it.
exactly you do a little research thats all that is needed as well to understand vq are a thing…. Anyone who still uses a ta the ta should inform you heck even when you book directly they give you a brief rundown…. So im sorry altho i agree a ton of homework should not be required for any trip but if you are going anywhere a bare minimum will literally tell you genie is a thing as are vqs & ill…

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Exactly. Look at Guardians - It was a VQ and ILL-only until it switche … oh wait, it’s still that way nearly 2 years after opening.
CR still needs VQ on weekends and especially busy times such as holidays. Both the morning and evening 'lotteries' are gone in seconds.

It's TRON that doesn't need the VQ anymore.

Professortango1

exactly you do a little research thats all that is needed as well to understand vq are a thing…. Anyone who still uses a ta the ta should inform you heck even when you book directly they give you a brief rundown…. So im sorry altho i agree a ton of homework should not be required for any trip but if you are going anywhere a bare minimum will literally tell you genie is a thing as are vqs & ill…
Not sure who uses Travel Agents anymore.

I know in Southern California we will have billboards advertising a new attraction and saying it's now open. So folks then buy a ticket and visit the park to be surprised that it may be open, but you have to pay additional money to ride or participate in roulette to win a spot. It's very confusing.

Fastpass got complaints for being confusing, and that's nothing compared to rides without standby options at all.

MerlinTheGoat

Mr. Sullivan

The need to research and over plan every aspect of visiting a Disney park is one of the things that most guests hate about the experience. And now adding the ability to ride some attractions at all to the things that must be planned and managed is a step in the wrong direction.
The thing is though, it has been that way for at least my entire lifetime and I'm 23 years old. Maybe it wasn't back in the 90s and before, but we've been going to the parks since I was two and every single time it's involved a heavy amount of planning to get through the week we spend there.

As much as people may not like it, it's not a secret that just showing up at Disney World and winging it just isn't going to work. It's on them if they don't research what they're paying for when Disney is providing quite a few resources (completely free of charge at that) to explain how it all works.

It would be one thing if Disney were doing these things and offering no explanation for what someone needs to do to use these systems they have in place, but they're not. I'll gladly help people I see in the parks if they're confused, but I'm sorry i simply cannot bring myself to feel bad for someone missing out on things because they couldn't be bothered to do some reading before they got there.

You should be doing that for every vacation, not just Disney. Showing up somewhere without having done an ounce of looking into the ways to best go about it is insane.

UNCgolf

CR still needs VQ on weekends and especially busy times such as holidays. Both the morning and evening 'lotteries' are gone in seconds.

It's TRON that doesn't need the VQ anymore.

I'm not sure that means CR still needs it, though. A lot of those people are just getting a spot because they can, but have been on it multiple times and wouldn't actually wait in a longer standby line to ride. I think at this point the VQ is really only serving to keep regular visitors riding at the expense of one-time (or at least irregular) visitors on the busiest days.

I don't see how they can keep it on VQ once Test Track goes down, but considering they should have taken it off VQ a long time ago I don't know that they will.

I agree that TRON needs it even less than CR, though.

Last edited:

Professortango1

The thing is though, it has been that way for at least my entire lifetime and I'm 23 years old. Maybe it wasn't back in the 90s and before, but we've been going to the parks since I was two and every single time it's involved a heavy amount of planning to get through the week we spend there.

As much as people may not like it, it's not a secret that just showing up at Disney World and winging it just isn't going to work. It's on them if they don't research what they're paying for when Disney is providing quite a few resources (completely free of charge at that) to explain how it all works.

It would be one thing if Disney were doing these things and offering no explanation for what someone needs to do to use these systems they have in place, but they're not. I'll gladly help people I see in the parks if they're confused, but I'm sorry i simply cannot bring myself to feel bad for someone missing out on things because they couldn't be bothered to do some reading before they got there.

You should be doing that for every vacation, not just Disney. Showing up somewhere without having done an ounce of looking into the ways to best go about it is insane.
I have never done prep work to visit the parks. I usually just go when I want to.

Now with the reservations, that impulse has been squashed by availability on occasion, but I have never had to prep to go to a theme park. I see the commercial for Jurassic World ride, I simply go to Universal and go to the ride and ride it.

To expect someone to do research for visiting a theme park is a little much. And a ride being advertised as open is all I need to expect to be able to ride it.

pigglewiggle

I have never done prep work to visit the parks. I usually just go when I want to.

Now with the reservations, that impulse has been squashed by availability on occasion, but I have never had to prep to go to a theme park. I see the commercial for Jurassic World ride, I simply go to Universal and go to the ride and ride it.

To expect someone to do research for visiting a theme park is a little much. And a ride being advertised as open is all I need to expect to be able to ride it.

Just FYI because you mentioned a couple times - there are no park reservations anymore, unless you are a passholder I think.

Jambo Dad

I just want to see Bobs ego walking around on its own. Like that Star Trek episode where Kirk is split into ‘good Kirk’ and ‘bad Kirk’. Except there is no ‘good Bob’.

Consumer

View attachment 783600View attachment 783602

I'm waiting for ride testing — will keep you guys updated.
I'm sure it's been discussed but I really hate how generic the logs are. I understand they couldn't have kept Br'er Rabbit on the front, but why not add a frog on each log? Or a different character on every log? Leaving them plain makes the ride vehicles feel boring and unrelated to the attraction.
1715033433356.png

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I am a 27 year old who chooses to have a dumbphone. I basically couldn't visit the park on my own if I wanted to.
I mean... a cheap prepaid smartphone costs like 30 bucks. 50 with a month of service (almost certain that number could be brought down if you shop around). Not saying that's nothing, but that's cheap compared to any other expense involved with a Disney trip

Also, nearly everything you need an app for they can do for you at guest realtions or any guest experience stand. With virtual queues being the only possible exception I can think of.

Also also, other than Genie+ (which again they can help you do in person) and Virtual queues nothing else requires the app. You can have a full day and experience everything the park has to offer aside from some flash games in the PlayDisney app without touching an app or a phone.

Not saying there aren't valid complaints about everything being run through the app. But saying you can't visit because you choose not to have a modern cell phone isn't one of them

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom