News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sometimes Disney chooses opening dates based on marketing, thus, sometimes delaying the opening.

From what some insiders have been saying, it seems that Disney simply wants it open as soon as possible (with still the likely previews for CMs, DVCers, APers, etc...).

So, it will open when ready... most likely... without regard for marketing, seasons, or cross promotions.

Brer Oswald

Sometimes Disney chooses opening dates based on marketing, thus, sometimes delaying the opening.

From what some insiders have been saying, it seems that Disney simply wants it open as soon as possible (with still the likely previews for CMs, DVCers, APers, etc...).

So, it will open when ready... most likely... without regard for marketing, seasons, or cross promotions.
Yep. It’s important to remember that, no matter how different the dark ride experience may be, the ride is still filling the same functional role as Splash did. It’s the main water ride at their flagship park in central Florida. I doubt they want it closed for two summers in a row. It will be open as soon as it’s ready to (unlike say, Rat, which opened about a year and a half after it was done).

_caleb

Some of the weirdest marketing I’ve ever seen for any ride. Nobody cares. Yay we have artists from New Orleans painting murals that look out of place and authentic weathervanes and drum set replicas lol. But not the best song or the bad guy from the movie. What a joke.
I do not understand how you could possibly think you’d be a better judge of what fits and what’s out of place on this yet-unfinished attraction than the imagineers and Louisiana-based artists who are building it.

mickEblu

I do not understand how you could possibly think you’d be a better judge of what fits and what’s out of place on this yet-unfinished attraction than the imagineers and Louisiana-based artists who are building it.

It doesn’t take a genius to realize that if the recipe calls for salt and you forget to put it in that the dish will come out bland. Or that purposely leaving out the best parts of the movie and elements that your fans are expecting/wanting on the ride is a bad idea. You also don’t need to be a genius to understand what’s driving this project. You bring up the imagineers but they re only second in command here.

The artists are contract for hire working on one thing. The weathervane guy is hired to make the weathervane. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I’m not commenting on the quality of their work. I’m commenting on how weird the marketing for this ride is and that Disney is focused on the wrong things.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

It doesn’t take a genius to realize that if the recipe calls for salt and you forget to put it in that the dish will come out bland. Or that purposely leaving out the best parts of the movie and elements that your fans are expecting/wanting on the ride is a bad idea. You also don’t need to be a genius to understand what’s driving this project. You bring up the imagineers but they re only second in command here.

The artists are contract for hire working on one thing. The weathervane guy is hired to make the weathervane. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I’m not commenting on the quality of their work. I’m commenting on how weird the marketing for this ride is and that Disney is focused on the wrong things.
The marketing is focusing exactly on the things the creatives are focusing on. I take all their words at face value. They feel they are building an exciting attraction and audiences will share in their enthusiasm. We’ll see!

mickEblu

The marketing is focusing exactly on the things the creatives are focusing on. I take all their words at face value. They feel they are building an exciting attraction and audiences will share in their enthusiasm. We’ll see!

At the end of the day it will still be a log flume in Disneyland/ MK with a great layout with 3 fun drops and music. There is no way it can fail. But that doesn’t mean it’s not frustrating to not see it live up to its potential.

As much as certain things don’t make sense about this ride (like the facade for example) the odds are that TBA will be more fun than a purpose built PatF attraction. Riding around another warehouse in trackless vehicles shaped like boats doesn’t sound very fun to me. They get a nice jump start by building off of Baxter and teams work.

Last edited:

Nland316

Some of the weirdest marketing I’ve ever seen for any ride. Nobody cares. Yay we have artists from New Orleans painting murals that look out of place and authentic weathervanes and drum set replicas lol. But not the best song or the bad guy from the movie. What a joke.
I don’t mind teasers and insight like this, but it should definitely be more balanced with teasers of actual substance..

EPCOT-O.G.

At the end of the day it will still be a log flume in Disneyland/ MK with a great layout with 3 fun drops and music. There is no way it can fail. But that doesn’t mean it’s not frustrating to not see it live up to its potential.

As much as certain things don’t make sense about this ride (like the facade for example) the odds are that TBA will be more fun than a purpose built PatF attraction. Riding around another warehouse in trackless vehicles shaped like boats doesn’t sound very fun to me. They get a nice jump start by building off of Baxter and teams work.
Oh I agree with you. I honestly think the creatives on this believe their idea is more enticing to general audiences than including the songs and characters in the film. I do think it will be difficult to quantify whether this is a better or worse attraction ultimately

mickEblu

Oh I agree with you. I honestly think the creatives on this believe their idea is more enticing to general audiences than including the songs and characters in the film. I do think it will be difficult to quantify whether this is a better or worse attraction ultimately

Oh yea I don’t doubt some of the Imagineers believe that. I also believe that some probably aren’t too happy with the direction it went in. Regardless, we know that this retheme is a special case and has objectives and constraints that are unique/ atypical.

MerlinTheGoat

The mural on the barn at the very least is complete as far as I'm aware. And it does indeed look out of place. It's an absurd argument that only artists or imagineers have the authority to decide what looks correct and that no other opinions are valid. Especially when considering the people that currently work at WDI.

Most of the imagineers working at Disney right now are new hires with very little creative experience. There were mass layoffs from WDI during Covid (something that has been ongoing for many years prior). Not to mention a great many voluntary departures due to unhappiness with the executives. And unlike a lot of prior generations, much of the new crop weren't trained by their predecessors to ensure that the lineage of classic Disney artistry and creativity is passed down.

This is especially true of the two heads on this project, one of whom is an accountant and the other of whom is a diversity editor. Thankfully these two are mostly just marketing figureheads, with the creative process being handed over to people who allegedly do have some talent. But it still says a lot about the current creative situation at Disney that they're appointing people with absolutely no creative or artistic talent in leadership roles at WDI.

I will also be a bit charitable to the person who designed that barn mural- Looking through her other work on her website, Malaika Favorite's style is much better in her own non-Disney work. The piece used on the barn however is awkward in a number of different ways. The design of Louis is one of the bigger problems, as it's clearly very different from what she normally does and clashes with her style (especially the eyes). Not to mention the mural just being painted on the side of a barn like that doesn't look right.

I found this to also be the case for Sharika Mahdi's art as well. The pieces of "concept art" she drew for the attraction mostly look quite awkward and messy. While her own non-Disney work is much better. In fact, several of the pieces i've seen from her are quite lovely IMO. There's just something about these Disney characters that I think look very "off" when presented and mixed into such a dramatically different art style. Even environment designs as well. Incidentally, the one piece that Mahdi created for the ride with the frog band that didn't include PATF character was also much better IMO. Because again she was creating more of her own work in mostly her own style rather than trying to adhere to something Disney asked her to do (basically forcing a square peg through a round hole).

FettFan

Nobody paying for a park ticket gives two ****s about a weathervane.

Especially when there’s nothing particularly special about said weathervane that would instantly be recognizable to guests.

It ain’t exactly Haunted Mansion or Peter Pan’s Flight.

d48e6468-211b-446f-a27f-6716d06e35f1.jpg

Magic-Kingdom-Weather-Vanes_August-20199-e1566496231387.jpg

(ps - I’d wager that most of y’all probably didn’t know that the PPF vane even existed)

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
Interesting teaser at the end. I wonder if they believe it’ll open sooner than expected.
I don't think it's a coincidence they've dropped the "late 2024" from every piece of promo for it, on top of the other info shared by others in this thread saying it could open sooner. Everything is pointing towards WDW's opening being sooner than originally expected.

Before:
Screenshot_20240106_154453_YouTube.jpg

After:
Screenshot_20240106_154139_YouTube.jpg

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't think it's a coincidence they've dropped the "late 2024" from every piece of promo for it, on top of the other info shared by others in this thread saying it could open sooner. Everything is pointing towards WDW's opening being sooner than originally expected.

Before:
View attachment 761902

After:
View attachment 761904
Hopefully it’s opening early but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they are just trying to get more people to book a summer/fall trip rather than waiting for winter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom