News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

BrianLo

Modern WDI literally removed the tension from Disneyland's Snow White ride.

They did, but I kind of like it better now.

The most extreme example of this would be Sindbads conversion at TDS. They removed all tension and added a sugary Alan Menkin tune, but it’s actually kind of great.

I agree that tone matters a lot, but sometimes two tones can work (controversially, I think both Tower of Terror and Mission Breakout work, sans exterior).

Professortango1

I think it’s more realistic than Splash Mountain ever was given it’s supposed setting.
Splash looked like it was supposed to though. It looked like the red clay hills depicted in the artwork for the story it was based upon.

TBA doesn't look like a bayou. It also doesn't look like anything in PatF. It just looks like they fired the groundskeeper for Splash Mountain and so the weeds grew in.

James Alucobond

Splash looked like it was supposed to though. It looked like the red clay hills depicted in the artwork for the story it was based upon.

TBA doesn't look like a bayou. It also doesn't look like anything in PatF. It just looks like they fired the groundskeeper for Splash Mountain and so the weeds grew in.
The upper portion is supposed to be reminiscent of the flowers from this scene:
1703387860270.jpeg

The area at the base, assuming the model is accurate, is intended to bring in a bit more of the bayou feeling, with cattails, trees covered in Spanish moss, logs, lilies, etc.

Professortango1

The upper portion is supposed to be reminiscent of the flowers from this scene:
View attachment 760132
The area at the base, assuming the model is accurate, is intended to bring in a bit more of the bayou feeling, with cattails, trees covered in Spanish moss, logs, lilies, etc.
But the top doesn't look like that. That looks like the green banks of the bayou with shrubs and trees in a lush flat landscape. The TBA mountain looks like a mountain covered with ivy.

James Alucobond

I mean, it has been mentioned to death that the salt dome is a stretch, but it's clear that the aim is to style it as a dome crested with the yellow, pink, and white flowers from the idealized bayou shown in the film's finale. You said that Splash followed the aesthetics of its source film, and I'm saying Bayou Adventure also follows the aesthetics of its source film. It's blending in some of the more lush, fantastical elements of the film's bayou that you wouldn't normally see in a prototypical photo of the biome.

mickEblu

Im a sucker for green, trees and lush aesthetics so I like how the exterior is looking minus the tiara water tower and yellow barn. Still wish they built Endor at DL. with an Ewok speed bike coaster that could have been Disneys version of Hagrids.

It goes without saying that the Splash Mountain facade was much more striking and better designed. However, as a Disneyland guy, the red clay look of MK’s Splash always kind of turned me off. At one point during construction of the new ROA at Disneyland they painted the waterfall rocks a similar red color and I was so glad when they repainted them to their current more natural looking color. Obviously Frog Mountain doesn’t fit as well in Frontierland. Aesthetically more then thematically. At Disneyland I think it’ll look better next to HM than Splash did but that’s such a small win in the grand scheme of this retheme and it was never a big deal. I’ll miss this view from TSI and the secret path.

91FBDEBE-FDA7-452F-A2F7-13E80CBDEF8E.jpeg

This view in particular will be much less appealing.

2BBE7C14-87E7-4740-86FE-68D45546658C.jpeg

F2E4937F-7359-47CF-9EC7-CF3F482AFAEB.jpeg

E9ECFC0E-4D71-4434-BDA2-9B972BE2C30D.jpeg

B7A731A9-D4F6-483F-A7AA-55787AFCA117.jpeg

Also just because here’s a picture of the Matterhorn I took this year.

2D34834A-9343-410C-9BC9-EF5AFD775CC5.jpeg

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

To a certain extent, it will always look like Splash Mountain, no matter how much they try to sand off the edges, paint it another colour or cover it with decoration. It's still the same overall structure and flume, with the drop in the middle.

Such is the problem inherit with redressing an existing ride instead of starting from scratch, either in a different location or tearing the whole thing down (which was never going to happen).

Professortango1

Such is the problem inherit with redressing an existing ride instead of starting from scratch, either in a different location or tearing the whole thing down (which was never going to happen).
I mean, world of motion was torn down to create Fast Track. Horizons was destroyed to make Mission Space. Country Bear Jamboree looks nothing like Pooh, other than the covered bridge in the queue. Big Thunder wasn't fitted onto the bones of Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland.

Disney does have a capability and history to build a new attraction from the ground up or significantly change the facade. It's just the recent Disney is extremely cheap and lazy.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No

EricsBiscuit

First, scaffolding looks to be coming down on the left of the flume. Secondly, regarding the mural, could you tell if it looked purposeful (aging, making it not look brand new) or on accident?
My opinion is that it is not intentional because if it was intentional the weathering would be consistent throughout the whole piece, not just the top.

James Alucobond

I mean, world of motion was torn down to create Fast Track. Horizons was destroyed to make Mission Space. Country Bear Jamboree looks nothing like Pooh, other than the covered bridge in the queue. Big Thunder wasn't fitted onto the bones of Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland.

Disney does have a capability and history to build a new attraction from the ground up or significantly change the facade. It's just the recent Disney is extremely cheap and lazy.
It could be cheapness or laziness, I suppose. It could also be because this redesign was undertaken in response to a fundamentally unique problem. The ride system was not seen as outdated or boring; it remained much beloved. Rather, the change revolves around Disney’s desire to distance themselves from the IP the ride was originally based on. From that perspective, I’m not sure this approach is all that surprising. It’s a matter of keeping what they know works well.

EPCOT-O.G.

And Mission Breakout looks substantially different than what came before, and no one will ever confuse Cosmic Rewind for Universe of Energy.

Professortango1

And Mission Breakout looks substantially different than what came before, and no one will ever confuse Cosmic Rewind for Universe of Energy.

Lol. Very true. Cosmic has the exact same facade and the ride is just as "inspired."

Mission BO's even painted a section black and just covered it with mesh, so you can still see the curved arches and stairs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom