Those that love POFQ and PORS-would you switch?

Daxiegirl

Original Poster
Soooo I know this is a loaded question but would you switch from FQ to RS just to take advantage of free dining? (Yes, we are doing the dining plan and won't be changing that.). Just would like to be prepared for what may happen in the next few days. Assuming, of course, that free dining will be offered at all mid-September.

If you would switch-which building would you choose?

I had my heart set on FQ because of its quiet nature and ambiance since my parents are traveling with us. Also because I'm sure they'd love it since we went on a trip to Baton Rouge and Louisiana when I was 6. It was amazing! (Or so the pictures tell me :))

Another reason we chose FQ is because my parents will be needing scooters and I've heard that it can be easier to get on the buses from FQ and that they can't be guaranteed a ground floor room at RS. (How awful would it be to have to lug scooters the second floor each night?:arghh:)

Your thoughts and ideas are most appreciated! I'm sure there are variables I haven't even considered.

Sassagoula-Rvr

POFQ is a GREAT resort...it's small...cozy...and not hard to navigate...there is only one bus stop...opposed to around 4-5 for POR.

That's all I'm going to say...I can't give you a one size fits all answer.

But I will vouch for POFQ!! Have fun though! Family trips can be the best!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
For free dining? Yes -- youll be saving some big bucks! I would tell you if you make a room request for lower level because of your folks scooter situation youre almost guaranteed to get it.

Look at the resort map and get a bldg next to the main building if you can - we had bldg 18 but i believe thats a preffered spot now, but with the money you save on dining you could get a preffered room with change to spare.

Edit - you cant miss with either resort.

LucyK

I've decided I won't change resorts if POFQ is excluded. The size of the resort is the main appeal to my family. My mom refuses a EVC so being close to the bus stop and the lobby is pretty important to me and the only resort that offers that is POFQ.

If it was me alone I'd make the switch but upgrade to a preferred room.

Daxiegirl

Original Poster
All three of you have made great arguments! This is why I'm so much of two minds about the whole thing.

The practical mind: save the bucks and stay at RS and you'll still have a great time. It is, after all, WDW!

The romantic mind: stick with FQ for this once in a lifetime trip (we've never been to WDW and my parents will never return) no matter the cost. We were ok with the price as it was without any discounts so the temptation is great to just stay where we are.

Argh :banghead:

RobnRachal

We actually prefer Riverside. We stayed at French Quarter for the first time our last trip and other than the advantage of a shorter walk, we much preferred our stay at Riverside. A smaller resort equates to smaller pool area, smaller store, smaller dining area. So to answer your question.....I'd recommend the switch ;)

Rld

I haven't stayed at FQ yet.. but Riverside wasn't for me. If I was to go back to PO it would have to be FQ.

If it was for a quiet trip with my parents maybe Riverside.. but still.. FQ seems like the better option in my opinion. For the same price I would stay at Coronado or a pirate room at Caribbean Beach.

daisyduckie

I've decided I won't change resorts if POFQ is excluded. The size of the resort is the main appeal to my family. My mom refuses a EVC so being close to the bus stop and the lobby is pretty important to me and the only resort that offers that is POFQ.

If it was me alone I'd make the switch but upgrade to a preferred room.

Just to warn you, if you get one of the buildings on the far end, it can still be a bit of a walk to the bus stop and lobby. I was in building 7 one trip, and it still was a ways to the front.

I do think you would be better off at POR with a preferred room. That way, you know for sure you will be in a building that is close to the front.

Tinkerbella16

I would switch because I love both resorts equally! We had a close room at POR in November since we were in the Royal Rooms, so walking was quick for us. If you can get something close, I'd switch for FD in a heartbeat. POFQ always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to discounts, especially room discounts, so it may be worth switching.

Daxiegirl

Original Poster
Crossing my fingers X1000 that I won't have to make the decision :confused:
There are so many great opinions either way!:)
Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Daxiegirl

Original Poster
Considering the rumours looks like we will be out of luck for free dining. That's ok. I've fallen in love so we will just eat less and make the whole DDP option moot.
Thanks to all who have posted in all forums about how much they have loved FQ!

BigTxEars

I would switch from FQ to RS for free dining. I really like FQ but not to the tune of losing a huge perk like free DDP if everything is equal. RS is a darn nice resort :)

Daxiegirl

Original Poster
I mean for Port Orleans at all. Rumour has it both will be excluded. I suppose we may find out tomorrow :(

BigTxEars

I mean for Port Orleans at all. Rumour has it both will be excluded. I suppose we may find out tomorrow :(

Oh I see, sorry. The I would say we love POR but I would try one of the other moderate resorts if I had not stayed there before. That way you get to experience a new resort and get free DDP. In the end it would be hard for me to walk away from a free DDP.

epcot2004

We have stayed in both and would switch between either of them for the free dining. I don't have a building suggestion as we are pretty much OK in Alligator Bayou or FQ as long as our room is not overlooking a parking lot. Our preference between the two is Riverside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom