Those that love POFQ and PORS-would you switch?

Daxiegirl

Original Poster
Maybe we will switch to RS to take advantage of any room discounts that come up since the DDP is now out for us. I'm ok with that. It will leave us with some flexibility if I cancel a couple of ADR's and our kids barely eat anything anyway. Also, we never drink soda and I could stand to not eat dessert at every meal :joyfull:
I don't think I'll starve since I've heard how large portions can be...

Tuvalu

Maybe we will switch to RS to take advantage of any room discounts that come up since the DDP is now out for us. I'm ok with that. It will leave us with some flexibility if I cancel a couple of ADR's and our kids barely eat anything anyway. Also, we never drink soda and I could stand to not eat dessert at every meal :joyfull:
I don't think I'll starve since I've heard how large portions can be...
FQ may have a room discount as well. We got a higher discount for FQ last month (our April vacation) than was offered at POR. You never know.

lebeau

Soooo I know this is a loaded question but would you switch from FQ to RS just to take advantage of free dining? (Yes, we are doing the dining plan and won't be changing that.). Just would like to be prepared for what may happen in the next few days. Assuming, of course, that free dining will be offered at all mid-September.

If you would switch-which building would you choose?

I had my heart set on FQ because of its quiet nature and ambiance since my parents are traveling with us. Also because I'm sure they'd love it since we went on a trip to Baton Rouge and Louisiana when I was 6. It was amazing! (Or so the pictures tell me :))

Another reason we chose FQ is because my parents will be needing scooters and I've heard that it can be easier to get on the buses from FQ and that they can't be guaranteed a ground floor room at RS. (How awful would it be to have to lug scooters the second floor each night?:arghh:)

Your thoughts and ideas are most appreciated! I'm sure there are variables I haven't even considered.

Would I? Yes. I have done so in the past. But you have to ask yourself how much it's worth. First, do the math. Figure out how much you would save with "free dining". (Psst, it's not really free.) Then ask yourself if it's worth it given your situation. From the sound of things, it would have to be a pretty high dollar amount to justify changing.

tem325

Yes, I switched from POR to SBR to get teh Free Dining. We're only spending 4 full days there and plan to pack it in (the parks close early in late September, and there won't be too much late afternoon nap/down time at the hotel and then back out in the late evening to the parks) so I don't mind moving to another resort I don't like as much as the POR. The switch saved us $620! And, it enabled me to buy the MNSSHP tickets and the Memory Maker for less than my original trip cost.

LucyK

Didn't switch and don't plan on doing. We'll wait for the RO discount and if that doesn't happen we'll be fine either way. Love FQ, it's my favorite resort.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We changed our mind set last month. We took a pretty spontaneous trip and we were going to stay at POR and then the CM discount was only for FQ so off to FQ it was.

Rld

I never saw an elevator at POR.. maybe I just didn't explore my building enough eh..

I am headed back next weekend and staying at Saratoga Springs.. got a nice rate on a 2 bedroom villa. I would switch for the free dining plan for sure.. no matter which resort I was at. I haven't been able to find a free dining plan option though.

PeoplemoverTTA

POFQ is my family's favorite overall resort - we absolutely love it! But last year when my (now) fiancé and I went to celebrate our first anniversary, I could only get a passholder rate at Riverside. I was really surprised how much we loved it. I stayed with someone using an ECV (my grandma) at POFQ twice, and she had a very easy time getting around. Neither my fiancé nor I use an ECV, so I can't speak to POR for that, sorry.

It's so convenient that POFQ has one bus stop - that is a major plus for me. But I was pleasantly surprised how well the buses ran at POR (this was May 31 - June 3, 2013). The resort is super quiet - more quiet than POFQ. This was a romantic trip, so that was a nice touch.

I also prefer the POFQ food court, but we didn't have any complaints about POR, just personal preference I guess.

Both have the charm of Port Orleans, but are definitely different. If it were me, I would switch for free dining, but if you're really concerned about travel issues with the room and ECVs, and you can swing dining budget-wise, stick with POFQ. You'll feel better peace of mind.

Good luck, whichever you choose!

LucyK

I got a pin for POFQ today! So I now have Free Dinning at POFQ, which made my day!

I hope you guys get lucky as I did.

Daxiegirl

Original Poster
I got a pin for POFQ today! So I now have Free Dinning at POFQ, which made my day!

I hope you guys get lucky as I did.

I am unbelievably jealous!!:D
This trip planning is going to give me a stroke. I guess I should have just stuck it out and kept our reservation @ FQ. Maybe then I would have gotten one too.

DizneyPryncess

I'd stay with FQ, we love it there. Having stayed at both, we preferred FQ over Riverside due to it's smaller size & less people. I like trying new resorts though. If free dining was out there, and wasn't offered at FQ, I'd probably bail on PO completely and pick a new resort.

Dog Ate Mouse

Honestly this comes down in my eyes to what you love the best. We love staying at PORS and just love everything about it. Now if I was going to change resorts then it would be for The Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom. Free Dining does not become a factor for the two of us. It really comes down to our budget meaning we have a little extra then it's the Wilderness lodge and if not then It's our favorite of the Mods PORS. Honestly the bottom line is that I am in WDW and staying at a Mod to higher end resort. That and that alone is what makes me smile and be happy.

Daxiegirl

Original Poster
I'd stay with FQ, we love it there. Having stayed at both, we preferred FQ over Riverside due to it's smaller size & less people. I like trying new resorts though. If free dining was out there, and wasn't offered at FQ, I'd probably bail on PO completely and pick a new resort.

Oh boy. I got more stress than I bargained for when we decided to jump ship. I finally discovered the reason why it was good that I used a TA to book the trip. (I had been wondering why I had done that since I was the one who did all the ADRs and would be doing all the FP+'s.)

So the day it all went live for the public we were all poised to book WL but by the time she got through ALL the rooms were gone (except the highest level) so after a few emails back and forth we ended up at AKL.
It all seems so simple now but that day was a crazy roller coaster ride for me :confused:

Concerned about the trip time from AKL to MK but it is what it is and we will deal and hopefully have a great time participating in a few of the extracurriculars available at the resort!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom