Those of you from Alabama...

duck_daddy

I live in North Alabama, Guntersville to be exact. It's a little over an hour North of Birmingham. I have never been the sole planner of a Disney trip(usually parents and what not carrying the family). What have ya'll found to be the best route of travel? My grandparents famous route carries us in to Georgia, and through Atlanta, in order to make a straight shot down. Does anyone else have an alternate travel route?:shrug:

Vernonpush

As Annual Passholders we usually go a couple of times per year. We usually go the 280 route, through Columbus GA, then connect to I75 at Tifton GA. Don't forget the new exit (429) off the Florida Turnpike. It saves alot of time (and the headaches of I4). It usually takes about 9 hours of driving time, total, from B'ham. Have fun!

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
As we are about an hour away from Birmingham, it would put us at about 10 hours going the Montgomery route. So really not that much of a difference as going the Gadsden/Atlanta route? Eh.........half a dozen in one ......six in the other. As long as I get there before the kids wake up I'm good!:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

pinkrose

As we are about an hour away from Birmingham, it would put us at about 10 hours going the Montgomery route. So really not that much of a difference as going the Gadsden/Atlanta route? Eh.........half a dozen in one ......six in the other. As long as I get there before the kids wake up I'm good!:ROFLOL:

Try windows live. You can get the quickest route (or shortest) from your house. For us, the quickest is Dothan, but for you, it may be Ga. www.windowslive.com Click on "maps"

Upvote 0

3fordisney

We are from Prattville and go 231 from Montgomery thru Dothan to I-10 then I-75 to the turnpike. We've checked MapQuest which will often give us a route from Dothan into Ga then to I-10. Never been that way, but the worse stretch for me is I-10. There isn't much to look at.

We usually take the turnpike to US 27 then 192 to World Drive. Does anyone have a better way to WDW from I-75? We don't mind the toll roads and will avoid I-4 at all cost.

We will be there April 15-21st! It couldn't get here fast enough!! Guntersville is a nice place. We are wanting to come up and visit Lake Guntersville.

Hope you have a safe and happy trip!!

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
Both Mapquest and Window live give about the same results. Mapqeust's time of travel is about 30 min or so longer than windows live, however, windows live seems a wee bit more compllicated! So who knows:shrug: ! At any rate, they both carry me towards Atlanta! So.......... GA here we come!:cool:

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
We are from Prattville and go 231 from Montgomery thru Dothan to I-10 then I-75 to the turnpike. We've checked MapQuest which will often give us a route from Dothan into Ga then to I-10. Never been that way, but the worse stretch for me is I-10. There isn't much to look at.

We usually take the turnpike to US 27 then 192 to World Drive. Does anyone have a better way to WDW from I-75? We don't mind the toll roads and will avoid I-4 at all cost.

We will be there April 15-21st! It couldn't get here fast enough!! Guntersville is a nice place. We are wanting to come up and visit Lake Guntersville.

Hope you have a safe and happy trip!!
Sounds like you'll just miss us. We will be arriving sometime early April 21st! You enjoy your trip as well!:wave:

Upvote 0

maharet97a

Just a heads up, there is construction on I-75 from Adel, GA down to Valdosta at least. It remains two laned going south(at least as far as I went. I got on at Adel and got off before the Valdosta exits because it was so bad), but the lanes are in terrible condition and very very narrow. They are widening 75 to three lanes through there, so it's a long term project. And like I said, I'm really not sure how long the construction acutally lasts as I only did that small stretch. Someone else or the DOT should know more. Be prepared to go well below the speed limit and have possible lane closures. As for I-10, the only construction is around Tallahassee and every time I've been through it's been moving well, with no delays.

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
As Annual Passholders we usually go a couple of times per year. We usually go the 280 route, through Columbus GA, then connect to I75 at Tifton GA. Don't forget the new exit (429) off the Florida Turnpike. It saves alot of time (and the headaches of I4). It usually takes about 9 hours of driving time, total, from B'ham. Have fun!
This new exit you speak of.......is it a gift from the gods? However, niether Mapquest nor windowa live mention it. Exit 429 say you?:veryconfu

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
Just a heads up, there is construction on I-75 from Adel, GA down to Valdosta at least. It remains two laned going south(at least as far as I went. I got on at Adel and got off before the Valdosta exits because it was so bad), but the lanes are in terrible condition and very very narrow. They are widening 75 to three lanes through there, so it's a long term project. And like I said, I'm really not sure how long the construction acutally lasts as I only did that small stretch. Someone else or the DOT should know more. Be prepared to go well below the speed limit and have possible lane closures. As for I-10, the only construction is around Tallahassee and every time I've been through it's been moving well, with no delays.
Thanks for the heads up! Any other routes you would suggest?:shrug:

Upvote 0

Firewolfe51

hey dude wheel on down to gadsden and hit 431 to I 20 we have been everway possible and the ATL route is always the best ...... we Live in gadsden .......if we lived any further south I would go with the 280 route through PHX city .....my favorite is straight down i-59 to the bham airport for a 1 hour flight to MCO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW we leave in the morning for a week

The wolfe's

PO FQ

Upvote 0

maharet97a

Even with the contstruction, I'd probably take the 75 route. The Dothan route says it's only about 40 miles out of the way, but takes you a pretty good distance on I-10. You'd avoid construction, but I don't know what the Alabama roads are like and there are hardly any places (foodwise) to stop on 10. Plus as a previous poster said, there's nothing to look at. The construction is probably only 25-30 miles at most and while aggrevating, you can probably still make better time going that way. I would also recommend not taking I-285 when you get to Atlanta, but instead go straight through downtown to 75. The traffic on 285 (especially during the week) is awful at best.

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
hey dude wheel on down to gadsden and hit 431 to I 20 we have been everway possible and the ATL route is always the best ...... we Live in gadsden .......if we lived any further south I would go with the 280 route through PHX city .....my favorite is straight down i-59 to the bham airport for a 1 hour flight to MCO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW we leave in the morning for a week

The wolfe's

PO FQ
Thanks! That is our usual route! Didn't know if anyone had any better ideas. Well if its the same old way.............. at least I know it! Have fun on your week away from it all!:wave:

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
Even with the contstruction, I'd probably take the 75 route. The Dothan route says it's only about 40 miles out of the way, but takes you a pretty good distance on I-10. You'd avoid construction, but I don't know what the Alabama roads are like and there are hardly any places (foodwise) to stop on 10. Plus as a previous poster said, there's nothing to look at. The construction is probably only 25-30 miles at most and while aggrevating, you can probably still make better time going that way. I would also recommend not taking I-285 when you get to Atlanta, but instead go straight through downtown to 75. The traffic on 285 (especially during the week) is awful at best.
Yeah I'll probably be like the rest of society and take the road well travelled! I would hate to be lost in South Alabama without a clue as to where I was going. I'd probably have to pitch a tent in Gulf Shores!:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

maharet97a

That's sometimes best...well quicker anyway. We live in the Florida panhandle and we found it's worth our time to go out of our way a little bit sometimes. We went up to visit friends north of Atlanta last month and took the route rocommended to us by Yahoo and Google maps and ended up on what turned out to be a whole lot of two laned back roads in south Alabama almost all the way to Montgomery. Thank goodness they were in good condition and easy to find, but The inability to pass, having to slow down at every small town, and the lower speed limits in general were a big pain.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom