Those of you from Alabama...

duck_daddy

I live in North Alabama, Guntersville to be exact. It's a little over an hour North of Birmingham. I have never been the sole planner of a Disney trip(usually parents and what not carrying the family). What have ya'll found to be the best route of travel? My grandparents famous route carries us in to Georgia, and through Atlanta, in order to make a straight shot down. Does anyone else have an alternate travel route?:shrug:

sbkline

I don't live in Alabama, but from looking at the atlas, I wonder if the best route would be to follow highway 431 all the way down to I-10 and then take that on into Florida and catch I-75 down to the turnpike, and then get on I-4 for the final stretch.

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

When we lived there, we would generally take I-65 from Huntsville down to Montgomery to 231 to I-10 and so on. You might be better off getting down to Anniston on 431 and shooting over to ATL via I-20 and taking I-75 down. From Huntsville, we were looking at about a 10 hour trip.

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

I'm in Auburn, so this may not be the best route for you. We go 280 through Columbus then back roads to Tifton where we get on I-75. Pinkrose or Spongescott may have better routes for you. Have you tried mapquest? Good luck! Oh BTW, we have a lot of friends from Guntersville, it's nice up that way.

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
When we lived there, we would generally take I-65 from Huntsville down to Montgomery to 231 to I-10 and so on. You might be better off getting down to Anniston on 431 and shooting over to ATL via I-20 and taking I-75 down. From Huntsville, we were looking at about a 10 hour trip.
We generally hit the Gadsden/Anniston way. It works very well! I just thought since we are travelling overnight and the kids will be asleep, I was thinking I may change things up a little bit. However, I don't want to get completely turned around and be driving into the abyss.

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
I'm in Auburn, so this may not be the best route for you. We go 280 through Columbus then back roads to Tifton where we get on I-75. Pinkrose or Spongescott may have better routes for you. Have you tried mapquest? Good luck! Oh BTW, we have a lot of friends from Guntersville, it's nice up that way.
Thank you! Nice down that way as well! My brother almost went to play college baseball down that way!:wave:

Upvote 0
last year we lived in Birmingham and drove and we did the trip up to Georgia and then down to Florida and we made it just short of 9 hours. We were very hesitant at first as it seemed to make no sense to us to go up to Georgia and then down, but hubby's Father drives an 18 wheeler and he said it was the best way for us...and it worked ;-)

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

We generally hit the Gadsden/Anniston way. It works very well! I just thought since we are travelling overnight and the kids will be asleep, I was thinking I may change things up a little bit. However, I don't want to get completely turned around and be driving into the abyss.
If I was traveling at night, I would definitely go through ATL at that time. On I-75, you'll have about anything at your disposal--I would stay away from 231 if you're going at night. You ought to make great time. When are you going?

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

Original Poster
If I was traveling at night, I would definitely go through ATL at that time. On I-75, you'll have about anything at your disposal--I would stay away from 231 if you're going at night. You ought to make great time. When are you going?
We will be leaving the night of April 20th! Yeah 431 is not my favorite stretch of highway, but then again 431 isn't either!:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
... I-10 and then take that on into Florida and catch I-75 down to the turnpike, and then get on I-4 for the final stretch.

I don't live in Alabama, but I do go to Orlando, WDW using pretty much the same route.

We get on I-10 at defuniak Springs, FL. From there, it is 5 hours 40 minutes to a 6 hour drive to WDW Gate.

Upvote 0

pinkrose

How did I miss this thread? lol I live in the B'ham area (Helena) and we drive at night also! We go down through Dothan though. I-65 then HWY 231 at Montgomary. From there we get on I-10, then I-75 on down to WDW. it takes us about 9 hours.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom