Those dang kids with those Heelez!!!

CatLady

I know some parents think that their kids are doing nothing wrong wearing (and using) Heelys. "But my kid has NEVER run into ANYTHING. He's really good with them!") For people whose children can do no wrong, they can look at it this way: If Mario Andretti was weaving in and out of traffic on the highway at 100mph, he ought to be stopped because the people around him are likely to react to the unexpected behavior, and they are likely to lose control (and possibly hurt Mr. Mario). The same applies to people on Heelys (I don't say kids because I have seen entire families wearing them). Even if you are the best Heely-driver ever, you're likely to freak someone out, who will end up getting hurt because you sail up onto them and they jump back into a flower bed and break their ankle. And then they let go of that stroller they were pushing and it goes sailing and knocks down the Heely-wearer.

People tend to respond favorably when they think it's in their best interest to do so. Sometimes, they just don't realize that even if they (or their child) is "perfect", the results of that "perfect" behavior can end up the same as if they were completely incompetent.

Videoteck

Original Poster
Senderella said:
I thought the trend had already died out. My niece had a pair several years ago. I don't remember seeing any "sailing kids" on our trip last May. I saw a TON this past Feb. It seemed to have made a come back or something.

Like I said in my first post I also saw alot in Feb, I hope when I go in Aug there is less.

Actually, skates of any kind are not supposed to be allowed in the parks. The Heelez are very difficult to enforce because they look almost like normal sneakers.

CatLady said:
I know some parents think that their kids are doing nothing wrong wearing (and using) Heelys. "But my kid has NEVER run into ANYTHING. He's really good with them!") For people whose children can do no wrong, they can look at it this way: If Mario Andretti was weaving in and out of traffic on the highway at 100mph, he ought to be stopped because the people around him are likely to react to the unexpected behavior, and they are likely to lose control (and possibly hurt Mr. Mario). The same applies to people on Heelys (I don't say kids because I have seen entire families wearing them). Even if you are the best Heely-driver ever, you're likely to freak someone out, who will end up getting hurt because you sail up onto them and they jump back into a flower bed and break their ankle. And then they let go of that stroller they were pushing and it goes sailing and knocks down the Heely-wearer.

People tend to respond favorably when they think it's in their best interest to do so. Sometimes, they just don't realize that even if they (or their child) is "perfect", the results of that "perfect" behavior can end up the same as if they were completely incompetent.
A good way to sum this up is a person is only as safe as the people around him.

I just made that up! I want a copyright!

...Wait...I work for Disney...that means they own it...@#&%! :mad: :brick:

robynchic

JustinTheClaw said:
Actually, skates of any kind are not supposed to be allowed in the parks. The Heelez are very difficult to enforce because they look almost like normal sneakers.
I remember custodial CMs being able to use them in Tomorrowland a few years ago. I guess they don't do that anymore.

Oh, and by the way- parades still use them. I have a couple friends that are Rust-Eze girls in Disney Stars and Motor Cars.

newfanatic

Kronos said:
Ok... //Me, I think that a trip to First Aid or Celebration Hospital ruins a visit to WDW... so I speak up and gently remind the guest that yes, Heelys are prohibited in the parks, and they need to remove the wheels.

Now, please.

While I watch.

And here's how you do it.

So, I've been called a jerk, a vacation-ruiner, insensitive, a "macho grande", a nazi, and been threatened with a lawsuit (this one from a woman who was upset because her Heely-wearing son is HANDICAPPED and an exception should be made! - nevermind the fact that I can't think of a single physical imparement that would be HELPED by Heelys - and no, I didn't say that, just that if he was mobility-impared, then we had wheelchairs and ECVs available for rent - but I could not allow or justify Heelys).

//CM rant mode off.
You are my hero! Enforcing this preserves the magic for the other guests, so you ARE doing your job. Bravo!:sohappy:

tinkish

If I were a kid, I'd love to scoot around in heelez... but, the reality is that a parent that allows their child to skate around anywhere near large crowds, needs to use their common sense, and start doing some responsible parenting. I'm a first grade teacher, and I will sometimes have students that show up to school with these things on their feet, and I send them directly to the office so that the principal can call their parents and make them bring a proper pair of shoes to school for their child to wear.

robynchic said:
I remember custodial CMs being able to use them in Tomorrowland a few years ago. I guess they don't do that anymore.

Oh, and by the way- parades still use them. I have a couple friends that are Rust-Eze girls in Disney Stars and Motor Cars.
I've never seen a CM in Heeliez (or however it's spelled), but I have seen pictures of Custodial CMs in Tokyo wearing in-line skates.

Rules are different for Cast Members, particularly those in Entertainment. They are trained to use skates in the park. Tarzan Rocks had skaters, and for the Grand Opening of Expedition Everest they had Entertainment people skating around dressed in elaborate costumes. (Check out the WDW Plugged In video podcast for the opening of Everest and I think they showed them.) Cast Members are allowed to do a lot of things that the Guests are not, but only because we are trained on how to do it safely.

robynchic

Senderella said:
a what???
Rust-Eze girls are in the Disney Stars and Motor Cars parade. Before each major float without some kind of general group of characters, they have a dance unit. The Ariel car and Aladdin and Jasmine cars both have these. The Rust-Eze girls are the "dancers" for "Cars" (Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater)

robynchic

Senderella said:
a what???
Rust-Eze girls are in the Disney Stars and Motor Cars parade. Before each major float without some kind of general group of characters, they have a dance unit. The Ariel car and Aladdin and Jasmine cars both have these. The Rust-Eze girls are the "dancers" for "Cars" (Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater)

Senderella

robynchic said:

That must be new then? Last time we were there (feb) it was the same old lineup. When did they add Cars to the parade? LOL I had no clue what a Rust-eze girl was. We haven't seen the movie yet (in case it's in there somewhere).

joanna71985

I was watching Cinderellabration at the castle, and there was this group of kids with the Heelez on. One of the attendants asked them to pop the wheels in. However, when I was leaving the park the same kids were in front of me. And they were skating again. Kids just don't listen.

joanna71985 said:
I was watching Cinderellabration at the castle, and there was this group of kids with the Heelez on. One of the attendants asked them to pop the wheels in. However, when I was leaving the park the same kids were in front of me. And they were skating again. Kids just don't listen.
It's not the kids that don't listen, it's the parents. If the parents had any sense of responsibility they'd realize that those things are a hazard to their children and the people around them, aside from being *darn* disrespectful. (Trying to stay Disney-friendly here! :wave:)

It's like the whole Tickle-Me-Elmo craze (bear with me, this does relate). Parents paid up to $1000 (maybe more) to get their child a Tickle-Me-Elmo for Christmas in 1996. Why? Because those parents lacked the spinal fortitude to tell their children "even Santa wasn't able to find you a Tickle-Me-Elmo this year, but maybe you'll get one for your birthday." Parents saying "no" to their children? Without an official figure of authority stepping in? Unheard of!

Please note that I am not referring to all parents out there. I know there are lots of good parents out there and I applaud your efforts. So if any parents out there are thinking this guy's insulting me as a parent and I am not like that then I am obviously not talking about you at all (unless you are in denial about your parenting, which is your problem, not mine).

I keep saying Disney World would be a great place if only the children were allowed. CMs can handle the children, it's the adults who make the most problems!

SewIn2Disney

I haven't read the past few pages, so I apoligize if this has been said, but I was just on the website for the Crayola Factory (located in Easton PA, cute place if your in the area, and have never been there!). Anyway, they actually have a rule that states, "no roller blades, or sneakers with wheels in them" allowed in or around the factory. (Even though you no longer tour the actual factory, it's more of a museum setup) Still, they finally have the rule, and besides schools, probably one of the only places I've seen the rule.

JimboJones123

WDW Tomorrowland used to have inline skaters too. I was offerd a spot doing it for the college program, but a class opened up so I had to turn down the skate shift.

robynchic

During my little vacation, Kerry and I saw a ton of kids with Heelez. He was watching them, and agreed that they're a huge safety risk for everyone surrounding anyone wearing them. We did see a cast member tell some kids to not skate, but what can you do? They'll just skate around whenever they can.

tinkish

joanna71985 said:
Like I had said before, I'm a teacher... and more and more these days kids will run right over the rules, and you, if they see any kind of opportunity to do so. Why do they do this? Because they know nothing will happen to them if they break the rules. It's as simple as that. There's no fear, or respect, or appreciation for anything that doesn't immediately benefit them. Okay, rant over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom