Those dang kids with those Heelez!!!

WhyteAL

I think I'm going to go buy me a pair today and wear them at the park next time I go. :)

Let's see how wants to fight...:p !

:mad: BRING IT!:mad:

LOL

I can't belive this thread is still going...

The Mom

Premium Member
inDisney said:
Well said. People always bump into others and they aren't wearing skates. Does that mean that they should ban the person from the park because they bumped into someone. Wearing skates or not, people still bump into each other. It's not like the skates made them bump into someone. The person is stupid with or without the skates on. It has nothing to do with skates, it has to do with their respect toward others.

The problem is not so much that they are bumping people, but that they are going faster than if they were walking, and have less control than if they were running. So they are able to knock others over when they hit, whereas if they were walking, they wouldn't do as much damage.

In a decade, I'll be entering the "danger" years as far as falls go. A child or twenty year old could get knocked over and still be OK; a 65+ year old is likely to break a hip, which is a life -threatening injury in that age group. They have a high 5 year post-injury mortality rate; my father died within 4 years of his, my mother has rapidly declined since her fall 4 years ago...she's still within the "window of death."

So what might appear to be a trivial problem to some is very, very, serious to others.

MinnieSummer

OK, I'm ready for the flaming. I let my daughter use her heelez in the parks. No she doesn't skate all over the place, we pull her along. If we're in an area where there aren't alot of people and she skates a little we let her. However, my daughter has JRA. Up until the purchase of the heelez, whenever we went to WDW we kept her in a stroller. She's almost 8 and hates being in the stroller as everyone looks at us like we're crazy. Since she looks normal people assume she is just lazy and that we are bad parents for babying her. (Yes people have made comments to that effect within earshot) The heelez allow her to be out of the stroller andeliminate the constant bending and straightening of her joints that, by the end of the day, become very painful. So for us the heelez are a Godsend. But we have been told by CM that she can't skate in the parks. We have a letter from her MD saying that she has JRA and have shown it to managament to get passes to use her stroller as a wheelchair in lines and such but aren't sure what the response will be to use the heelez. I guess we'll find out on our next trip.

Kadee

MinnieSummer said:
OK, I'm ready for the flaming. I let my daughter use her heelez in the parks. No she doesn't skate all over the place, we pull her along. If we're in an area where there aren't alot of people and she skates a little we let her. However, my daughter has JRA. Up until the purchase of the heelez, whenever we went to WDW we kept her in a stroller. She's almost 8 and hates being in the stroller as everyone looks at us like we're crazy. Since she looks normal people assume she is just lazy and that we are bad parents for babying her. (Yes people have made comments to that effect within earshot) The heelez allow her to be out of the stroller andeliminate the constant bending and straightening of her joints that, by the end of the day, become very painful. So for us the heelez are a Godsend. But we have been told by CM that she can't skate in the parks. We have a letter from her MD saying that she has JRA and have shown it to managament to get passes to use her stroller as a wheelchair in lines and such but aren't sure what the response will be to use the heelez. I guess we'll find out on our next trip.

MinnieSummer, you are one of those rare CONSIDERATE people. I, for one, would never say anything about your child on those heeleys or in a stroller. As long as she is not being rude or inconsiderate (or even worse...dangerous) on them, then there is no problem for me. I've said before, it is normally the parents allowing their children to go wild. I assume from your post that you are not one of those parents. I'm glad your daughter is able to enjoy the parks without a lot of pain.

goofntink

I agree her child is the exception, and they are being responsible and caring parents who are concerned about their childs happiness. The ones I believe everyone here thinks about are the little punks who I've seen that take a big running start then hop back on their heels to start rolling. They have no business doing that in a crowd of people or in a store. Someboby can and has been hurt. Not to long ago my wife and I were at Wal-mart and watched a 12 year old kid do exactly what I just previously described, and he ended up crashing into a woman, knocking her to the ground like she was hit by a linebacker,and splitting her head wide open on the concrete floor. Then the little S.O.B. gets up and hauls a**. Myself and two other people chase him all over the store, and get to him just as he runs up to his parents. The father goes ballistic,screamed "Who the hell do you think you are!" And as we started to tell him what is going on, while his kid still has a big grin on his face behind him,the nice men in blue run up and plant his son's face in the DVD rack. Can't explain how fast that smarta** grin disappeared and the tears began, but you can probably imagine how hard we laughed when they told him he was charged with assault. HAHAHAHAHA!:D Come to find out store personnel asked him 3 times to stop just before it happened.

MeTa

Punkss said:
I had a go with some adult ones and found them pretty fun, if a little socially embarassing for a 23 year old to be wheeling around.

Its a shame when they are not used responsibily but hey it is fun.

I'm 26 and have always wanted to give them a go.:wave:

tink rules

I think we put the kids with the wheels and the people who don't need the ECV's but rent them anyway in the same category.... LOSERS!!!!!!

BG Rugger

Heeleys. Just another example of the kids being soft these days. Its bad enough every playground comes with super-soft padded rubber mats, electrical sockets have plastic guards, cupboards have child-proof locks, and if someone wants to even play softball they are required to wear mouthguards, sliding guards, chest protectors and batting helmets that look like football helmets. Now they dont even have to walk...sheez!!!:animwink:

Ringo8n24

inDisney said:
Well said. People always bump into others and they aren't wearing skates. Does that mean that they should ban the person from the park because they bumped into someone. Wearing skates or not, people still bump into each other. It's not like the skates made them bump into someone. The person is stupid with or without the skates on. It has nothing to do with skates, it has to do with their respect toward others.

:goodnevil If someone bumps into you, your odds of falling down are quite minimal. Think about it...the majority of the time you get bumped by someone taking a picture on Main Street, for example, the person says "excuse me" and everyone goes about their day. If someone were to skate into you, you are more likely to fall if you were not expecting it, especially if the person ran into was a toddler or elderly person. An elderly person or a small child could get really hurt by that. Geez, an elderly person could get a broken hip from the fall and those can be life-threatening. I just do not agree with them at the parks unless in the unique situation of the handicapped child.

fers31

inDisney said:

And there it is folks, your dumbest quote in the post. Thank you "inDisney" for this useful bit of info. I like where you write "It's not like the skates made them bump into someone." That's the whole point buddy. Kids are flying around at a much faster rate because of the skates and easily lose control and bump into people. There's quite a difference if a kid comes skating into you or of someone bumps into you. Think about the momentum when you're on skates (if it helps you can picture a skateboard, bicycle, or any other item that you ride that is on wheels.) Thank you

goofntink

I 2nd Fers31 motion for dumbest post by Indisney. The problem is these kids are flying on those heelez, and the fact of the matter is they end up running into people from behind, it's the lucky ones facing forward who don't get hurt cause they see the little punk coming and get out of the way Indisney. Ohh and for our Cm's out there those stupid shoes have an insert that goes into the sole after you pop out the wheels, which takes all of about 10 secs per shoe to do. And the majority of the time those little snots have them in their pockets!:mad:

robynchic

Oh dear...here I go resurrecting a thread to explain a recent personal example...

When I was working a few weeks ago, a kid in these shoes came zipping right up to me, almost knocking me over. His parents became upset with him, and his mom threatened to take out the key. *Flash Flash* the family leaves the area, happy to have their pics taken.

A few hours later, I'm walking back from lunch, after a heavy rain, and I'm walking past the whole Narnia exhibit. I don't know if any of you notice, but it SNOWS by the Narnia thing...and all the snow is is soap bubbles. Who do I see but the same family, same darn kid, SAME DARN HEELEZ, and he decides to skate through a soapy puddle, and ACTUALLY knocking me over. This kid had to be 12 or 13- he wasn't young enough to NOT realize his actions may have consequences like a P.O.'d CM. I looked at him, and at the parents, and said "Hey, don't those things have a key? The wheels being popped out are actually prohibited in the park, but cast members can't examine every person's shoes." The mom glared at her son, fumbled in the bag, and said "Sit down in that same puddle you knocked her into, and give me your shoes." I watched the kid's heels be put in, while he gave me a dirty look.

Yes, those things ARE dangerous- especially with the summer months and the rain every day. I don't know if it's possible to hydroplane in Heelez, but I wouldn't be suprised if it is, and that kids HAVE injured more people.

And the most common thing I hear parents say, when I'm walking around the parks, and their kid nearly bumps into someone? "Watch where you're going." And nothing more. The parents are willing to spend SO MUCH on these shoes, but don't think of the extra responsibilities that these shoes may entail. If I bought my child these shoes (which you can bet I won't!), I would lock in the wheel before we left on our trip, and "accidently" leave the key at home.

MagliteL13

robynchic said:
Oh dear...here I go resurrecting a thread to explain a recent personal example...

Ahhhh, the sweet justice. I bet ya got even more of a kick from it cause they had no idea who you were.

Just so ya don't feel alone in the "Posting a month late" club. (Which, BTW, has monthly meetings that are scheduled for the second tuesday, but everyone arrives on the third tuesday.) ;)

I absolutely love watching the kids at Jungle with those shoes. Outside of the queue line, there's the big hill and kids always fall down, but the glory comes when they get in line and try to skate around on our dock surface. It's almost as if the kid is asking "Hey Mr. Dock, can you trip me so I can fall down?" Usually, asking the parent to remove the wheels ends in them saying "I've been trying to do that all day." Some of the shoes actually require a hex key to remove the wheels. In the dock box, there's a convienently placed hex key which just happens to be the same size.

I'm waiting for a kid to skate into the river. Then I'll be sad.......that there weren't enough CMs around to laugh at the kid who skated into the river after being told not to.

cdunbar

I totally agree that parks should ban them hec, everyone should I mean I was doing my christmas shopping back in december at our local mall had my hands full one kid comes and runs right into me, packages go everywhere which completly ruined my system and told the kid he better run away if he was smart, and that kid took off! I mean why can't these kids seem to understand, yes the concept is cool but the simple fact is these are very very dangerous!

MinnieSummer

In response to those who commented on my post a few pages back, yes we may be the exception but would you know that if you saw us in the park or would you automatically assume we were like all the other parents of kids in heeleys letting her run wild? Since she doesn't wear a sign and looks perfectly healthy everyone makes the assumption, just as they did when she was in the stroller, that we are bad parents and she is lazy (I believe someone posted that "they don't even have to walk anymore"). Rude kids come from rude parents as stated but the comments made by other adults about us within hearing range are teaching rudeness to their children just in a different way. I'm not condoning the use of these shoes, but, just as I asked people to be tolerant of us in the stroller when we were allowed to use wheelchair entrances and they were not, I ask that people be tolerant of these shoes. Even after explaining the situation to a CM at MK we were told we could not use the shoes. So do I put her back in the stroller and listen to the rude remarks made by other parents, rent a wheel chair and embarass her, or let her walk and hope for the best?

LaughingGravy

What does your daughter do in school to get around?

If it is the wheels in the shoes, I kindly suggest this.
Go into the park as you normally would, maybe remove the wheels/lock them whatever temporarily prior to approaching the entrance if getting in is an issue, then quietly and unobtrusively put them back on once you are in. it may take going into a quiet corner, or a restroom.

You said you pull her around and sometimes let her skate on her own.

To alleviate any trouble, don't let her skate around on her own, as that invites someone to say something.

Those are the circumstances. That seems to me to be a reasonable course of action, to adapt to what will accomplish the goal and not be noticed.

I think a compromise is the best solution under the circumstances, since you've fought the 'good fight' of trying to explain the situation.
You did your best and if you still want to visit the Disney parks happily, a little modification is in order.

With all else that goes on that people get away with(i.e. smokers in non-designated places, line-jumpers/multi-place holders), if your daughter isn't skating off on her own, it shouldn't be a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom