This is why we go to Disney...

Superpocky

Original Poster
I've been following some gloom and doom threads recently and I wanted chime in on why Disney still draws us in.

Two days ago at the Friendship dock at Hollywood studios, a little boy, maybe 3 years old, started crying and kept on repeating "that's my favorites". He dropped his Mickey toy in the lake. The captain of the boat got to work quickly to retrieve it and a few minutes later he successfully found the toy and handed it to the little boy. The boy and the family seemed elated. But that's not the end of it. when the boy got to his resort, a brand new toy was waiting for him. The resort was the Beach and yacht club so maybe it was a 10 minute ride. During that time, they some how managed to find the exact same toy and have it waiting for the boy at the dock!

I personally experienced something similar with my daughter. So I know how the parents of the boy felt.

Their commitment to customer service is just magical.

draybook

Nice story. But why is it that negative experiences are considered "doom and gloom". Look, we're all humans, including the CMs. There's going to be bad along with the good. Pointing out the bad is okay. It isn't doom and gloom. I've had way more positive experiences than I have negative ones.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Nice story. But why is it that negative experiences are considered "doom and gloom". Look, we're all humans, including the CMs. There's going to be bad along with the good. Pointing out the bad is okay. It isn't doom and gloom. I've had way more positive experiences than I have negative ones.

I think it's usually because there is usually more to talk about stuff that are "doom and gloom" rather than just the happy experiences. Happy experiences = nothing more than a "thats wonderful" or "i had the exact same experience, or something similar, let me repeat nearly the same thing." Whereas if you're talking about a "doom and gloom" situation... There are going to be people who will want to contradict you, agree with you, share their side of how it should have happen/been fixed, ect... So there is a lot more to talk about... Which is probably why the forums here last so long. They're usually ones that are negative/bug fixes/grand opening attractions that are "underwhelming" ect.

bcoachable

I like your story! When it comes down to it, the people on the front lines of the parks do such a nice job of making the experience for the visitors so memorable. We were on a boat with CM Marty heading out from the MK to the Poly the other day. He broke into "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" just before we docked...
long story short... made our families day!!!

Superpocky

Original Poster
I like your story! When it comes down to it, the people on the front lines of the parks do such a nice job of making the experience for the visitors so memorable. We were on a boat with CM Marty heading out from the MK to the Poly the other day. He broke into "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" just before we docked...

There has been a lot of negative stories because of the budget cuts and I wanted to share a story that the budget cuts haven't change the Disney way. Honestly, without the CMs, Disney wouldn't be special, it would be just another theme park.

BackOTheLine

Had this same CM on a couple of boat rides while staying at WL. He goes at it like that on every trip, as far as I can tell. You can't help but smile. And yeah... Those little moments are part of the reason why we keep coming back. They don't happen every day but there's just enough of them to leave a lasting impression.

draybook

The reason there are so many negative stories is because of the internet and forums such as these. People complain more and more when they find people like them and when they can hide. It is easier to ***** if no one really knows who you are.

I have no problem complaining with my FACE showing to the left and via emails to their Guest Services. I also have no problem giving kudos to their workers, especially Mr. John in Tomorrowland. Any other hilarious theories you'd like to share?

Superpocky

Original Poster
Had this same CM on a couple of boat rides while staying at WL. He goes at it like that on every trip, as far as I can tell. You can't help but smile. And yeah... Those little moments are part of the reason why we keep coming back. They don't happen every day but there's just enough of them to leave a lasting impression.

I have a very similar story. A bus monitor at Boardwalk entertained the kids, and the adults alike while waiting for the bus by performing "magic" tricks, telling bad pun jokes (still funny), and do sing-a-alongs. I think his name was Nico. We'll never forget it.

Superpocky

Original Poster
I can tell you so many magical stories. But, overall it is the way the CMs treat my 76 year old Mom. They just go above and beyond to make her feel special and comfortable. Thanks for sharing the story.:)

It's true! Back when Cat Cora's Kouzzina (My favorite restaurant at the world RIP :cry:) was around, we had our dinner as usual and my daughter got her dessert as usual, make your own cup cake with all the fixings. Well, my daughter did some decorating but wasn't happy with it and let our server know that she thought her cup cake was "ugly". A moment later, our wonderful server brought out a whole new make your own cup cake kit for my daughter to make!

These are the little things we'll always remember.

bcoachable

We visited (all too briefly) with Marty... His first gig was as a talk show host in Philly, and also a jazz singer. When he retired, he decided to take his talents to Orlando, and now makes peoples days driving the boats and singing Disney Classics!!

pluto77

Nice story!

I got one from my last trip that happened to my mother-in-law. She spent the entire trip looking for the perfect zip up hoodie. She wanted a Tigger one, but ended up finding a Mickey one at our Port Orleans gift shop towards the end of the trip. They did not have one in her size, and they told us some places to go that the computer was showing had some. Well the next day, we went to some of those places, and they didn't end up having any either so the CM at Port Orleans told us to check back there the next day because they were getting a new shipment in. Well, her size still didn't come in, so the CM actually told her that, if it came in within the next two weeks, they would mail it to her for free (no charge for the sweatshirt or shipping). So it wasn't a for sure thing, but she got it in the mail a couple days ago! A free zip up hoodie!

Yes, I'm slightly bitter that it happened to her on her first trip when nothing like that has ever happened to me lol. But, she had never been to WDW (only Disneyland, and not since the 80's) so somebody somewhere knew that she needed to be shown the Disney "magic."

BigRedDad

I agree to an extent. The problem is you are comparing the actions of CMs to the blindness of the Execs.

No, Disney is not doom and gloom. Any rational person would know that. Where there are complaints about the Disney operation, there are many facts. The Execs thought they could sit on the parks while others expanded and refurbished. Disney is playing catch up. While they are doing what they need to now, the other parks are already working on what is next. Disney is only working on the catch up work.

The other issue is Disney is not looking at the Middle Class and lower. They are purposefully pricing themselves out of the middle class money. Here is a REAL example. A week long trip in a 1BR condo (even offsite) at WDW for family of 3 (all adults now with daughter 10), will run about $4,000 (~$1,000 for tickets, at least $1,500 for an onsite 1BR room, and another $1,500 for travel and food). Yes, you can cut about $750 for the room staying offsite, still $3,250 for a week. We are heading to Williamsburg this year instead. $400 for 1BR condo, $200 for Summer Passes (end of March through Labor Day), travel and dining will be at most $1,000. That is at least a 50% discount off what Disney will cost.

People are also looking at other opportunities as well. My brother's family goes camping in GA and other areas for a month each Summer. The total cost is about $1,000 for a month (they are both teachers and live in FL).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom