Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Goofyernmost

Who knew people could become so annoyed by trees? What do you want Disney to do, cut them down every ten years?
Actually, they do need to be replaced, if for no other reason, when they become big enough that they throw off the forced perspective and ruin the show. And they have been replaced quite regularly. The big thing lately is the Hub, which had to be adjusted to fit the new show, not the fireworks, but the castle projection show. People like it , people want to see it and the very reason for WDW to even exist is to entertain and make people happy. The few tree huggers that are appalled that Disney would remove a tree also must remember that before they built the place it was a swamp with hardly any trees at all, at least where the castle is located. It's just another example of people that are just not able to adapt to changes that disrupt their memories of their childhood as distorted as that might be.

The Battletoad

Actually, they do need to be replaced, if for no other reason, when they become big enough that they throw off the forced perspective and ruin the show. And they have been replaced quite regularly. The big thing lately is the Hub, which had to be adjusted to fit the new show, not the fireworks, but the castle projection show. People like it , people want to see it and the very reason for WDW to even exist is to entertain and make people happy. The few tree huggers that are appalled that Disney would remove a tree also must remember that before they built the place it was a swamp with hardly any trees at all, at least where the castle is located. It's just another example of people that are just not able to adapt to changes that disrupt their memories of their childhood as distorted as that might be.
Yes, I see what you are saying about the forced perspective, but the trees do not have to be cut down every 5 years or so.

EpcoTim

The few tree huggers that are appalled that Disney would remove a tree also must remember that before they built the place it was a swamp with hardly any trees at all, at least where the castle is located. It's just another example of people that are just not able to adapt to changes that disrupt their memories of their childhood as distorted as that might be.

I know you're just trying to paint an unpleasant picture of people who appreciate certain things, but to say the swamps had 'hardly any trees' is just wrong. I'll include some links so no one uses the "google it for me card".

A tree hugger, really? The term has negative connotations to many, so it can be used in a derogatory manner, but why use it to describe someone who liked the look and possibly the shade provided? The tree lined view down Main Street, the castle appearing over the tree tops, the feeling they provided.

https://www.floridamemory.com/blog/2014/06/27/when-disney-came-to-florida/

Goofyernmost

I know you're just trying to paint an unpleasant picture of people who appreciate certain things, but to say the swamps had 'hardly any trees' is just wrong. I'll include some links so no one uses the "google it for me card".

A tree hugger, really? The term has negative connotations to many, so it can be used in a derogatory manner, but why use it to describe someone who liked the look and possibly the shade provided? The tree lined view down Main Street, the castle appearing over the tree tops, the feeling they provided.

https://www.floridamemory.com/blog/2014/06/27/when-disney-came-to-florida/
I apologize for the "tree hugger" comment. I just couldn't find a better description. To me trees are great, but, this isn't enchanted forest, this is WDW. The trees on Main Street were tiny when the place opened. They grew to block that view and had to be replaced. The Hub, due to changes in script also were more of a door then a window and blocked the view of the castle as well as the castle show. Removing them and replacing them with smaller and different types of trees that still provided pleasant visuals and afforded a better view of the show can only be thought of as a good move. In spite of the "concrete" description of the Hub, it is anything but that, however, try and tell that to those that think that those trees were there for a hundred years.

The concern about the fake grass with no concern over what would happen after one rainy day with real grass is beyond my ability to take seriously. I've only seen the hub partially done, but, it didn't take any imagination to appreciate just how good it did look. I have also been to Europe where they have a number of non-plastic castles and all of them have elaborate gardens mostly without trees to enhance the view of their castles. You guys want real... well there it is.

Horizons1

Swamps don't have trees, huh?

Goofyernmost

Swamps don't have trees, huh?
Not the kind you are thinking about... no!
Imagineering-Disney_WDW-pre-1971_aerial_2_640.jpg

Hardly a jungle scene during construction, so any trees you currently see there were put there by Disney

Goofyernmost

You do realize Disney cleared the land beforehand, right? They didn't just stumble across a clearing and say "This looks Magic Kingdom sized. Put the park here".
Of course I realize that, but, just like you I do not know what, if anything, was there before. That's not even the point. The point is that whatever was there for us to see was put there by Disney. If you're trying to convince me that some form of trees existed in the area previous to Disney, it won't take much to do so. If you are trying to convince me that the removal of the trees put there by Disney after construction is an assault on nature, you need to talk a lot on that topic.

Horizons1

Here's a very rough overlay of an aerial map of what would become the Disney property northern area (MK/TTC area) from1947.
I have drawn very crudely over to show approximate location of MK, Seven Seas Lagoon and Contemp Resort.
Oh, yeah! You saw that right 1947 aerial map. Sorry no closer zoom.

View attachment 103269
Isn't that amazing? Look at all that in 1947.

anchorman314

I forget if I first saw it somewhere on these threads, but there is a website that lets you compare aerial maps from decades ago to more recent maps. For example, the maps covering WDW go all the way back to 1969, and are current through 2013. You can choose the Compare / Slider option to show them side-by-side, with a little slider that lets you easily show before and after. I fell into the rabbit hole that is this site and spent about an hour combing through both WDW and my local area.

I'm not sure if I can post the link, so just Google "historic aerials" and pick the site with that as its URL.

chiefs11

Fifth photo pair. August 1978: Entrance to Space Mountain.

View attachment 103413

Now: July 2015.

View attachment 103414
Hard to tell, but it looks like the standby wait time is 40 minutes in both pics .. lol. I guess some things stay the same.

I always liked the sculpture(?) of the bobsled with the guys in spacesuits in it. :)

Love your pics, keep em comin!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom