Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Goofyernmost

Hard to tell, but it looks like the standby wait time is 40 minutes in both pics .. lol. I guess some things stay the same.

I always liked the sculpture(?) of the bobsled with the guys in spacesuits in it. :)

Love your pics, keep em comin!
Quite possible... Back then the number one attraction at WDW was Space Mountain. At rope drop it was a sprint directly to SM. It's a wonder people weren't stampeded in the process. The difference was that back then 40 minutes was probably pretty accurate now 40 minutes can mean up to 90.

That is were I developed my touring direction that I still use today. When everyone was running to Space Mountain, I would turn to the left at the end of Main Street and it would be practically deserted. We'd go on every ride moving clockwise and would eventually meet the crowd in the middle, around Small World. After that it was a much smaller line for all the attractions moving clockwise.

Tom Morrow

Here's a very rough overlay of an aerial map of what would become the Disney property northern area (MK/TTC area) from1947.
I have drawn very crudely over to show approximate location of MK, Seven Seas Lagoon and Contemp Resort.
Oh, yeah! You saw that right 1947 aerial map. Sorry no closer zoom.

View attachment 103269
I wouldn't have guessed that Reams Road and Lake Hancock Road existed in 1947... interesting! Where did you find this? I love seeing photos of the area from before WDW.

Monorail_Red_77

I wouldn't have guessed that Reams Road and Lake Hancock Road existed in 1947... interesting! Where did you find this? I love seeing photos of the area from before WDW.

I'll have to double check my sources and report back. I think it was a Florida archive project done by a university.

Professor_Jason

When we were kids my Dad was always take a good look around the River at Disneyland and tell us how there were no trees there when was a kid, I totally get what he was talking about looking at all the Magic Kingdom pics

Goofyernmost

Photo's, contrary to belief, are not inclusive evidence of the reality, especially in the sense of how they are used on a site like this one. If I had 5 photos of different areas in WDW and 4 of them showed a large number of strollers and one didn't, what does one suppose would be used if my arguing point was there were fewer back then then now. Couple that with the fact that every picture is a moment in time and it really tells one nothing.

Over the years attitudes have changed about how things should be done. I remember back in 1983, as I stated once before, people didn't take younger (infant) children to theme parks as often as they do now. That increases the number of strollers by a large margin right there, add to that the idea that it never occurred to us back then that if our children were healthy and able to walk, that they wouldn't be walking. Getting a stroller didn't even cross our minds and they at the older age of 5 and above would have been highly insulted if they were treated like babies. Not so in today's world. Same applies to Scooters. Back then if you were elderly, unable to walk long distances you stayed home. Thank goodness that is no longer the way to think. We now have things that can make living a long time more enjoyable and society encourages us to "just do it".

With the very few problems that strollers and scooters actually cause* it really shouldn't even be a talking point at all. the alleged "victims" of the two are usually the ones responsible for the few encounters that do occur with them whether we like it or not. Every single incident that I have seen has been when someone is not paying attention and steps in front of or generally is oblivious to the world around them.

*No one has ever used one to intentionally hurt someone, I don't care what spin you put on it. Share the world and all will be fine. I have been going to WDW for 32 years now and have never been hit by anything. Yet, we hear of people getting hit all the time. Well, that tells me that there is one common denominator in that scenario and that is the person that is getting hit. You are doing something wrong even if it is just carrying the attitude that everyone else has to watch out for you instead of you being aware of it being your responsibility to stay out of harms way.

jloucks

First shot of Tomorrowland Entry is probably in the 80s... The 1971 entrance was just simple blue tile with water pouring over it, and downward water jets on the spires. The tiles were removed and the graphics arrives about 10 years later...I guess there were issues with the roof leaks and fountain maintenance.
It sure was amazing though...View attachment 102263
This shot would have been taken around 1975 as Space Mountain is visible over the roof.

Wow, that is something I wish I could have experienced. The mists and sounds must have been really cool.

jloucks

Photo's, contrary to belief, are not inclusive evidence of the reality, especially in the sense of how they are used on a site like this one. If I had 5 photos of different areas in WDW and 4 of them showed a large number of strollers and one didn't, what does one suppose would be used if my arguing point was there were fewer back then then now. Couple that with the fact that every picture is a moment in time and it really tells one nothing.

Over the years attitudes have changed about how things should be done. I remember back in 1983, as I stated once before, people didn't take younger (infant) children to theme parks as often as they do now. That increases the number of strollers by a large margin right there, add to that the idea that it never occurred to us back then that if our children were healthy and able to walk, that they wouldn't be walking. Getting a stroller didn't even cross our minds and they at the older age of 5 and above would have been highly insulted if they were treated like babies. Not so in today's world. Same applies to Scooters. Back then if you were elderly, unable to walk long distances you stayed home. Thank goodness that is no longer the way to think. We now have things that can make living a long time more enjoyable and society encourages us to "just do it".

With the very few problems that strollers and scooters actually cause* it really shouldn't even be a talking point at all. the alleged "victims" of the two are usually the ones responsible for the few encounters that do occur with them whether we like it or not. Every single incident that I have seen has been when someone is not paying attention and steps in front of or generally is oblivious to the world around them.

*No one has ever used one to intentionally hurt someone, I don't care what spin you put on it. Share the world and all will be fine. I have been going to WDW for 32 years now and have never been hit by anything. Yet, we hear of people getting hit all the time. Well, that tells me that there is one common denominator in that scenario and that is the person that is getting hit. You are doing something wrong even if it is just carrying the attitude that everyone else has to watch out for you instead of you being aware of it being your responsibility to stay out of harms way.
Or you're just lucky. That is like somebody that has never been in a car wreck taking all the credit for never being in a wreck. My wife has been in three. All three at stoplights when not moving. All three just ran into her bumper. People can hit you. With a stroller, car, scooter, whatever. I hate to break it too you, but while skill may be involved, luck is a huge factor. The common denominator may be the victim, but we all know how well victim blaming pans out in the long run.

Goofyernmost

Or you're just lucky. That is like somebody that has never been in a car wreck taking all the credit for never being in a wreck. My wife has been in three. All three at stoplights when not moving. All three just ran into her bumper. People can hit you. With a stroller, car, scooter, whatever. I hate to break it too you, but while skill may be involved, luck is a huge factor. The common denominator may be the victim, but we all know how well victim blaming pans out in the long run.
True, but in this case the odds are that the "victim" was highly responsible for it. There is a difference between sitting at a stop light and traversing through a theme park. Ask your insurance company how many "no fault" accidents you have to be in before your rates go up. The theory is that if one is involved in an accident often enough it tells them that they are not paying attention to their surroundings and therefore not making the right decisions that might have prevented it.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Back to Then and Now photos......

Sixth photo pair. Then: May 1974. Harper's Mill on Tom Sawyer Island. A weathered wood building with no paint. After park opening for 2 1/2 years, the trees in the foreground are still small.

019 May 1974.jpg

Now: July 2015. 41 years later, the pine trees in the foreground are gone now. The river bank is planted with bushes. The fence and stone wall are still there, just hidden by trees and shade. Of course, Harper's Mill itself is an appropriate red weathered paint color.

IMG_5767 copy.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Back to Then and Now photos......

Sixth photo pair. Then: May 1974. Harper's Mill on Tom Sawyer Island. A weathered wood building with no paint. After park opening for 2 1/2 years, the trees in the foreground are still small.

View attachment 103865

Now: July 2015. 41 years later, the pine trees in the foreground are gone now. The river bank is planted with bushes. The fence and stone wall are still there, just hidden by trees and shade. Of course, Harper's Mill itself is an appropriate red weathered paint color.

View attachment 103866

I've been really enjoying your interesting pictures throughout this thread, and thank you for sharing them.

The set of Harper's Mill pictures were intriguing, because both renditions look appropriate, IMO. I might lean a little bit toward the 1974, unpainted version of the mill; yet, the reddish/brown painted color on the 2015 mill also blends in nicely on Tom Sawyer Island.

Goofyernmost

I've been really enjoying your interesting pictures throughout this thread, and thank you for sharing them.

The set of Harper's Mill pictures were intriguing, because both renditions look appropriate, IMO. I might lean a little bit toward the 1974, unpainted version of the mill; yet, the reddish/brown painted color on the 2015 mill also blends in nicely on Tom Sawyer Island.
Besides, if they kept it unpainted there would be an uproar about how awful Disney Maintenance is. Imagine letting it get to the point that it looks like it's ready to fall down. Those guys just don't care. ;)

Maerj

I believe so

Here's some from Magic Kingdom

2009 - Fantasyland Skyway Station
reminders_skywaytotl2009ww.jpg

2013 - Tangled Toilets
reminders_skywaytotl2013ww.jpg

1983 - Haunted Mansion
mkthennow1_hauntedmansion1983ww.jpg

2011 - Haunted Mansion
mkthennow1_hauntedmansion2011ww.jpg

1983 - Pirates
mkthennow1_pirates1983ww.jpg

2011 - Pirates
mkthennow1_pirates2011ww.jpg

1983 - it's a small world
mkthennow2_smallworld1983ww.jpg

2011 - it's a small world
mkthennow2_smallworld2011ww.jpg

Photos from Magic King Then and Now Part 1&2, as well as The Magic Kingdom Skyway - Yesterland. com

Look at all of those strollers in the 80s picture and all of the people walking in the new one! This proves that EVERYONE used strollers back then and most people walk nowadays! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom