The Yankee Trader closing for refurbishment - is a dedicated Haunted Mansion gift shop coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magenta Panther

To be honest, I wasn't sure. So I googled it. For those curious:

Memento mori (Latin 'remember that you will die'), or also memento mortis, “remember death”, is the Latin medieval designation of the theory and practice of the reflection on mortality, especially as a means of considering the vanity of earthly life and the transient nature of all earthly goods and pursuits. Memento mori has been an important part of ascetic disciplines as a means of perfecting the character, by cultivating detachment and other virtues, and turning the attention towards the immortality of the soul and the afterlife.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_mori

I must say there is great irony in using a phrase which is meant to show material things are fleeting on a gift shop. :D

A WARNING: Do not, do NOT, look up memento mori images on Google. My GOD. Nightmare fuel on a Texas-oil-field level. The Victorians were creepy as heck. No wonder Victorian mansions are often depicted as haunted. In a real sense, they WERE. Did you know that what we call the "living room" part of a house used to be called the "death room" during Victorian times? That room was a parlor set aside for viewing the dead, and for wakes. When funeral parlors became popular, the Victorians started taking their dead there, and the "death room" name was changed to "the living room". I used to wonder about that name...now I know...gahhhh. And the photographs, oh, the photographs...:eek::eek::eek:

Wildflower

Hmmm.... Might as well take exception with little Leota saying "be sure to bring your death certificate"... older kids after all can understand that one perfectly. Or the portraits of the clearly bad guys around the loading area. Or the disappearing heads of Constance's late husbands. (and so on) Memento Mori as a name at least would have to be explained to them and is thus in the article guy's lap as a parent to explain (or not) as he sees fit.

Haymarket2008

I think it's a fantastic name for the shop! Very clever and eerie. And Memento Mori is no less macabre than the entirety of the Haunted Mansion. Yes, the ride is silly at some points. But it is an incredibly disturbing experience when you look past the "Disney". A woman who beheads her multiple husbands with an axe? Suicide by hanging? A farewell to the guests saying they should bring their death certificate? This is all part of the fun :) So I think any criticism made about the title of the store needs to be rethought!

Magenta Panther

I think it's a fantastic name for the shop! Very clever and eerie. And Memento Mori is no less macabre than the entirety of the Haunted Mansion. Yes, the ride is silly at some points. But it is an incredibly disturbing experience when you look past the "Disney". A woman who beheads her multiple husbands with an axe? Suicide by hanging? A farewell to the guests saying they should bring their death certificate? This is all part of the fun :) So I think any criticism made about the title of the store needs to be rethought!

Personally I think it's a great name for a Haunted Mansion gift shop. Just don't look up REAL memento mori stuff online...:eek:

Rob562

I can't find them at the moment, but doesn't the name "Memento Mori" at Mansion date back to those created-but-rejected plans to add a crypt-themed gift shop directly on to the Mansion exit queue?

-Rob

Figments Friend

To be honest, I wasn't sure. So I googled it. For those curious:

Memento mori (Latin 'remember that you will die'), or also memento mortis, “remember death”, is the Latin medieval designation of the theory and practice of the reflection on mortality, especially as a means of considering the vanity of earthly life and the transient nature of all earthly goods and pursuits. Memento mori has been an important part of ascetic disciplines as a means of perfecting the character, by cultivating detachment and other virtues, and turning the attention towards the immortality of the soul and the afterlife.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_mori

I must say there is great irony in using a phrase which is meant to show material things are fleeting on a gift shop. :D

Yes indeed!
:joyfull:

A well thought out, and clever name however.

tl77

The term Memento Mori gets associated with this image a lot (even though that's not the title of the picture) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Allan_Gilbert
237494_640.jpg

and Disney recreated the image for a scene in Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris
tumblr_ml4snzgMS11s0c4z4o3_r1_1280.jpg

Goofnut1980

I hope TDO realizes the "cash crop" they always wanted will happen if they did this more... Theme the little shops at the end of the ride with special products. It used to be like that in the past... you couldn't buy ornaments anywhere except, Days of Christmas and that place would be packedddddddd. I enjoy the shops with different merchandise.

Victor Kelly

I hope TDO realizes the "cash crop" they always wanted will happen if they did this more... Theme the little shops at the end of the ride with special products. It used to be like that in the past... you couldn't buy ornaments anywhere except, Days of Christmas and that place would be packedddddddd. I enjoy the shops with different merchandise.

I am with you on this. POTC had a shop that was packed with pirate stuff, now it is a storage room. HM had a small magic and gift shop to the left as you walked up, that died many years ago.

George Lucas on a Bench

I think the small shop (or cart) was better suited to the Mansion. Disney is really trying to sell the Mansion now, probably because someone pointed out that they sell a crapload of Jack Skeleton junk when they have the Holiday versions at the other parks, but there wasn't really much in the way of normal Mansion merchandise. However, most of this new paraphernalia doesn't reflect the spirit (if you will) of the attraction at all and, given the Mansion's cultish status, it is quite ill-conceived.

ToTBellHop

I think the small shop (or cart) was better suited to the Mansion. Disney is really trying to sell the Mansion now, probably because someone pointed out that they sell a crapload of Jack Skeleton junk when they have the Holiday versions at the other parks, but there wasn't really much in the way of normal Mansion merchandise. However, most of this new paraphernalia doesn't reflect the spirit (if you will) of the attraction at all and, given the Mansion's cultish status, it is quite ill-conceived.
Many seem to disagree. I would bet this will be quite profitable for disney.

MotherOfBirds

I have to disagree. First of all, I think the continued existence of Hot Topic is proof enough that any gothic disney merch will make a killing. And secondly, the current offerings are a bit of a mixed bag in terms of "spirit". I don't think it will take them long to figure out what kind of HM merch people are looking for and in time it'll be more faithful to the ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom