News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Robbiem

I didn’t realise how small Warner Discovery and Paramount were in value compared to Disney (of course Disney has the parks)

I can’t believe they are all needing to merge to survive these days mainly because of streaming and people not going to the cinema like they used to.

The whole thing is insane. Streaming just seems like another dot com bubble- maybe the studios should have kept their cut from Netflix / Amazon etc rather than all competing with each other. It will be interesting to see how the media world looks in the future- will companies like Sony/Columbia and Lionsgate get swallowed up as well?

denyuntilcaught

The whole thing is insane. Streaming just seems like another dot com bubble- maybe the studios should have kept their cut from Netflix / Amazon etc rather than all competing with each other. It will be interesting to see how the media world looks in the future- will companies like Sony/Columbia and Lionsgate get swallowed up as well?
With Lionsgate it's literally a matter of time.

_caleb

I didn’t realise how small Warner Discovery and Paramount were in value compared to Disney (of course Disney has the parks)

I can’t believe they are all needing to merge to survive these days mainly because of streaming and people not going to the cinema like they used to.
I mean, we've been trying to tell people...

_caleb

A bubble? When was the last time you bought a CD to listen to your favorite music?

Netflix and Amazon have cut out the studios by poaching creatives, producing their own content, and leveraging data to track consumer behavior.

Disney didn't have a choice but to pivot to streaming. The smaller guys are going to get bought/bundled or put out of business.

Lilofan

It's all about vinyl now. I have a growing collection.
I remember seeing a Crosby/Nash ( still barefoot ) acoustic show with about 300 other fans on the tennis court area of the Peabody Hotel in Orlando back in the day. What a night and riding with David Crosby in the hotel elevator was a barrel of laughs. He signed fans vinyl records pre concert.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I mean, we've been trying to tell people...
Indeed we have.

Behold... The Streaming Wars. In which a company is trying to make their streaming service to be profitable. We have...

Making profit: Netflix and Hulu​
Not making profit but has deep pockets from their daddy corporation to be a loss leader for years to come: Apple+, Prime, Peacock, and Disney+.​
  • Although, Disney+ is on track to become profitable within this fiscal year.
  • Comcast isn't very happy with Peacock being far from winning the Streaming Wars and is getting antsy supporting it.
Not making profit, no deep pockets, and not likely to profit anytime soon: MAX (Discovery), Paramount+ (CBS, Viacom, Showtime), Starz (Lionsgate).​
Not in the game: Sony.​

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Maybe reel-to-reel filmstrips will come back for Disney films?
1703194025704.png

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Interesting. I saw on a site we dare not name that a certain person believes the reigns are going to eventually be handed over to Staggs and Mayer after bringing them back as ESPN consultants. The thinking is that they would function as more of a duo akin to Eisner and Wells. The gossip about all of this will be fascinating to follow until it eventually happens.
So one rumor says Staggs, another Walden.

So... we know nothing.

_caleb

Indeed we have.

Behold... The Streaming Wars. In which a company is trying to make their streaming service to be profitable. We have...

Making profit: Netflix and Hulu​
Not making profit but has deep pockets from their daddy corporation to be a loss leader for years to come: Apple+, Prime, Peacock, and Disney+.​
  • Although, Disney+ is on track to become profitable within this fiscal year.
  • Comcast isn't very happy with Peacock being far from winning the Streaming Wars and is getting antsy supporting it.
Not making profit, no deep pockets, and not likely to profit anytime soon: MAX (Discovery), Paramount+ (CBS, Viacom, Showtime), Starz (Lionsgate).​
Not in the game: Sony.​
A very good summary, in my opinion!

In their own small way, I think Sony is in the streaming game, just with a different approach. They're trying to leverage the fact that there are 117.2M Playstation 4s and over 50M Playstation 5s out there, and they have millions of younger customers trained to pay $60/each for video games. They've tried to make their Sony Pictures Core service a thing. This makes sense, as they're bridging their profitable gaming business (hardware and software) with their film studio content, which is increasingly looking to games for inspiration (Spider-Man, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, etc.)

Currently, SPC is more like old-school iTunes Movies, where you can rent or purchase digital content, and they're still strategically licensing out content to other to Netflix, Hulu/D+, Max. But with their films and series, Sony LIV (OTT in India), Crunchyroll (Sony's library of anime), and their understanding of gaming habits, I see them as something of a sleeper in the streaming wars.

Dranth

A very good summary, in my opinion!

In their own small way, I think Sony is in the streaming game, just with a different approach. They're trying to leverage the fact that there are 117.2M Playstation 4s and over 50M Playstation 5s out there, and they have millions of younger customers trained to pay $60/each for video games. They've tried to make their Sony Pictures Core service a thing. This makes sense, as they're bridging their profitable gaming business (hardware and software) with their film studio content, which is increasingly looking to games for inspiration (Spider-Man, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, etc.)

Currently, SPC is more like old-school iTunes Movies, where you can rent or purchase digital content, and they're still strategically licensing out content to other to Netflix, Hulu/D+, Max. But with their films and series, Sony LIV (OTT in India), Crunchyroll (Sony's library of anime), and their understanding of gaming habits, I see them as something of a sleeper in the streaming wars.
Don't think much of their approach with users losing access to TV and movies they paid to own.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
New statement from Disney.

"The Walt Disney Company confirmed today that Blackwells Capital LLC, together with its affiliates (collectively, “Blackwells”), has provided notice of its intent to nominate three individuals for election to the Company’s Board of Directors at the 2024 Annual Meeting of Shareholders.

Disney has an experienced, diverse, and highly qualified Board that is focused on the long-term performance of the company, strategic growth initiatives including the ongoing transformation of its businesses, the succession planning process, and increasing shareholder value.

The Governance and Nominating Committee, which evaluates director nominations, will review the proposed Blackwells nominees and provide a recommendation to the Board as part of its governance process.

The Company expects to file preliminary materials with respect to the 2024 Annual Meeting of Shareholders with the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), which will include the Board’s recommended slate of director nominees. Disney shareholders are not required to take any action at this time."

Adding an article from Reuters with more details.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom