News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What other ideas besides Meet-and-Greets? Surely there must be something! Give me some reason to oppose him!

Homogenization of parks merchandise to be under the "Disney Parks" umbrella. Gift shops everywhere. Removal of even the most trivial of things, location-branded napkins. He came from Strategic Planning and was CFO after his reign of terror as head of parks - He was nothing but an accountant running theme parks. The *only* thing I can give him credit for are the Dream and the Fantasy.

Want more? https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/why-the-hatred-towards-meg-crofton-and-jay-rasulo.152148/

(Note - there are some long lost posters in that thread, including at least one former WDI person and another I, and many others, miss immensely around here)

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Snapchat-2088958423.jpg

ToTBellHop

Homogenization of parks merchandise to be under the "Disney Parks" umbrella. Gift shops everywhere. Removal of even the most trivial of things, location-branded napkins. He came from Strategic Planning and was CFO after his reign of terror as head of parks - He was nothing but an accountant running theme parks. The *only* thing I can give him credit for are the Dream and the Fantasy.

Want more? https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/why-the-hatred-towards-meg-crofton-and-jay-rasulo.152148/

(Note - there are some long lost posters in that thread, including at least one former WDI person and another I, and many others, miss immensely around here)
About the only parks addition he announced was New Fantasyland. The version with Mermaid and meet and greets. Nothing else. Otherwise, DVCs like BLT and Kidani. In five years.

Staggs added 7DMT. Modest, but an improvement. More recent parks heads have approved Pandora, TSL, SWGE, MMRR, Rat, Guardians, TRON. We can argue over quality, but there is a clear willingness to add. Obviously, Iger has to approve but we have a current parks head who does push for additions. Rasulo pushed for savings.

ryno1982

What other ideas besides Meet-and-Greets? Surely there must be something! Give me some reason to oppose him!
Compared to Pressler he was well-liked when he started. Disneyland left the dark ages and started its refurbishments, but a lot of that was Matt Ouimet. The happiest celebration on Earth, with WDW getting Soarin', LMA, and Cinderellabration happened under him, but people were generally confused why WDW was getting more than DL for their 50th. I think people turned against him during the whole Disney Parks: Where Dreams Come True homogenization, and the Year of a Million Dreams. The misplaced IP attractions like Seas at Epcot and Monsters Inc in Tomorrowland started under his tenure as well, but that was also the beginning of Iger so it's hard to say who is really to blame. And like others have said the original new Fantasyland with the two additional meet n greets and the pixie hollow area. DCA's redo was also announced while he was parks chairman.

MerlinTheGoat

About the only parks addition he announced was New Fantasyland. The version with Mermaid and meet and greets. Nothing else. Otherwise, DVCs like BLT and Kidani. In five years.

Staggs added 7DMT. Modest, but an improvement. More recent parks heads have approved Pandora, TSL, SWGE, MMRR, Rat, Guardians, TRON. We can argue over quality, but there is a clear willingness to add. Obviously, Iger has to approve but we have a current parks head who does push for additions. Rasulo pushed for savings.
Staggs' revised New Fantasyland lost us the original Snow White ride though (and yes I do sorely miss that one), with the meet and greets going in there instead. So that still ended up being a pretty iffy trade-off. Everyone kind of sucks...

CJR

Staggs' revised New Fantasyland lost us the original Snow White ride though (and yes I do sorely miss that one), with the meet and greets going in there instead. So that still ended up being a pretty iffy trade-off. Everyone kind of sucks...

I liked the dark ride, but SDMT is definitely the stronger attraction at least. I do wish they would put a new dark ride in that space though. My understanding is that nothing in the building would prohibit it today. The question is more of what IP to use, there's a lot of options between recent and old.

In the Parks
No

VERY HELPFUL! Ok, yeah sounds like Rasulo is...um, just like Iger, and Chapek, and everyone who's been in charge of things at Disney for a long time. So I don't get his sudden change of heart about type of company Disney has become. It's basically the same as what it was when he was there.

Reading that thread was fascinating...it's like a time machine! And people thought the company was in bad shape back then, too! I was a carefree little fourth grader who thought Disney could do no wrong. But now without the rose-colored glasses of my youth, it's pretty clear that Rasulo is not going to get us the Disney we want.

I have to wonder though, when on this forum was there optimism about this company?

Things are looking mighty bleak.

Stripes

Wasn’t Rasulo involved with green lighting the DCA transformation while in the throes of the recession though?

I think that would be a nice feather in his cap.

Tha Realest

I wasn’t following things closely during that era, but the Aughts, what with 9/11, housing bubble bust (2005) and the Great Recession (2007-‘09) wasn’t exactly boom times

Indy_UK

I’m no fan of Iger (and certainly wasn’t of Chapek) but Rasulo? Just when you thought bad trash was truly gone, he’s showing up again

wdwfan4ver

To be fair, DCA’s redo was quite a big investment.
It is, but I believe he was involved in one the biggest theme park screw ups ever in someway.

I am referring to Disney dropping the ball with Harry Potter. The fact is J.K. Rowling was working with Disney before Universal in terms of getting Harry Potter in a theme park. I think we all know the impact Harry Potter did for Universal Worldwide considering a lot of what Universal has been doing is due to the chain effect of Harry Potter being so profitable.

J.K. Rowling signed a letter of intent with Disney in 2004, but that that deal was terminated due to J.K. Rowling didn't like the presentation of a Harry Potter Land Disney did for her. What I am referring to is 2 small themed rides and a restaurant that was barely themed to Harry Potter. What I mentioned is pathetic from the Disney side of things considering how detailed Hogsmeade is. I said Hogsmeade instead of Diagon Alley because the original Universal Studios plans was only having Hogsmeade for IOA and Diagon Alley being built was due to the success of Hogsmeade.

The only question here is how much is Rasulo involved in that major screw up because Rasulo is capable of being very cheap.

JoeCamel

It is, but I believe he was involved in one the biggest theme park screw ups ever in someway.

I am referring to Disney dropping the ball with Harry Potter. The fact is J.K. Rowling was working with Disney before Universal in terms of getting Harry Potter in a theme park. I think we all know the impact Harry Potter did for Universal Worldwide considering a lot of what Universal has been doing is due to the chain effect of Harry Potter being so profitable.

J.K. Rowling signed a letter of intent with Disney in 2004, but that that deal was terminated due to J.K. Rowling didn't like the presentation of a Harry Potter Land Disney did for her. What I am referring to is 2 small themed rides and a restaurant that was barely themed to Harry Potter. What I mentioned is pathetic from the Disney side of things considering how detailed Hogsmeade is. I said Hogsmeade instead of Diagon Alley because the original Universal Studios plans was only having Hogsmeade for IOA and Diagon Alley being built was due to the success of Hogsmeade.

The only question here is how much is Rasulo involved in that major screw up because Rasulo is capable of being very cheap.
It wasn't a screwup just that she went to the wrong people in the first place, they would never build her vision only what they felt was correct for them and that wasn't potter so she found someone who would. Like two personalities that are at odds over vision (many posters here....) they never would have been able to reach a consensus.

HMF

It wasn't a screwup just that she went to the wrong people in the first place, they would never build her vision only what they felt was correct for them and that wasn't potter so she found someone who would. Like two personalities that are at odds over vision (many posters here....) they never would have been able to reach a consensus.
Never mind the fact that working with JKR could be seen as a liability now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom