The Universal Rumors thread

disney fan 13

Original Poster
Until they force it down everyone's throats and people get sick of it... Has happened before... And with Disney being terrible at marketing anything but princesses, well.... Don't count those dollar signs just yet... Sure Episode 7 will be fine, but what happens with Star Wars hang over? What happens when it is forces with 2 or three movies a year??? Yea, a tired public... So, yes, there is a discussion to be had...

I'd say that a movie every year would be extreme overkill, one every two years would be just right. (along with a kick@$$ TV show of course.)

Though, I love Star Wars, so I'd go see them all...

Captain Chaos

If Zack Snyder is still rumored to be doing a stand alone ... well that could kill it.
I'm trying to remember if I liked anything Zack Snyder did LOL... Like I said, JJ is a good choice, I am a fan... I am cautiously optimistic about Episode 7... I know it will do very well, and people are fooling themselves otherwise... But, we do not know anything of the story yet.. We have no clue who will be in it, or the characters... Like I said, cautiously optimistic... Hoping for something great... But I refuse to classify it automatically as great just because it has the Star Wars name on it, and this is coming from a huge Star Wars fan... My fear is the future... over kill... Too much of a good thing is not always going to end good... And Disney is good for killing things before they get out of the box...

Captain Chaos

I'd say that a movie every year would be extreme overkill, one every two years would be just right. (along with a kick@$$ TV show of course.)

Though, I love Star Wars, so I'd go see them all...

1 every two years is ideal and perfect actually... But they are planning what 2 or 3 a year? Marvel is going to suffer the same outcome soon with 2 to 3 Marvel movies a year... People will grow tired of it... Over kill is NOT a good thing..

OFTeric

Well fortunately they built a knock out ride and land that transcends the films/books ... I am no Potter fan at all but I spend a TON of time in that land and if Diagon Alley is anything close, forget it ... I'm there for the long haul.

I echo this. I never was into the books or the movies. But gosh darn it I am into the WWOHP. And I can't wait to have more!

TalkingHead

I'm surprised how much love there is for JJ Abrams. Not one of his films has struck me as really good. I liked the first half of Super 8, but thought it had a very disappointing last act. I found his first Star Trek to be just another forgettable action film.

I'll give him this: he's mastered the art of promotional hype. But I can't say any of his films has delivered on the hype.

Having said that, Episode 7 will probably sink or swim based on the strength of the story. Star Wars films have never been directors' showcases. (Although I would've loved to have seen David Lynch's Return of the Jedi!)

However, along with Marvel and Pirates, I expect Disney to dilute the Star Wars brand so that they are no longer event films but run-of-the-mill popcorn movies.

TalkingHead

I don't think JJ is the second coming but he's light years better than the prequels.

Disney can't possibly kill the franchise anymore than Lucas did ...

Which really says more about the quality of the prequels than JJ's directorial chops.

I belong to the generation that got really excited for the Phantom Menace.

And that was pretty much the end of my Star Wars fandom.

Captain Chaos

Which really says more about the quality of the prequels than JJ's directorial chops.

Out the the prequels, Attack of the Clones was the weakest to me.. Phantom Menace, I thought, set up young Anakin just right... Revenge of the Sith knocked it out of the park to me... my favorite of the three... Well until the NOOOOOO scene anyway LOL... I didn't care for the love story in Attack of the Clones, but it was a necessary evil I guess... just could have done with a lot less of it...

as for JJ Abrams:

Fringe
Cloverfield
LOST
Mission Impossible III
Mission Impossible Ghost Protocal
Joy Ride
Armageddon

All his work... And all pretty good... Wrote for Alias and several other TV shows... Alcatraz was his too, I liked the show, too bad I was in the minority... He also produced Revolution which is a hit on NBC..

misterID

I loved the city aspect of Kongfrontation. Talk about immersive. Those were great set pieces. Hopefuly something similar will be in the new KONG.

ParentsOf4

Ah, the youth don't know what they missed ...;)

Since you mentioned The Phantom Menace opening, I just have to share my story about the original Star Wars opening.

I remember being dragged to an opening day (not the opening day, May 25, 1977, which was only a limited engagement) at my local theater 10 AM showing of Star Wars by my brother-in-law (a Sci Fi fanatic). I said no one goes to a movie at 10 in the morning, didn't even know they showed movies at 10 AM. My brother-in-law told me I didn't understand, this was a special showing. He said this movie was going to be big, really big. There were maybe 20-30 people in the theater.

The opening music was cool, I was absolutely wowed by the size of the first Star Destroyer, but what was it with all these robots. Where are the people? I didn't even begin to warm up the movie until Luke finally appeared on the screen.

We stayed for 3 showings that day. Even in the days before cell phones, word-of-mouth got out quickly. I remember people on pay phones (remember those?) calling their friends to come to the movie. The last showing we stayed for was packed.

I've never attended another movie showing that could ever touch the "magic" of that first day. Those who have grown up in the post Star Wars era can't really fathom what it was like, especially in the early to mid 1970s, when movies (except Disney movies which really stunk in the 1970s) were targeted for an adult audience and nearly always were depressing to watch. (Just think Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Three Days of the Condor, etc.) Even early blockbusters (e.g. Jaws and Rocky) were cerebral, lots of gritty dialog targeted for mature audiences.

Star Wars completely changed the movie going experience. At the time, it felt like all other movies before it lacked the one thing Star Wars had an abundance of; joy.

Star Wars was the first "fun" movie I ever watched. It's a feeling that's impossible to explain to those who did not experience the 1970s and did not see Star Wars during its initial run.

After that experience, you pretty much remain a Star Wars fan forever.:)

TalkingHead

Those who have grown up in the post Star Wars era can't really fathom what it was like, especially in the early to mid 1970s, when movies (except Disney movies which really stunk in the 1970s) were targeted for an adult audience and nearly always were depressing to watch. (Just think Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Three Days of the Condor, etc.) Even early blockbusters (e.g. Jaws and Rocky) were cerebral, lots of gritty dialog targeted for mature audiences.

Star Wars completely changed the movie going experience. At the time, it felt like all other movies before then lacked the one thing Star Wars had an abundance of; joy.

Gosh, when you put it that way, it makes it sound like Star Wars is responsible for the safe, boring Hollywood we know today!

Actually, that's a great story. I'm sure that's the kind of thing that would make you a life-long fan. I remember seeing the OT Special Editions in the theaters in the 90s before Phantom Menace and that was exciting, too.

Having said that, I doubt I'd pay to see the OT in 3D when they're released.

Captain Chaos

Gosh, when you put it that way, it makes it sound like Star Wars is responsible for the safe, boring Hollywood we know today!

Actually, that's a great story. I'm sure that's the kind of thing that would make you a life-long fan. I remember seeing the OT Special Editions in the theaters in the 90s before Phantom Menace and that was exciting, too.

Wasn't Phantom Menace already out in 3D? or did I dream that it bombed in 3D release?

truecoat

1 every two years is ideal and perfect actually... But they are planning what 2 or 3 a year? Marvel is going to suffer the same outcome soon with 2 to 3 Marvel movies a year... People will grow tired of it... Over kill is NOT a good thing..

The plan is 1 every year. 7 in 2015, stand alone 2016, 8 2017 etc etc.

truecoat

I don't think JJ is the second coming but he's light years better than the prequels.

Disney can't possibly kill the franchise anymore than Lucas did ...

I agree about Abrams. I've liked his movies so far but felt better about him directing Star Wars after the latest Star Trek. I was surprised on my reaction of how much I liked it considering I almost didn't go see it. The trailer didn't do anything for me at all.

truecoat

After seeing Star Wars as a kid, I didn't want to see any other movie. It ran for a year in the theaters, so every time my parents wanted to go to the movies, I wanted to see Star Wars. Ahhh, to be 12 again.

bubbles1812

Potter is no where at the levels of hysteria as it once was. Books are done, movies are done, excitement leveled off. Star Wars on the other hand is just getting started. :)
Unless of course, the new SW movies go the way of the prequel trilogy... Granted, at least Lucas isn't going to be writing these ones, but there isn't any guarantee. And neither is an substantial expansion, or really any expansion. You obviously love SW and that's fine, but you are essentially implying there isn't a market for HP anymore, which isn't true. New kids are introduced to it every day and the love of the series is being passed on. A fandom doesn't require "mania" to live on, or necessarily even new material... Otherwise SW would have gone out of favor long ago considering the time between the movies. Lord of the Rings would have gone out of favor, Chronicles of Narnia, the list goes on. What you imply is just silly.

bubbles1812

The plan is 1 every year. 7 in 2015, stand alone 2016, 8 2017 etc etc.
That is quite a lot. I actually do like SW (original more than prequel by a long shot but prequels I can watch), but it's just a lot. If the movies aren't very good, I would say SW fatigue is a very real concern they should have, especially with the stand-alone.

truecoat

That is quite a lot. I actually do like SW (original more than prequel by a long shot but prequels I can watch), but it's just a lot. If the movies aren't very good, I would say SW fatigue is a very real concern they should have, especially with the stand-alone.

I think it's just fine. I'd love to know I can see a Star Wars movie every year. Since this is their only movie product being worked on and they have some very talented writers already attached, I have faith. Marvel has put a couple movies out a year and they have a pretty decent track record. I think the new Lucasfilm can handle one movie a year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom