The Talk, News, Rumors, About Phase 3

Sped2424

My guess is that area is being earmarked for Star Wars expansion in the future -- a similar plot in a similar location is set aside in DL for SW future development.

Granted, that's a pretty sizeable area that could fit a new land, but the guest flow would be pretty tough as it would be essentially a dead end without significant changes to the east (in the area of SoA).
That future Dev spot is for the fantasyland expansion at DL.

Sped2424

I was lead to belief that Frozen was to take up the Toon Town slot and the extra space is indeed from SWL future development....plans can change I guess
That spot is right next to toon town! Frozen is only eating up part of toon town leaving Roger rabbit safe. The are with gadgets go coaster is the area dying.

Progress.City

Maybe they should buy the rights to Sega video games and build a Segaland to compete with UFO's third gate which is under development and is rumored to be themed to Nintendo because Universal recently bought the theme park rights to the Nintendo games titles.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Maybe they should buy the rights to Sega video games and build a Segaland to compete with UFO's third gate which is under development and is rumored to be themed to Nintendo because Universal recently bought the theme park rights to the Nintendo games titles.

I'm still not a strong believer even Nintendo is all that fabulous. Its popularity is trending downward

Maybe Disney should go after Lego? :D

Progress.City

I'm still not a strong believer even Nintendo is all that fabulous. Its popularity is trending downward

No, even though I'm not a big video game player myself, I saw a documentary on Netflix about the industry and I'm convinced that there's a future in video game IP licenses. The game companies are looking more and more like film studios. A convergence will happen. Video games "studios" will be just like film studios except it's interactive. Video game production will mirror film productions, with big name music and acting talents, and big budgets to match. It only makes sense to take the video game experience to the next level - as theme park rides and attractions. In a way, it's already happening. Just look at Buzz Light Year, Toy Story Mania, and Men in Black at universal. The future is more immersive ride experiences and interactive controllability.

Now that I'm thinking about it, WDW already had the infrastructure for this in place in the form of MM+, which could easily act as a leaderboard, keeping track of scores, identifying each guest's personalized interaction with game/rides. If that's the real purpose of MM+, then the people who thought of this strategy are pretty darn smart by telling the public at large a totally different rationale for it.

THECARISMINE

The new head of Nintendo is changing the game. They have plans to milk their IPs like never before in the next few years. If you've ever been to our Nintendo World here in New York since they've remodeled it into Nintendo New York you'll understand just how powerful their fanbase still is over here. It's actual insanity when they have events, I know people who have waited over 10 hours just to enter the store and their last pokemon event had people flying in only to get turned away because of capacity... for a store. They are building a Nintendoland right now over in Japan's Universal, I imagine it's success will determine if any elements get exported overseas. I wouldn't underestimate them.

jhendrix

Video game production will mirror film productions, with big name music and acting talents, and big budgets to match. It only makes sense to take the video game experience to the next level - as theme park rides and attractions. In a way, it's already happening. Just look at Buzz Light Year, Toy Story Mania, and Men in Black at universal. The future is more immersive ride experiences and interactive controllability.

Cedar Fair is so far the first amusement company to make the jump into video game rides.
http://www.latimes.com/travel/theme...lants-zombies-mass-effect-20160121-story.html

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is the future. Disney could either embrace it now or be a late player. Is this company an innovator or a reactionary one?
Are you talking about video games as the IP for rides or the ride tech itself? The plants vs zombies ride in the referenced article looks similar to TSMM. A shooter game with 3D screens. Based on the description it seems like maybe the seats have some motion as well but still pretty similar. I always enjoyed the concept of an interactive ride that has a scoring element to it. Compete against friends, family and your own personal scores. Even though it's dated I still like playing Buzz in MK. I'd love for Disney to make more of these type of rides. They are a lot of fun.

Video games as the IP for rides isn't likely to happen any time soon at Disney. They are pretty much out of the video game business other than some app games and licensing their IP.

Pam Hates Penguins

Original Poster
Are you talking about video games as the IP for rides or the ride tech itself? The plants vs zombies ride in the referenced article looks similar to TSMM. A shooter game with 3D screens. Based on the description it seems like maybe the seats have some motion as well but still pretty similar. I always enjoyed the concept of an interactive ride that has a scoring element to it. Compete against friends, family and your own personal scores. Even though it's dated I still like playing Buzz in MK. I'd love for Disney to make more of these type of rides. They are a lot of fun.

Video games as the IP for rides isn't likely to happen any time soon at Disney. They are pretty much out of the video game business other than some app games and licensing their IP.

What does that have to do with phase 3?

Pam Hates Penguins

Original Poster
My guess is that area is being earmarked for Star Wars expansion in the future -- a similar plot in a similar location is set aside in DL for SW future development.

Granted, that's a pretty sizeable area that could fit a new land, but the guest flow would be pretty tough as it would be essentially a dead end without significant changes to the east (in the area of SoA).

It would be like ToonTown (Disneyland version) all over again.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Disney already has a relationship with Sony. (The agreement to use Spider Man in the MCU.) If they were serious about a video game presence, they could probably work something out for Playstation IPs and benefit both companies.

Next Big Thing

Disney already has a relationship with Sony. (The agreement to use Spider Man in the MCU.) If they were serious about a video game presence, they could probably work something out for Playstation IPs and benefit both companies.
Something based on Uncharted or The Last of Us would be amazing. Uncharted would be slightly redundant though seeing as they have the Indy rights. I see Uncharted as more of a Universal thing.

FigmentJedi

Because that's what Disney needs, faux Indiana Jones, an obese Princess, cartoon animal IPs that haven't been relevant in years, and a cyborg from a Objectivist futuristic city gone wrong

257078-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

Sega has similar problems in that as far as America's concerned, they're coasting on what little goodwill Sonic the Hedgehog still has.

Universal getting the Nintendo rights is the biggest coup as far as video games in parks go. Even with the decline in system sales, those characters are still what the larger culture thinks of when it comes to video games outside Mobile Flavors of the Month.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom