The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

imagineer boy

I won't despair about Disney. I think that once the younger and more idealistic millennials (especially those who grew up with the decidedly un-mediocre media of the 90s) begin to enter the corporate world, then things will change for the better.

lazyboy97o

Why does it even need a story? It's a shopping center. Guess Imagineering is just desperate to show off something for Disney World and since no rides are currently under construction, here we are.
Because they need something to hype. This is also part of why projects coming out of Walt Disney Imagineering cost so much. They paid people to develop a convoluted story that really means nothing since it will have no impact on content. Its a ridiculous way to justify their aesthetic choices.

imagineer boy

Because they need something to hype. This is also part of why projects coming out of Walt Disney Imagineering cost so much. They paid people to develop a convoluted story that really means nothing since it will have no impact on content. Its a ridiculous way to justify their aesthetic choices.

Agreed. I think WDI has really overused the literal back story concept. Not everything has to have a detailed and plausible back story. It just gets too annoying and convolted. Sometimes metaphorical and abstract narratives or "stories" can work a lot better. Sometimes you really don't need the usual "this place was built by *insert character who's name is a pun here* who one day got hit in the head with a coconut, hence why the ride is so sucky to this very day. And now you are the new recruits who need to help him capture the golblins!" back story. Sometimes it works very well when used properly (like AE). But I think most attractions don't need them. Haunted Mansion's backstory for example has never been set in stone (and has been made up by years and years of fan theories) and there is not convulted backstory for why us tourists are showing up at a haunted house in the first place (you're not labeled "ghost sighting recruits or any of that nonsense).

lazyboy97o

Agreed. I think WDI has really overused the literal back story concept. Not everything has to have a detailed and plausible back story. It just gets too annoying and convolted. Sometimes metaphorical and abstract narratives or "stories" can work a lot better. Sometimes you really don't need the usual "this place was built by *insert character who's name is a pun here* who one day got hit in the head with a coconut, hence why the ride is so sucky to this very day. And now you are the new recruits who need to help him capture the golblins!" back story. Sometimes it works very well when used properly (like AE). But I think most attractions don't need them. Haunted Mansion's backstory for example has never been set in stone (and has been made up by years and years of fan theories) and there is not convulted backstory for why us tourists are showing up at a haunted house in the first place (you're not labeled "ghost sighting recruits or any of that nonsense).
My bigger problem with the backstory for Disney Springs is that it is self negating. A backstory is to set up an environment by providing a foundation that can inform every aspect of design. Despite what a good many Disney fans like to say, strong fictional environments are grounded by rules and the backstory is the foundation for those rules. In Disney Springs it is all there to justify a contemporary setting that is far too open ended and almost anything will fit, the limits having more to do with traditional mall restrictions (giving tenants a level of exclusivity, nothing too alienating to a wide demographic, etc.)

RSoxNo1

@WDW1974

How much of Miceage's new article is true? The construction delays in Shanghai, pushing the opening back to possibly Summer 2016?

Resort opening in phases?

Namely- this??

I'd really appreciate your input... as I tend to trust you (and your fab sense of style) a bit more than Miceage/micechat....
A few potential Disney World updates coming from this:
  • Epcot's Soarin' Over the World update could be announced at the Disneyland event
  • Muppet*Vision 3-D updates could be going to DHS

imagineer boy

My bigger problem with the backstory for Disney Springs is that it is self negating. A backstory is to set up an environment by providing a foundation that can inform every aspect of design. Despite what a good many Disney fans like to say, strong fictional environments are grounded by rules and the backstory is the foundation for those rules. In Disney Springs it is all there to justify a contemporary setting that is far too open ended and almost anything will fit, the limits having more to do with traditional mall restrictions (giving tenants a level of exclusivity, nothing too alienating to a wide demographic, etc.)

True. And why would a bunch of 1800s settlers named their little town DISNEY Springs anyways? lol

Plus I love the imagineer in the video. Its clear that even he doesn't believe what he's saying.

Mike S

True. And why would a bunch of 1800s settlers named their little town DISNEY Springs anyways? lol

Plus I love the imagineer in the video. Its clear that even he doesn't believe what he's saying.
Maybe Walt's father or grandfather were one the settlers? Screw history, they never lived in Missouri, they were in Florida!!!!! And Walt had a hand in designing all four of our parks as well!!!!!
Elias Disney did marry Walt's mother in Florida while trying to be a citrus farmer. Maybe they can try to link them to the project.
Beat me to it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom