The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Mike S

Disneyland Parc = France
Tokyo Disneyland = Tokyo
Shanghai Disneyland Park = Shanghai
Hong Kong Disneyland Park = Hong Kong

Hrm...they all feature one common thread. The name...Disneyland.

As far as using DLR...

Hong Kong DIsneyland Resort = Hong Kong
Shanghai Disney Resort = Shanghai
Tokyo DIsney Resort = Tokyo
Disneyland Resort Paris = France

The simple fact that there is at least ONE other location that uses the term Disneyland as a registered trademark (and there are more, as illustrated) begs for differentiation for clarity when discussing the subject. Regardless of what is popular or not.

It is Disneyland California. It's the original, it's the best, and I certainly wouldn't say it's not the one and only "Disneyland" in the eyes and minds of fans. But, it is not the only Disneyland.

There is, currently, only one WDW and only one Magic Kingdom, however, so the clarification in acronym need not exist.
Here's what I use:
DL/DLR=the original in California.
TDL/TDR=Tokyo
DLP=Paris
HKDL=Hong Kong
SDL=Shanghai

There may be more than one park with "Disneyland" in the name, but the original is the only one with ONLY Disneyland as its official name. The others have their location added to the name to not confuse them with the original. Everyone here accepts this way of understanding it except you it seems so I don't get what confusion you're trying to avoid, you're only creating it. This is not an attack btw.
But they all have already well used short names.

like DLP for disney land Paris.
DSEA for disney sea at Japan.

etc..etc.. :cautious:

Almost seems like the people in here are confusing things too much.
I use TDS for Tokyo DisneySea. Never seen anyone use DSEA before.........

lazyboy97o

Disneyland Parc = France
Tokyo Disneyland = Disneyland
Shanghai Disneyland Park = Shanghai
Hong Kong Disneyland Park = Hong Kong

Hrm...they all feature one common thread. The name...Disneyland.

As far as using DLR...

Hong Kong DIsneyland Resort = Hong Kong
Shanghai Disney Resort = Shanghai
Tokyo DIsney Resort = Tokyo
Disneyland Resort Paris = France

The simple fact that there is at least ONE other location that uses the term Disneyland as a registered trademark (and there are more, as illustrated) begs for differentiation for clarity when discussing the subject. Regardless of what is popular or not.

It is Disneyland California. It's the original, it's the best, and I certainly wouldn't say it's not the one and only "Disneyland" in the eyes and minds of fans. But, it is not the only Disneyland.

There is, currently, only one WDW and only one Magic Kingdom, however, so the clarification in acronym need not exist.
"Disneyland California" is a term you created, and is therefore not something you can dictate as being. Disneyland, USA has been used to denote the park and there is even the seldom seen Disneyland Resort in California, but no Disneyland California. There is only one other park officially named Disneyland but there is no confusion because that name is not widely used. Even you got the French full name backwards and the name of the Resort wrong, because of the common usage. The Asian parks all include the location as part of the official name and that is not shortened by official materials, even in the local area or within the resort. Tokyo Disney Resort is so committed to the Tokyo Disney branding they even named their second park Tokyo DisneySEA despite the Long Beach park having long since been abandoned.

There may be more than one park with "Disneyland" in the name, but the original is the only one with ONLY Disneyland as its official name. The others have their location added to the name to not confuse them with the original. Everyone here accepts this way of understanding it except you it seems so I don't get what confusion you're trying to avoid, you're only creating it. This is not an attack btw.
No, there are two parks known officially as Disneyland, the Magic Kingdoms at the Disneyland Resort and Disneyland Paris.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Here's what I use:
DL/DLR=the original in California.
TDL/TDR=Tokyo
DLP=Paris
HKDL=Hong Kong
SDL=Shanghai

I use TDS for Tokyo DisneySea. Never seen anyone use DSEA before.........
Incorrect. "Disneyland" is the registered trademark for DLP, not "Disneyland Paris", for example. And, once again, the existence of at least one other instance requires clarification by definition.

Again, pretty much anyone and everyone who has chatted about the California park with me knows I use DLC to refer to the California Park. Most make an issue of it, and I've been down this road before, and frankly, don't care. I have my reasons, I have explained them, I won't change them, and frankly it does nothing to impact the content or commentary I make.

Also, not an attack (I don't take any of this personally).

That being said, I use TDS as well for DisneySEA.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
"Disneyland California" is a term you created, and is therefore not something you can dictate as being. Disneyland, USA has been used to denote the park and there is even the seldom seen Disneyland Resort in California, but no Disneyland California. There is only one other park officially named Disneyland but there is no confusion because that name is not widely used. Even you got the French full name backwards and the name of the Resort wrong, because of the common usage. The Asian parks all include the location as part of the official name and that is not shortened by official materials, even in the local area or within the resort. Tokyo Disney Resort is so committed to the Tokyo Disney branding they even named their second park Tokyo DisneySEA despite the Long Beach park having long since been abandoned.

No, there are two parks known officially as Disneyland, the Magic Kingdoms at the Disneyland Resort and Disneyland Paris.
It isn't "Disneyland California". It is "Disneyland", California. I didn't make it up. It's indicative of where this specific Disneyland I am referring to exists geographically, as opposed to (as you pointed out) "Disneyland", Paris, France.

As I stated before, the fact that there exists a duplicate requires, for the sake of clarity, definition.

Californian Elitist

Here we go with this "DLC" argument again.

"Disneyland California" doesn't exist. Those who use it are simply ignorant, specifically ignorant of the fact that there is only one Disney park in the world by the name of Disneyland, for the most part. Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland don't have the same names, as one can see. If anything, Disneyland Park is acceptable, since the two parks and DtD in California as one is referred to as Disneyland. There is no need to add "California" to the name, it is the first.

Ignorance, ignorance, ignorance. I HATE that silly acronym.

lazyboy97o

It isn't "Disneyland California". It is "Disneyland", California. I didn't make it up. It's indicative of where this specific Disneyland I am referring to exists geographically, as opposed to (as you pointed out) "Disneyland", Paris, France.

As I stated before, the fact that there exists a duplicate requires, for the sake of clarity, definition.
Context and common usage create the clarification. The term Disneyland to refer to the park at Disneyland Paris is almost never used except by Disney. The issues of nomenclature are uniquely caused by Euro Disney SCA and their revolving door of names where Disneyland Paris once was the park, and once was and now is the resort. The same being true of the Euro Disneyland and Euro Disneyland Paris names which were also historically used as official names for the park and resort. That is why people have just stuck with Euro Disneyland or Disneyland Paris to refer to the park and Euro Disney or Disneyland Resort Paris to refer to the resort, since there is a good chance it'll be something different tomorrow. That this discussion recurs shows that you have failed to create clarification.

"Disneyland California" doesn't exist. Those who use it are simply ignorant, specifically ignorant of the fact that there is only one Disney park in the world by the name of Disneyland, for the most part. Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland don't have the same names, as one can see. If anything, Disneyland Park is acceptable, since the two parks and DtD in California as one is referred to as Disneyland. There is no need to add "California" to the name, it is the first.

There is no park presently named Disneyland Paris...

Furiated

Incorrect. "Disneyland" is the registered trademark for DLP, not "Disneyland Paris", for example. And, once again, the existence of at least one other instance requires clarification by definition.

Again, pretty much anyone and everyone who has chatted about the California park with me knows I use DLC to refer to the California Park. Most make an issue of it, and I've been down this road before, and frankly, don't care. I have my reasons, I have explained them, I won't change them, and frankly it does nothing to impact the content or commentary I make.

Also, not an attack (I don't take any of this personally).

That being said, I use TDS as well for DisneySEA.

I enjoy you as a poster so please don't take this as an attack but I'm just curious, why do you insist on continuing to use DLC? It's been pointed out by numerous people that it's not really correct and nobody uses that acronym for the park. You said you are doing it for clarification but it seems like it's just confusing and/or annoying people. You may as well use DLO for Disneyland Original, it would be just as correct/incorrect as DLC.

Also, as Dave pointed out, gamers like myself see DLC and think DownLoadable Content. Same issue I have with NFL as the acronym for New Fantasyland, that acronym is already used for something :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Once again, incorrect.

The Paris park's official name is "Disneyland". That is their registered trademark and the name they use repeatedly (note where the registration mark lay, it isn't after Paris) in their materials. The fact that Paris is included is indicative of this use. There is only one Disneyland CALIFORNIA, but there is more than one Disneyland.

Hence clarification, not ignorance. Why it should stick in your craw so much confounds me, but I know you and I have had this run around debate before.

Furthermore, common vernacular dictates it. Fly to Middlesex and say you are going to Disneyland, and they'll likely assume Paris. Fly to Melbourne and say you are going to Disneyland and they'll likely assume Hong Kong.

Fly anywhere in the world and say you are going to Disneyworld, and they'll only associate that with Florida.

Mike S

Guess I've been reading this site too long and always seeing people refer to it as "Disneyland Paris". I actually thought I read about it just being "Disneyland" after I typed my response but didn't change it. I still think there's no problem with the names since the fan community seems to widely only use "Disneyland" when referring to the park in California. I guess "Disneyland Paris" has become the unofficial name for that park. Maybe it should be changed to be the official name, would definitely make sense.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I enjoy you as a poster so please don't take this as an attack but I'm just curious, why do you insist on continuing to use DLC? It's been pointed out by numerous people that it's not really correct and nobody uses that acronym for the park. You said you are doing it for clarification but it seems like it's just confusing and/or annoying people. You may as well use DLO for Disneyland Original, it would be just as correct/incorrect as DLC.

Also, as Dave pointed out, gamers like myself see DLC and think DownLoadable Content. Same issue I have with NFL as the acronym for New Fantasyland, that acronym is already used for something :)
I don't insist. It just comes naturally to clarify which park I am speaking about specifically, and I've used it for years.

I don't care what acronym others use, doesn't bother me. I just have reasons why it makes sense to me, as I've outlined, and while I have made efforts in the past to conform, the general logic doesn't hold in my mind.

What I find disturbing is how it can derail complete discussions as if it really meant anything at all.

twebber55

I don't insist. It just comes naturally to clarify which park I am speaking about specifically, and I've used it for years.

I don't care what acronym others use, doesn't bother me. I just have reasons why it makes sense to me, as I've outlined, and while I have made efforts in the past to conform, the general logic doesn't hold in my mind.

What I find disturbing is how it can derail complete discussions as if it really meant anything at all.
im trying to figure out why people care so much if thats the way you want to call it so what

englanddg

One Little Spark...
im trying to figure out why people care so much if thats the way you want to call it so what
<shrug>

I dunno. I've done it for years, and I know it gets under some people's skin, so many times I'll refer to it as DL...but sometimes (like that post) I slip up, because it doesn't make sense to me.

It's the same way sometimes I'll slip up and call Hollywood Studios MGM.

Why it detracts from the overall point, when people obviously knew what I meant, confuses me.

lazyboy97o

Once again, incorrect.

The Paris park's official name is "Disneyland". That is their registered trademark and the name they use repeatedly (note where the registration mark lay, it isn't after Paris) in their materials. The fact that Paris is included is indicative of this use. There is only one Disneyland CALIFORNIA, but there is more than one Disneyland.

Hence clarification, not ignorance. Why it should stick in your craw so much confounds me, but I know you and I have had this run around debate before.

Furthermore, common vernacular dictates it. Fly to Middlesex and say you are going to Disneyland, and they'll likely assume Paris. Fly to Melbourne and say you are going to Disneyland and they'll likely assume Hong Kong.

Fly anywhere in the world and say you are going to Disneyworld, and they'll only associate that with Florida.
You're still missing that "in" or comma you later claimed as part of your clarification. That is part of your problem, you keep repeating "Disneyland California" as a name but then try to claim that you are saying "Disneyland, California" like an address.

Nobody here is going to be confused by the terminology of just using Disneyland. Even in the locations you mention, that depends on context and is not a serious situation to correct. Even if this was a localized discussion there is little issue of repeated confusion. Euro Disney[land] still seems to maintain a strong place in common usage across Europe and the resort has always had trouble attracting British tourists. Disneyland as its own place was well established by 1992 and the whole point of just using the Disneyland name has been part of the repeated, unsuccessful attempts to magically sprout a new image by constantly changing the name. The Disneyland Resort also attracts a sizable amount of tourism from Australia, so I also doubt that there would be an appreciable number of people who upon hearing "Disneyland" immediately jump to Hong Kong Disneyland.

The reason it probably drives people nuts is because your explanation comes down to everyone else here being too stupid to figure out what is being discussed. Language changes based on circumstance and there are very few circumstances here where there will be confusion between the Disneyland in Anaheim and the one in Marne-la-Vallée. E.P.C.O.T. being used to refer to the city concept does not seem to draw near the ire because there is sometimes confusion between it and the park, as Disney did use just EPCOT at times to refer to EPCOT Center.

Mike S

<shrug>

I dunno. I've done it for years, and I know it gets under some people's skin, so many times I'll refer to it as DL...but sometimes (like that post) I slip up, because it doesn't make sense to me.

It's the same way sometimes I'll slip up and call Hollywood Studios MGM.

Why it detracts from the overall point, when people obviously knew what I meant, confuses me.
This is the first time I saw it so I said something. Don't think I ever have to again, it is a pretty pointless thread drift. Say what you want I'll know what you're talking about now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom