The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

twebber55

<shrug>

I dunno. I've done it for years, and I know it gets under some people's skin, so many times I'll refer to it as DL...but sometimes (like that post) I slip up, because it doesn't make sense to me.

It's the same way sometimes I'll slip up and call Hollywood Studios MGM.

Why it detracts from the overall point, when people obviously knew what I meant, confuses me.
i didnt see it as a big deal and moved on with my real problems in life

ChrisM

I have a friend who went to Epcot but insisted they weren't "dong Disney" on their trip. To many people WDW=MK.

"Automobile?! What automobile?"

long-duk-dong.jpg

Travel Junkie

No. It's an acronym I've used for a long time, and debated before. It's one that I use naturally, and acknowledge that others find issue with it (I already have repeatedly in the prior posts).

If we wish to debate what the common vernacular / acronym usage should be for the next 3 pages, be my guest, but I, for one, find it a rather tired discussion. I have my reasons for using it, and none of it has anything to do with the discussion that was at hand.

Goodness, a multiple page debate on acronyms. Since 99.9999% of people on this forum use DLR to refer to the Disney parks located in the state of California, you’ll just confuse people by using the DLC acronym. The acronym was created by taking how Disney refers to the parks themselves. Disney calls it the Disneyland Resort and not the Disneyland California resort. If anything using Anaheim makes more sense than California as that is the city it’s located in and keeping with tradition of using cities in the resort name such as Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong. For the purposes of this forum I recommend using the DLR acronym or we will have this discussion every time. The park in Anaheim is the original and thus gets referred to as Disneyland period.

To the topic at hand, DLR does have more adults in their parks than WDW. There are plenty of kids but also plenty of couples and adult friends that use the parks as a meeting place. DLR takes on new life after dark that isn’t present as WDW. While WDW dies off as the evening goes on, DLR revs up, with an increasingly adult vibe as the night goes on. DLR has catered to this and offer things like the Mad T Party to accommodate them. Other parts of the parks like TL also have bands that cater to adults in the evening on weekend nights.

Whether it be athe choice of entertainment (or having it at all), or having swing dancing on weekends, or any number of other things, DLR has a created a tradition of being very open to adults. WDW has increasingly marketed towards a more specific demographic and leaving adults without kids behind.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Goodness, a multiple page debate on acronyms. Since 99.9999% of people on this forum use DLR to refer to the Disney parks located in the state of California, you’ll just confuse people by using the DLC acronym. The acronym was created by taking how Disney refers to the parks themselves. Disney calls it the Disneyland Resort and not the Disneyland California resort. If anything using Anaheim makes more sense than California as that is the city it’s located in and keeping with tradition of using cities in the resort name such as Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong. For the purposes of this forum I recommend using the DLR acronym or we will have this discussion every time. The park in Anaheim is the original and thus gets referred to as Disneyland period.

To the topic at hand, DLR does have more adults in their parks than WDW. There are plenty of kids but also plenty of couples and adult friends that use the parks as a meeting place. DLR takes on new life after dark that isn’t present as WDW. While WDW dies off as the evening goes on, DLR revs up, with an increasingly adult vibe as the night goes on. DLR has catered to this and offer things like the Mad T Party to accommodate them. Other parts of the parks like TL also have bands that cater to adults in the evening on weekend nights.

Whether it be athe choice of entertainment (or having it at all), or having swing dancing on weekends, or any number of other things, DLR has a created a tradition of being very open to adults. WDW has increasingly marketed towards a more specific demographic and leaving adults without kids behind.
DLR refers to Disneyland, DCA, Downtown Disney and the related Hotels...

But point taken.

MrDee

This argument is hilarious.....in a non-hilarious kind of way.

Two things I swore I would never do once I got out of the military were:
1-Never ever wear another hat as long as I live (but...does a Grumpy Santa Clause stocking count? Nope. No it does not).
2-Never ever again use acronyms (seriously...they have an acronym for EVERYTHING)

Thanks for bringing back my PTSD guys....doh!!

Cesar R M

Incorrect. "Disneyland" is the registered trademark for DLP, not "Disneyland Paris", for example. And, once again, the existence of at least one other instance requires clarification by definition.

Again, pretty much anyone and everyone who has chatted about the California park with me knows I use DLC to refer to the California Park. Most make an issue of it, and I've been down this road before, and frankly, don't care. I have my reasons, I have explained them, I won't change them, and frankly it does nothing to impact the content or commentary I make.

Also, not an attack (I don't take any of this personally).

That being said, I use TDS as well for DisneySEA.

sounds like your argument is pretty much "because I like and I can" even if you're vs the world.. lol!

<shrug>

I dunno. I've done it for years, and I know it gets under some people's skin, so many times I'll refer to it as DL...but sometimes (like that post) I slip up, because it doesn't make sense to me.

It's the same way sometimes I'll slip up and call Hollywood Studios MGM.

Why it detracts from the overall point, when people obviously knew what I meant, confuses me.

I still wonder why you have to force it into others. You said that you dont care, but you keep repeating the same to justify your decision to use DLC. so I am a bit confused.
also I have no idea why there is just a big problem with the names... names should suppose explain what things are in the easiest way.
Not confuse further.

And after reading these pages, it almost feels like you guys are all fighting to put the name something and hold dear to it like it was "your baby" :joyfull: (like the whole "I was first before it was cool" thing hipsters repeat to feel important :hilarious:)

Last edited:

khale1970

Posting something deliberately to cause a rise out of other posters is pretty much the definition of being a troll.

Really? Who knew? I'll be careful to avoid both that kind of behavior and sarcasm in the future. I wouldn't want this thread to drift away from the topic at hand...very smart and serious people calling others ignorant because they have a different opinion on the number of adult entertainment options at DLC(R) vs WDW or they use an acronym they don't like.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
sounds like your argument is pretty much "because I like and I can" even if you're vs the world.. lol!
It's more like, I know it isn't common usage (in fact, the common usage is DL), I've had this discussion many times before with largely the same people, there is a reason why it makes sense to me that I've illustrated, and it isn't that big a deal.

No where did I tell anyone else they should use it, or that using DLR or DL is incorrect. In fact, it's been the opposite, with others telling me that DLC is incorrect. And, they are free to think so. In fact, I have stated that it is NOT commonly used, and rather something that I use. And, as raven and many others know, I've used it in the past and don't really plan on censoring myself of it in the future. If I remember to refer to Disneyland, California as DL, fine. If not, I still fail to see what bearing it has on the discussion at large, as obviously people recognized what I was referring to in order to inform me that I'm incorrect.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

It's more like, I know it isn't common usage (in fact, the common usage is DL), I've had this discussion many times before with largely the same people, there is a reason why it makes sense to me that I've illustrated, and it isn't that big a deal.

No where did I tell anyone else they should use it, or that using DLR or DL is incorrect. In fact, it's been the opposite, with others telling me that DLC is incorrect. And, they are free to think so. In fact, I have stated that it is NOT commonly used, and rather something that I use. And, as raven and many others know, I've used it in the past and don't really plan on censoring myself of it in the future. If I remember to refer to Disneyland, California as DL, fine. If not, I still see what bearing it has on the discussion at large, as obviously people recognized what I was referring to in order to inform me that I'm incorrect.
you must have a patient of a saint to handle the same conversation that many times.
Someone said "since 1982". Thats one hell of a repetitive argument!

I wonder if its true about these acronyms discussions "battling about names since 1982" lol! :joyfull:

Goofyernmost

Just so we don't have to venture into this minefield again. I usually refer to Disneyland (the original in California) as DL. Like most people, I think, if I want to refer to Disneyland in Paris or any other I specify like I just did. Hope that helps in the future. :facepalm:

stlphil

Why this acronym discussion is somewhat important: because acronyms by their very nature bring ambiguity, and therefore are a barrier to entry to newbies to any topic (besides the more-obvious potential for general confusion and misunderstanding).

The only thing that makes acronyms acceptable at all is their common use by the practitioners of a field. Therefore, "It makes sense to me" is never a justification for using a particular acronym, particularly when a common acronym already exists for a particular entity.

Now back to your regularly scheduled TLA. (That's "Three Letter Acronym" for those of you that are acronymically challenged).

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

No where did I tell anyone else they should use it, or that using DLR or DL is incorrect. In fact, it's been the opposite, with others telling me that DLC is incorrect. And, they are free to think so. In fact, I have stated that it is NOT commonly used, and rather something that I use. And, as raven and many others know, I've used it in the past and don't really plan on censoring myself of it in the future. If I remember to refer to Disneyland, California as DL, fine. If not, I still fail to see what bearing it has on the discussion at large, as obviously people recognized what I was referring to in order to inform me that I'm incorrect.

Of course, everyone is more than welcome to continue to refer to Disneyland Paris as DP.

As in "This weekend I'm going to Europe to take in DP."

EPCOTCenterLover

Sorry everyone, I wasn't trying to derail the thread. My point was to reinforce an idea that to a non Disney-geek, many of them don't even know there is more than the Magic Kingdom there. It wasn't to start an acronym debate or anything else.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, as illustrated, when I say DLC, I am referring specifically to the Disneyland park in California. Not the Disneyland Resort as a whole, and not DCA. That specific park.

Congrats on being the first

Everyone else says dl and we know what they mean because everyone else says tdl, dlp, hkdl, etc

And say dlr, etc when referring to the whole resort

But be special...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom