The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

SirLink

They're not all that different because the structure you occupy is complete and unaffected. That is why I mentioned the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure. It is not considered incomplete or unsafe but could still be expanded in a rather similar fashion.

Hmmm you crazy Americans ... why not build it complete first? Again no planning authority in the UK would allow a multi-storey car park to be opening up in phases, the "parking garage" Disney is building would be determined and would require certain space around each if they were individual "parking garages" otherwise it is a singular one.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
@WDW1974 @PhotoDave219

With the American Film Institute shop and exhibit closing this upcoming Sunday any word on where they are going to now move all the items relocated to the AFI shop from Sid Cahuenga's or where the Exhibit wares are going if anywhere at all?

Wonder what they are going to do with this area or if they are just starting to clean house for the future. For now they are saying the Backlot Tour will continue but just end with guests disembarking from the tram.

FigmentJedi

Look who's showing up in the new Star Wars show!
10374430_10152376743011799_8201330493286338324_n.jpg

DougK

D23 does need to do more in Orlando than an annual PowerPoint by some D list "historian" and MVMCP+ though. It's embarrassing

D23 is having "Destination D: Attraction Rewind" in Orlando in November of this year, at the Contemporary Hotel in fact!

SirLink

You don't build it all first because it is not all needed. I would wager that you could do it in the UK because what you keep missing is that this is not one building.

It is needed though. Can you build separate "multi-storey car parks"? - Yes. Can you build them together like Disney are to make them seem like it is one and open them at different times? -Nope Health and Safety would have a field day with any construction company that tried to do that.

PhotoDave219

@WDW1974 @PhotoDave219

With the American Film Institute shop and exhibit closing this upcoming Sunday any word on where they are going to now move all the items relocated to the AFI shop from Sid Cahuenga's or where the Exhibit wares are going if anywhere at all?

Wonder what they are going to do with this area or if they are just starting to clean house for the future. For now they are saying the Backlot Tour will continue but just end with guests disembarking from the tram.

No clue. We'll have to see how this plays out.

lazyboy97o

It is needed though. Can you build separate "multi-storey car parks"? - Yes. Can you build them together like Disney are to make them seem like it is one and open them at different times? -Nope Health and Safety would have a field day with any construction company that tried to do that.
This not some bizarre mind game being pulled by Disney. Look at the picture. The doubled up columns are there because they are for the separate structures. Just because on first look they appear as one has nothing to do with them being separate structures. What you're trying to claim is that in the UK new construction is not allowed next to existing structures.

TP2000

I have friends they got rid of D 23 because they were unable to get into any of the special events.

they do have a point in that this company appears to have a west coast bias. Orlando seems to get perpetually crapped on over and over again.

I can understand the frustration with D23 events, especially if you don't live in Southern California. Personally, I think D23's memebership club concept has been a huge disaster for them and never lived up to the goals and aspirations for the club. It's on life support now and forced to stay alive mostly to save corporate face.

I'm of the opinion that D23 now exists solely to host D23 Expo every two years.

If they move ComicCon from San Diego to Anaheim, as is the perpetual rumor that fuels the convention center arms race in SoCal, I think D23 Expo goes away entirely and Disney folds more stuff into ComicCon.

But as it stands now, there is not nearly enough convention center space in all of Walt Disney World to host a D23 Expo, without radically downsizing the whole thing and changing the purpose. They could host a D23 Expo at the Orange County Convention Center, but then you are miles from Disney property and you'd need a bus fleet of apocalyptic proportions to shuttle the 50,000 visitors to and from Disney property each day. Plus the issue of shipping all of that equipment and staff and celebrities out from SoCal to Orlando for a week. It would cost a fortune over the costs of the same event in Anaheim.

But even if you had a huge budget and held it at Orlando's convention center you'd lose that compact, walkable vibe of the Anaheim event. You'd lose the "buzz" and thus the hype, and these types of fan and media events feed off "buzz" and excitement and atmosphere. Plus it would be inconvenient for Bob Iger to give his 20 minute opening day speech before he drove back up the freeway to LA. :rolleyes:

SirLink

This not some bizarre mind game being pulled by Disney. Look at the picture. The doubled up columns are there because they are for the separate structures. Just because on first look they appear as one has nothing to do with them being separate structures. What you're trying to claim is that in the UK new construction is not allowed next to existing structures.

That is not what I'm claiming but if you were to read first:

Buildings are defined by different types: residential, public, commercial, industrial, etc. There are requirements depending on types of buildings that are built next to each other ie. commercial and multi-storey car park. Between every singular mulit-storey car park depending on size and height you would require a form of boundary between them.

I grant you its different to you folks in the US, but I would not want to park a car in there at all.

truecoat

I seem to recall a bridge whose decks were overloaded with construction materials and a gusset plate failed and dropped the whole structure and traffic into a river. Being an engineer I tend to avoid bridges 'under construction'...

Just Saying

You are talking about a bridge that was 40+ years old to begin with and those gusset plates were improperly designed. Not quite the same as a new structure.

PeterAlt

I wasn't asking. I was making a point. Disney owns a far less percentage of SDL than it did initially with EuroDisney. So, multiplying the fractions representing percentage of initial ownership in both resorts and dividing the initial investments in both, you get a very comparable number because Disney owned more of EuroDisney initially than it does SDL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom