The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
For anyone who thinks they have the Marvel/Uni contract 100% figured out and thinks they know what's allowed where, look at the movie side. You have Marvel and Fox using the same character, played by different people in different movies. Some stuff is obviously off-limits, but there's a whole lot of grey area.

I actually don't think Uni would challenge something unless it was very blatant or a big E-ticket. IMO, the uncertainty probably helps them keep Disney at bay regarding some characters who might be "on the line", so to speak. If a judge starts defining some of the ambiguities in the contract (like what a "substantial part" means), Uni could actually lose ground.

Just ... NO!

WDW1974

Original Poster
By all accounts, they raised hell over a monorail overlay looping through EPCOT. If Disney thought they had a case for Iron Man (the only marketable character without a ride/restaurant named after him in MSHI), they would've tried last year. Instead they went with Iron Patriot--one of a handful of characters created after the contract was signed.

I still don't understand the brand advocate obsession over this. TWDC owns the characters free and clear in Anaheim--they've yet to do anything with them that doesn't pale in comparison to Hulk and Spidey in IoA. Moreover, the Disney specialties--omnimovers, animatronics--are particularly ill-suited to Marvel, as opposed to, say, Arrendale or Radiator Springs, both of which feel like a more natural fit to the existing Orlando parks.

What is it with Disney fans and the whole Marvel BRAND (one that 90% of them had zero interest in before Disney bought the company very late in 2009)?

If you want a Disney Marvel attraction, then go to Hong Kong. They have one opening in two years.

PhotoDave219

What is there to talk about?

ESPN has been a cesspool of debauchery and ''boys being boys'' for a long time (before Disney even owned them) and for being the ''worldwide leader in sports'' and Disney's $$$ printing press, they sure are embarrassing most of the time.

Because its wrong.

Because they reinforce the wrong ideals and could damage "The Brand"(tm).

PhotoDave219

th

Fame, fortune and Fornication.

LondonGopher

You said it quite well.

I recall when Disney first put in 'fixing bars' at QSRs starting in 1989. And back then they had a much wider array of items (think everything from pineapple to bell peppers to guacamole).

It was amazing to watch how many people would still have a plain cheesburger. Maybe they'd put ketchup on it.

I recall hearing people freaking out over the idea of chicken as a pizza topping in the 21st century.

I witnessed people at a table not knowing what a risotto was (adult Americans).

I have sat at the California Grill while a family would all order ''the steak'' (CG has had an amazing tamarind BBQ filet since the 90s) ''without that sauce or any veggies ... just bring us fries.''

I have watched adults pay to dine at Boma and eat chicken nuggets, fries and pizza off the kiddie buffet.

WDW has guests with very simple tastes ... like ill-bred 8-year-olds. Was that nicer?

HA!

The return of Lady Snobbington ;):

I've mentioned that I grew up in the nightclub business - surrounded by all kinds of...scuzz (for lack of a better G-rated word). But my parents wanted something different for me and my brother. Broader horizons. Something more (and maybe something better). The aspirational view of the world that they had, that WALT had...where has that gone?

My parents couldn't take us to Japan - or Morocco - but I remember visiting EPCOT Center in the '80s and having long conversations with the CMs in WS. I remember dining at RM and my parents asking all kinds of questions of the waiter. For us kids, EPCOT was a revelation. And that was just WS...

St. Augustine said something like, "The world is a book. Those who don't travel read only one page." What about people who won't even try "foreign" food! :confused:

Maybe Devo(lution) is more than just a band...

...and I also saw adults just eating macaroni and cheese at Boma (2012). I asked our waitress, she said it was a common occurrence...:cry: Mac and cheese is tasty, don't get me wrong, but...???

flynnibus

Premium Member
He doesn't "cover" them, he actively promotes them but while still claiming some veneer of journalistic independence, despite being granted special treatment and access by the Mouse. If a Wall Street journalist "covered" a stock the way Mongello "covers" Disney, he'd go to jail.

Umm.. how about Wall Street Journalist Walt Mossberg and Apple?

BrianLo

What is it with Disney fans and the whole Marvel BRAND (one that 90% of them had zero interest in before Disney bought the company very late in 2009)?

I'm still convinced that has far more to do with Marvel's increase in popularity in general and less to do with the very well timed Disney purchase. Not that I remotely doubt you that there are still some crazy Brand advocates that only like it now that it's within the Mouse's clutches, but I hope that's still a minority - not 90%...

If Marvel was producing garbage, you'd have the Disney fans still decrying it as a terrible purchase. Their tune has changed rightly because Marvel is doing consistently great stuff.

Funny how these days the only studio that seems to be struggling a bit with identity is Pixar.

Cesar R M

I believe it is in the Naples area and I think it is a family restaurant, not his. I do wonder if it's a money-laundering operation (just kidding, of course, I am sure Lou is as clean as a typical MK QSR dining area).
I swear your comment reminded me of that crazy episode of "Kitchen Nightmares" by Gordon Ramsay.
Where they visit Amy's Baking company... and they found the biggest trainwreck of the entire series.
Bonus when the owner was suspicious of being a Italian Mafia tug who uses her wife's "toy" restaurant as a money laundering operation!!.

Kuzcotopia

I'm still convinced that has far more to do with Marvel's increase in popularity in general and less to do with the very well timed Disney purchase. Not that I remotely doubt you that there are still some crazy Brand advocates that only like it now that it's within the Mouse's clutches, but I hope that's still a minority - not 90%...

If Marvel was producing garbage, you'd have the Disney fans still decrying it as a terrible purchase. Their tune has changed rightly because Marvel is doing consistently great stuff.

It's hard to believe that Iron Man was only released in summer of 08'.

Marvel is continuing to grow a very large and dedicated fan base. . . May who never read a comic in their life. It's been an amazing run of surprisingly good movies so far, and until they stumble and start making poor, eye-rolling swill like the FF4 movies, I see no end in sight for how popular the franchise might become.

Disney's job right now should be to shut up and stay out of the way. Branding at the parks, not branding. . . Don't really care. Anything Disney might do to market the brand really only cheapens the studio's success.

SJN1279

Then why in the world would you waste your time here?

Do you enjoy watching films you don't enjoy? Listen to music that isn't your thing?

Seriously, if you don't find anything of value here, then the best advice I can give you is TO LEAVE.

I enjoy the speculation. You made an observation, so did I. All good.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Sunday Musings:

Manhattan looks like it might be worthy of a first-look tonight on WGN.

One thing missing in the dog days of summer: breathless fanboi threads about the crowds at Disney and/or UNI. It didn't seem busy at WDW over the 4th, so I can't say I am surprised.

As I sit here watching the Simpsons, I realize that the show's writers still have it after all these years. To think that the show started in the 80s is pretty freaking amazing.

To my friend headed out on a true Top One Percent Vacation tomorrow: have a great time ... and no accidents in any National Park!

Yes, I do remember Florida Festival. It was the place my Spirited folks took me when it was raining and they didn't want to go to the WDW Village at LBV.

You know how you feel like a weekend has just flown by? Yeah ...

Anyone here remember Eastside Mario's (not for Canadians)?

''Apple Buys Facebook on eBay!''

Not the most inspired musings ... what can I say? My heart isn't in it.

Nemo14

Spirited Sunday Musings:

One thing missing in the dog days of summer: breathless fanboi threads about the crowds at Disney and/or UNI. It didn't seem busy at WDW over the 4th, so I can't say I am surprised.

As I sit here watching the Simpsons, I realize that the show's writers still have it after all these years. To think that the show started in the 80s is pretty freaking amazing.

To my friend headed out on a true Top One Percent Vacation tomorrow: have a great time ... and no accidents in any National Park!

Yes, I do remember Florida Festival. It was the place my Spirited folks took me when it was raining and they didn't want to go to the WDW Village at LBV.

How strange that you mentioned National Parks. DH and I were just discussing a possible trip to Yosemite for next year. There are so many national parks we want to visit, it's hard to narrow it down.

culturenthrills

Spirited Sunday Musings:

So many people knock on The Simpsons now. The show is still better than most of the comedies on network TV after being on the air for almost 25 years. Yes, is it as good as Season 6, no, but it is still consistently funny and they still find new stories to explore unlike Family Guy which ran out of gas a few seasons ago.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

We had an East Side Mario's near me years ago. I don't remember much about it really except that it had a Statue of Liberty holding a tomato on the sign. I think it turned into a Pizza Hut at least 10 or 15 years ago.

Nemo14

We had an East Side Mario's near me years ago. I don't remember much about it really except that it had a Statue of Liberty holding a tomato on the sign. I think it turned into a Pizza Hut at least 10 or 15 years ago.
We had one too - we must have liked it because we went there many times. It's been gone for several years now though.

Quinnmac000

So the results are in from Comic Con and Avengers and Marvel got beat out attention wise...but a significant margin by none of then DC. Will Marvel keep its track record of record breaking movies or will they slowly go into decline? However Disney did score a win with Once Upon A Time. Maybe its a sign they should stick to adding more of Disney Classic characters in the park and focus on them then focusing on putting Marvel characters in.

comic-con-2014-day-4-infographic-us.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom