The Spirited Back Nine ...

Bairstow

But the best park for Christmas spirit is definitely Dollywood. Shows are great, lights and music everywhere, and just lots of good spirit there.

And it's freaking cold.
Last year I went wearing nothing but a flannel shirt and jeans and by nightfall it was touching 33 degrees.
They ended up shutting down the coasters half an hour before the park closed due to temperature.

Nemo14

And it's freaking cold.
Last year I went wearing nothing but a flannel shirt and jeans and by nightfall it was touching 33 degrees.
They ended up shutting down the coasters half an hour before the park closed due to temperature.
We went in early December last year, and they were having a spell of unseasonable warm weather. we didn't even wear jackets. The next day they were forecasting a major ice storm and we ended up leaving for home a day early to get ahead of it. Crazy weather!

John

The information given to us by Spirit? What pray tell is that information other then vague references to things that we pretty much already knew were happening. The degradation of an attraction because it appears to be a carnival attraction is just plan nonsense especially when you consider how many of those attractions not only have been in Disney Parks, but are legends of Disney Parks. Also, Spirit made absolutely no identifying comments concerning what they might be or, for that matter, if he was talking about DHS or Universal.

Also, yes this is a discussion forum. But if you are going to discuss something make sure you say that it is your opinion and not necessarily fact. When you say it burns you, What burns you? Something that doesn't even exist and hasn't happened yet. Your going to break a leg, jumping to conclusions like that. You may be right, and what they deliver may be crap. But, you have nothing, at this point, to be burned about except your own thought patterns.

I'm sure that you can see the difference between an attraction and an entire park purposing. When Disney/MGM started it was a working studio and that was the absolute essence of the park. The financial and practical I was referring to was that concept that they could maintain complete working studios on both coasts and be able to make a profit for the park. Obviously they could not and you think that they should continue to throw money at something just to satisfy a alleged craving just to maintain that essence. We all like to think that Disney exists just to make us giddy, but, even in Walt's time that wasn't the case. In Walt's time if something wasn't working it was gone a whole lot faster then is happening now.

Until just a few minutes ago, I had never heard of PML. Now that I know what it is, I am even more puzzled by that statement. In other words, I don't have a clue what you are attempting to say. What reputation? Living up to what? Seriously, I really don't have even the foggiest idea what is being implied.

Its fine....Goofyernmost I like you. Lets just not do this. Seems pointless. I made a comment on my own opinion and you argue my opinion. I agree when someone states their opinion on here they open themselves up to criticism. You made your point. Are you doing it to change my mind or to just criticize me? If its the latter then just say it....you are an idiot....I can take it.....its less tiresome.

My......side bar: was in no way directed toward you and had nothing to do with you. As you seen I got my point across. The person it was directed to got the message.

71jason

The business model is all about segregating guests based on what the guests can (or are willing) to pay. Disney is the worst, but UNI during Horror Nights does plenty as well with the every-changing price of an Express Pass. Much like Disney's Villains Party in Cindy's Castle, it's just an upcharge inside an upcharge.

HHN has various levels of upcharge, including essentially an unlimited express pass to the front of the express line.

71jason

It would be better if we had new stuff, but we did just get Diagon Alley in Florida ... and DL's Diamond Annivesary Celebration to look forward to next year.

I'm starting to think it's a fun time to be a theme park fan (in general) again!

Not theme parks exactly, but I-Drive is getting Mangos, Blue Martini, a new Ferris Wheel with a host of bars around it, probably the Poler Coaster ...

Meanwhile TDO has quietly done a 180 on PI 3.0 (3.5? 4.0?) with The Hanger and The Edison pretty much explicitly bars, and the Boathouse looking more and more like a restaurant/bar hybrid.

Things are definitely looking up for the area.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just like Hidden Mickeys. Used to be fun, obscure things to look for in the 1990s. Now you've got the books, the "Hidden Mickeys" guy (what a heavy crown to wear), etc. They've lost their charm, and now they're just another thing for some fanbois to obsess over.

Yes exactly - and you really had to LOOK for them, now they are so dumbed down they practically punch you in the face.

BrianLo

You mean someone else thinks moving it's a small world to further expand Fantasyland is a good idea? And those people run the best Disney resort on the planet? I'm shocked.

The idea always made sense (this one far, far less so), it was the cost of doing so that seemed questionable. Moving a spinner is one thing. There's a logical argument for moving IASW to Epcot and freeing up A LOT of room in MK, this however just seems like throwing around their money, because they can...

Although, I'm sure the actual reason will make sense once we know a bit more about the expansion. The only thing I can think of was such a drastic overhaul was being planned anyways, they figured why not start from scratch?

The other being they are freeing up a significant amount of backstage room to expand into... It's pretty packed back there currently.

I really hope they don't go the Where's Waldo? route with the rebuilt attraction.

Meaning inserting the random Disney characters? I don't hate it, HKDL has my favourite version I think.

No, because then the Alice ride wouldn't be anchored by the existing Alice Restaurant.

Sorry, I realized the restaurant would have to be moved and overlaid, but that's got to be a marginal cost by comparison and they could reuse the restaurant. They aren't exactly going to reuse the flume and ride profile when they are building it a few doors down.

Last edited:

doctornick

You mean someone else thinks moving it's a small world to further expand Fantasyland is a good idea? And those people run the best Disney resort on the planet? I'm shocked.

The irony being that moving IASW to Epcot not only helps with the ride count in that park, but also puts the ride in a more thematically appropriate setting -- and allows Fantasyland to get a more thematically appropriate ride (or rides) in its place.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A few thoughts done with sketches.

PLEASE CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS TO VIEW THEM LARGER.

*sorry for yelling y'all*

@WDW1974 @Lee @marni1971 @ParentsOf4

The map: A lot of demo work all around.

View attachment 71737

Taking the Earful tower and moving to the park entrance, but with a better version of what was attempted at Walt Disney Studios Paris.

View attachment 71738

Looking forward into the new entrance plaza. On both sides of the Earful tower are faux warehouse or studio offices, big iron gates, similar to the paramount pictures studio gates, etc.

View attachment 71739

Interesting sketches ... with detail like that, I'd expect you could work for WDI.

But I do think you have too many trees in the DSP one.

the.dreamfinder

PhotoDave219

I believe you. I just don't trust the current powers that be over at whatever passes for Imagineering these days. Safe could mean that the basic structure will still stand but the inside will be turned into well..what they did to Imagination over in Epcot.

All the money that was originally allocated for imagination got shifted to a third theater at soarin

doctornick

The information given to us by Spirit? What pray tell is that information other then vague references to things that we pretty much already knew were happening.

Yeah, I've got to say that there really hasn't been a lot of meat in this thread to date. Mostly just vague confirmations of stuff that was already mostly expected. I actually have found the TDL talk more interesting than anything else.

I'll be interested once we have some real details of what is going on in DHS.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As I try and catch up and toss out thoughts from a week of park and resort-hopping fun, here's food for thought regarding food.

Le Cellier's current menu is a flat out F-U to anyone with a pulse and a rational sense of the value of money and food in O-Town. Two credits on the meal plan is a death knell for any attempt at rational pricing. $42 chicken and $29 veggie entrees on an all-day menu. Sure ... I haven't dined here since 2008 after being a 3-4 times a year diner. The only way I'll dine there is for free. Flat out.

I did have a great meal at the Grand Flo Cafe for half off because a friend had a holiday certificate from last year he forgot to burn. Had a lovely salad for $3.50 and a terrific steak for $15. If I had paid $30 for it, then I would have been having a discussion with the area manager about meat quality at an alleged 4-star resort (with 5-star delusions). But for $15, it sure was yummy.

I went to the Food and Wine Fest. I bought exactly zero samples. Got turned off by a $7.25 'sample' at Canada and lines by rubes who have no regard for money (probably the types who think poor people are happy that way or just lazy and want handouts from them, so they can't blow $234 in a day on samples and booze at a theme park!)

But had issues at UNI too. Lombard's Landing, while good, is now using waffle fries that are overdone and not even as good as Chik-Fil-A. Leaky Cauldron is good and has a great feel, but close to $40 for two people to have fast food is ridiculous, even if the food was great.

Two places, I'd send people to at WDW: Columbia Harbor House (a Spirited Family Tradition since 1976!) and the Contemo Cafe at the Contemporary Resort. The former has a great new chicken and broccoli salad in a creamy peppercorn dressing, the latter a great steak salad with pita bread. Both are (they won't be after I post this, though) under $9.

No, I haven't tried the new locales at City Walk. The crowds were insane and I don't find that relaxing at all when it comes time to dine and wind down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom