The Spirited Back Nine ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
BTW, you have to admire Mickey's (and Georgie's) balls.

The final MNSSHP is Friday.

The first MVMCP is next Friday.

Yep, the Friday before Veteran's Day weekend (and it is apparently sold out already! Bless those Lifestylers and addicts!) ... oh, and the holiday itself. So, no 3-day weekend for MK hours. And SEVEN Christmas Parties BEFORE Thanksgiving.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 I take it, then, that Epcot is still in 'Maelstrom Overlay, Soarin' Upgrade (at some point), in terms of planned improvements?

Sad to contemplate that, at minimum, 3 of 4 parks need major work, isn't it? But that is where we find ourselves. I know that MK could use more, given the underwhelming nature of the FL Expansion, but with
the hub thingy, etc. we could reasonably let that sit for a couple years, anyway.

But Epcot, poor Epcot has lost its way. (Not that we'll ever get it back. I'm a forward thinking person, not sentimental about much in life, but late 80's Epcot was a dream we'll never see again.)

You take it correctly.

lots of possibilities ... but nothing likely beyond the things above.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Good to see you spirit in between threads the world actually stops spinning.....scientists in a room somewhere hAve proven it....so I am glad you have returned for humanity.

Side bar: what is your basic background? I am curious if you were a CM at one point ect ect? What originally tied you to the mouse?

My basic background is in media and entertainment. I have never been employed by TWDC but I have given a fair amount of free consulting in the past to people I mistakenly viewed as friends, including the current WDW Prez.

What tied me to the Mouse ... family trips I'd say ... growing up in a vastly different Florida than the mess we have now ... and watching EPCOT Center being built and being inspired by that place very heavily for its first 15 years.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Doom and gloom aside, it seems like 3/4 parks will come out significantly ahead of where they began this decade. I've long said if the DHS plans ever actually got pushed through I'd be pretty happy with their five-year medium term plans overall.

It's not perfect, but the WDW haemorrhage seems to have finally neared an end.

If only a few more Epcot refurbs (Imagination, Energy) firmed up there really wouldn't be a whole lot to complain about.

1 down, 3 to go... (Hat, Yeti, Imagination, COP)

I think you are being far, far too optimistic and that is even if all that seems to be happening actually does.

All four parks need major additions and improvements and the resort as a whole needs a lesson in its roots and what it was from opening thru the mid-90s.

WDW is now largely all about BRANDED experiences and not about creating immersive places that transport guests. It all goes back into itself and what guests say they want for inspiration. That's not a long term recipe for creative or financial success.

misterID

I realize that comment could have been clearer. I love DA. It most definitely is close to perfect.

Gringotts is just a nice attraction that, quite frankly could have and should have, been better but is still better than anything WDW has built this century.

I'm just tired of every UNI attraction being so **** similar right now. The Lorax wouldn't have been and ... oh yeah, they killed that one.

A friend, and former poster here who is on his way back from Asia right now (and I hope he pops in here ... hey @Kuhio, I'm talking 'bout you!) was at UNI about five or six weeks ago and loved DA but had similar feelings about Gringotts. He termed the effect to be 'Universal Fatigue' and I brought this up while with my UNI-Creative friend 'Gywn' ...the feeling is one of sameness because UNI is so infatuated with screens on its attractions. I hope he makes a return here because I absolutely agree with it.

Yes, UNI is doing some amazing work, some of the best anywhere. But while DA as a whole showcases that, Gringotts, to me, is just more of the same. It reminds me of criticism of EPCOT Center in its heyday of long, immersive Omnimover/AA-filled rides. ... At some point I think it does come down to taste and what you enjoy in a park.

FWIW, both Kuhio and 'Gywn' (you know, the one who helped build DA and Gringotts) think the greatest attraction built in the last few years anywhere is HKDL's Mystic Manor. I think @WDWFigment may well share that view as well.
THANK YOU. Anytime you even remotely give any criticism towards UNIs overuse of screen-based attractions and that EFG is a good, not great ride, you get a UNI fanboi's jaws locked on your ankles. DA was brilliant, and was itself the star of the expansion, not EFG... It's still a very cool ride, just a big missed opportunity.

Yeah, I like the idea of a MM attraction more and more over any proposed thrill ride.That's the kind of ride AK needs...AND UNI/IOA.

And Lorax being cut was an incredibly short-sided (and imo dumb) decision, considering the variety of attractions UNI needs and currently offers. So you don't want to build an expensive dark ride that an entire family can ride, but you will build another expensive coaster attraction that appeals to the same crowd you don't have any issues with attracting? uggh.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 any guesses on what we are getting in terms of Star Wars? I had heard mostly shops and restaurants and not so much in rides.

That's a dangerous game that I simply don't wish to play anymore.

When I have solid information that I am allowed to share, I do.

I will say that some of the SW concepts ARE exciting and top notch. Things that certainly could compete with say ... a Gringotts or a Transformers (to use two examples that are the newest major rides in O-Town).

TP2000

How long did the DCA makeover take from announcement to open?

Just under five years from announcement to Cars Land. Just over six years if you include all the rumors and dish on the Extreme Makeover that Al Lutz started spilling about the project well before it was announced publicly.

Bob Iger and Jay Rasulo made a big media presentation about re-Imagineering and massively expanding DCA on October 17, 2007. Around October 12, 2007, Al Lutz posted his final update and said that the big reveal would happen a few days later on the 17th. It did. (Lutz obviously had a really solid inside corporate source on the DCA makeover project) After several years of massive construction and various debuts, Cars Land opened on July 15, 2012 and finished the entire parkwide makeover.

But there was a series of openings and debuts during the 2009-12 years. Cars Land's opening was the grand finale', the capstone, of the five year and 1.5+ Billion dollar extreme makeover of DCA.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
There is nothing better than logging in here after being away for a while and finding a new thread by Spirit. These are the only threads I put any faith in. So thanks for all the info you supply to us. Having said that, does it make anyone else sad to know that DHS will be so barren for the next bunch of years? It looks like the only things I will be looking forward to on my trips there are ToT, RnRC, TGMR, and eating at the 50s Prime Time Cafe (ask for Tom as your server). Truly hoping they find a way to make the park interesting while they do all of these additions.

As far as UNI goes, I could not agree more that the area was done perfectly. Totally immersive. Gringotts was fun, but was a bit of a letdown. I feel that is only because of the buildup. When I go back in a year, I will probably enjoy it more because my expectations will be dropped.

Just curious if Spirit has any insight on what is going on with Soarin...my apologies if this has been answered in other posts, but I have been away for a while. Are they making another theater, are they changing the movie? Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words.

Soarin will be updated and going digital and getting the SDL new film (looks like 2017, but could be sooner). They are waiting to see how the added track works on TSMM to decide whether to add the third theater to Soarin.

Cosmic Commando

Since we were talking about Tokyo and Small World... how in the heck haven't they added Duffy to that thing yet? They go crazy for him, and it actually fits with the "sailing around the world" theme.

Nmoody1

It wasn't always that way. But while UNI now seems to attract a higher caliber guest than Disney in general during the day and at its resorts, well, HHNs is a different story. It's often a trashfest due to the Frequent Fear Pass (had one last year for the first time, won't be repeating) where so many locals who drink and use drugs and are young and dumb are prevalent.

I've only once felt unsafe. That was last year when there was a group of wannabe gangstas who kept pushing my group, playing the touching game (not funny in middle school, much less funny when it's a 29-year-old stranger) ... I finally was about to leave and go find a cop when all of a sudden I heard a scream and turned to see that four of the guys in this group of 12 were beating the crap out of each other.

It took almost four minutes for police, followed by UNI security, to get there, which is insane.

Bill Davis and his OPs team is well aware they have a problem, a major one. But they just look at the bottom line and this event prints money.

But I'm done with it. I'd rather head to SoCal and do the events there (usually in much better weather too!)

FWIW, we arrived at 6:45 for a Thursday night 2a.m. close and did six of eight houses (only missed Dracula and From Dusk Til Dawn), saw Bill and Ted's and had dinner at Finnegan's. That's less than I have ever done considering we left the park at 2:40 a.m. And we wouldn't have gotten to see The Walking Dead (MUCH better than last year's) if not for the kindness of Dusty and Fishbulb of Micechat who gave @Lee and I two of their Express Passes that hadn't been scanned for that house for some reason. At that point, the wait was something like 140 minutes and I wouldn't wait that long for anything in a theme park anywhere.

OPs are a nightmare because they refuse to put caps on attendance and/or Express Pass sales. I don't think we waited longer than 45-50 minutes for anything (@Lee might recall better), but I am a Spirit who flat out doesn't believe in waiting more than 15-20 minutes for anything, so some lines felt like an eternity. And again, UNI does nothing to dress up the fact you are backstage in parking lots and dark areas etc ... nothing ... well, except for selling alcohol.

Once in the houses, they try their damndest to rush you in and out, so scares are few as is the opportunity to see some of the amazing design work that is put into the event.

It's all about $$$, much like Food and Wine Fest ...and what were once great events that I looked forward to annually going back to the 90s are now events that I largely want no part of.

i noticed this year that HHN in LA was not serving alcohol... not sure if this is a new thing, maybe Orlando could learn a thing or two!!

CentralFLlife

Soarin will be updated and going digital and getting the SDL new film (looks like 2017, but could be sooner). They are waiting to see how the added track works on TSMM to decide whether to add the third theater to Soarin.
So lets guess a year and a half at least for a TSMM track, year for decisions, plus probably another year and a half to build the third Soarin theater. Could they really take 4 years to build a soarin theater? Does that sound like a timeframe you've heard?

PhotoDave219

BTW, you have to admire Mickey's (and Georgie's) balls.

The final MNSSHP is Friday.

The first MVMCP is next Friday.

Yep, the Friday before Veteran's Day weekend (and it is apparently sold out already! Bless those Lifestylers and addicts!) ... oh, and the holiday itself. So, no 3-day weekend for MK hours. And SEVEN Christmas Parties BEFORE Thanksgiving.

Plus the first Christmas party I believe is already sold out…

Alektronic

The timeline I heard was they want the Frozen ride to open in Dec 2015, then they can close Soarin' in Jan 2016 then they will open 3 theaters of the new Soarin' in the summer of 2016

TP2000

Did DCA get a makeover on their budget, or just cars land?

DCA got a very clever makeover aesthetically during 2009-12, going in and bulldozing and rebuilding the weakest parts of the park design-wise and theme-wise. They also added five new rides, and re-skinned/re-themed another three rides. But much of the DCA project involved a purely aesthetic makeover to existing structures, and the building of new structures at a noticeably higher level of aesthetic standards.

DCA went from this during 2001-2010...
sunshine_withplanters2004ah.jpg

To this in 2012...
7719264836_85636b348a_z.jpg

And from this park entrance in 2001-2010 (at Christmastime)...
dcachristmas2001_bridge2001ah.jpg

To this park entrance in 2012 (at Christmastime)...
Disney-California-Adventure-Holidays-Buena-Vista-Street.jpg

Other areas of the park went from this aesthetic from 2001 (that's a whole lot of flat stucco)...
strips_d2001ah.jpg

To this level of aesthetics (plus a really fun D Ticket ride inside)...
100_3419.JPG

These types of aesthetic makeovers were found all over DCA from 2009 to 2012. The opening of Cars Land, a 12 acre expansion of the park itself, was the grand finale to all the other work within the existing park boundaries.

It should be interesting to see what they do aesthetically to existing DHS buildings and streetscapes if DHS gets a similar parkwide "Extreme Makeover".

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom