The Spirited 11th Hour ...

HauntedMansionFLA

Does anyone know how much Disney made off The Force Awakens? And I mean after paying the bills for making the movie, promotions, making the toys and so on. Just curious:) I know there are several people here good at the numbers. I ask this question because there will be people say Disney made all of their money back after this movie. It made great $$$ but they have a ways to go before they are in the black with buying LucasFilm.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Does anyone know how much Disney made off The Force Awakens? And I mean after paying the bills for making the movie, promotions, making the toys and so on. Just curious:) I know there are several people here good at the numbers. I ask this question because there will be people say Disney made all of their money back after this movie. It made great $$$ but they have a ways to go before they are in the black with buying LucasFilm.
Typically, a financial success is three times your production budget because 1/3 goes to making that back, 1/3 goes to the promotional and marketing expenses, and the last third goes to the theatres. Therefore, in theory, Disney started making profits the second that The Force Awakens went past $600 million.
And that's the actual movie that's been running for two months-- let alone everything else.

rael ramone

I loathe the idea of the subscription service, but I could see that being the route they go. Speaking of, does anyone know the specifics of the Disney-Netflix agreement? A lot of older Disney movies have disappeared from Netflix in recent months. I understand the concept of cycling titles, but it feels like the Disney material on Netflix continues to diminish.

Not to go too far off topic, but Warner Archive has done a nice job with the HD transfers of their 30s-40s B/W titles. I can't vouch for their DVDs, but those Blu-rays have looked good.

And -- to bring it back to Disney -- most of the animated films look good-to-great on Blu-ray (as long as you don't want to see film grain -- for animated films, I can see the argument for and against it). It's just the limited amount of material that gets released which bugs me.

Movies. Vintage shorts. Music. Vital TV Shows.

Nothing beats personal ownership of physical media. Never, ever depend on a sub service or a cloud for this stuff.

tirian

BernardandBianca

Really surprised when I saw this. You guys know how Disney has removed all those benches over the years like on Main Street right? Well, look what Universal has done out West for the guests standing in line for Harry Potter soft openings.
View attachment 130389
They put out benches :jawdrop:

Shouldn't be a surprise - Disneyland has not removed their benches, and there are a ton of them. It is only WDW that wants people up and moving all the time.

gmajew

Premium Member
That doesn't get to the heart of the issue for a few reason. First, true a la carte isn't going to happen. Comcast and the like have far more to lose from unbundling than Disney. Second, obviously ESPN would have fewer subscribers in an a la carte model, but those subscribers would probably be willing to pay more for the channel than the $6 they're paying in the bundle.

This is 100 percent true. I am a die hard sports fan have been my entire life my two kids are and we watch games any game all the time. Now with that being said we also watch Kentucky games and in the past when we had to buy gameplan or full court we did to watch them. So I would pay easily 20 a month for the ESPN channels as my games are on. Prob pay 40 and still be way way better off then I. The past with those premium packages.

What I a, saying is the people watching those games and wanting to watch sports one of the biggest segments in the entertainment industry will watch them no matter the cost. Rating for football basketball even soccer and hockey are not because of people just getting the game they are because people want to watch and enjoy watching.

Cord cutters are not the norm sport fan that drive the ratings. If that was the case viewing would have dropped this past year and ratings were up.

So like every business model it is going to evolve and change and pricing will change with it. Look at the dollar menu disappearing from menus. Why cause model changes and business adapt.

michmousefan

Saw Deadpool. Thank god for fan service as I enjoyed my servicing.

Its really, really funny and doesnt take itself seriously.

Stay thru the credits.

Edit: Thank god Disney had nothing to do with this film.

Edit 2: Stan Lee's Cameo is very appropriate.
Yep, it was a great time at the cinema. I'm hopeful that the success of this might even convince the folks in the MCU that it's OK to be a little more aggressive into the R-rated comic book world, at least on the film side of things. That said, I don't have a huge problem with the MCU... I really liked Ant-Man a lot, and frankly Daredevil and Jessica Jones come close to some of the violence levels in DP, and they seem to be doing quite well -- Daredevil S2 comes along in what, a month or two? Perhaps their strategy is to divert the edgy violent stuff to Netflix.

They really need to focus on raising the bar for the "just OK" MCU releases... looking at you, Thor!

PhotoDave219

Yep, it was a great time at the cinema. I'm hopeful that the success of this might even convince the folks in the MCU that it's OK to be a little more aggressive into the R-rated comic book world, at least on the film side of things. That said, I don't have a huge problem with the MCU... I really liked Ant-Man a lot, and frankly Daredevil and Jessica Jones come close to some of the violence levels in DP, and they seem to be doing quite well -- Daredevil S2 comes along in what, a month or two? Perhaps their strategy is to divert the edgy violent stuff to Netflix.

They really need to focus on raising the bar for the "just OK" MCU releases... looking at you, Thor!

I sincerely doubt this will effect the MCU whatsoever.

brb1006

Please be true. A nice bonus would be to take DAWM out at the same time. I would even appreciate taking the noise, or as they call it Music, down several decibels.
Along with removing that purple and blue tent located in the middle of the entrance of Cinderella Castle. I really miss seeing the Cinderella Castle like this before they added it around 2005 or 2006.
3539925274_56496fd790_o.jpg

Cesar R M

Shouldn't be a surprise - Disneyland has not removed their benches, and there are a ton of them. It is only WDW that wants people up and moving all the time.
more like "oh, they are tired? let them get in line to seat in a table restaurant so we can chunk more money from them".

Please be true. A nice bonus would be to take DAWM out at the same time. I would even appreciate taking the noise, or as they call it Music, down several decibels.
I'm confused with your comment.
Dream along with Mickey is ending, then you write "DAWM". Isnt it the same?
Dream Along With Mickey.

Or you mean the dance party parade (Celebrate a Street Party)?

doctornick

I was going to come here to comment on Deadpool's success last night (and projections for the weekend). Very impressive and goes against the convention wisdom about the release date and R-rating, etc for a comic book film.

That said, there is no way that the MCU should venture into the R-rated, higher violence/sex realm for their films. Part of the accumulated value for Marvel Studios and the MCU is that they provide (relatively) family friendly and light-hearted movies. They have a reputation and are well received; deviating from that would be harmful to them. I think the whole point of the Netflix deal is to provide an avenue for those types of productions within the MCU without it "tainting" the films.

I see that type of question come up in regards to the MCU with people asking for some sort of ultra violent Punisher (I know he'll be on the DD show) or Ghost Rider film and I just don't see it ever happening in the MCU as currently established. If they use such characters, it would not be R-rated and would be watered down. The only way I could see some violent Punisher film developed by Disney is if it were unconnected to the MCU and was released under (say) Touchstone. I actually think this is one of the few ways in which Marvel not owning some character film rights is good for Disney -- these kinds of movies like Deadpool can be made by a different company and not affect the Disney/Marvel Studios brands but still promote characters they own.

I'm very excited by the early success of Deadpool. I hope that it leads to other comic book films that are distinct and have different flavors. I am curious as to how film producers will interpret the success though -- Deadpool is a unique character in that he works for a R-rated film that has both teen sex comedy and explicit ultra violent aspects. It's also interesting that presentation is remaining accurate to the character, so it might increase hope that we get more loyal interpretations going forward (and less crap like Fant4stic); I think that's always been a strength of the MCU by being more true to the source material.

brb1006

Still wondering what will replace it.. no rumors around?
because removing it and leaving no replacement will seriously reinforce the "lol cost cutting and giving nothing back" complains.
Besides getting a Frozen show in Summer, I really hope Disney can come up with a better daytime castle show. I really loved the previous one being "Cinderella's Surprise Celebration" from the 2001 - 2006.

brb1006

more like "oh, they are tired? let them get in line to seat in a table restaurant so we can chunk more money from them".

I'm confused with your comment.
Dream along with Mickey is ending, then you write "DAWM". Isnt it the same?
Dream Along With Mickey.

Or you mean the dance party parade (Celebrate a Street Party)?
Celebrate a Street Party comes to mind

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom