The Spirited 11th Hour ...

matt9112

I've always paid the premium for the Contemporary, Poly, and Grand Floridian because of location/convenience ... that is worth a lot to me when I have limited time for a WDW vacation. It has nothing to do with the "fancy category name". I suspect many others feel the same way.

I get your point being on the monorail line but the bus transport s not that awful....sure 2 minutes vs 30 but what are you doing with an extra 28 minutes. (We do crazy planning and go on offseason) to achieve the same effect.

Goofyernmost

I'm bribing my neighbor with homemade bread for use of his snowblower....
Good move. Homemade bread is much less expensive than a snowblower. I had a massive snowblower when I lived in Vermont. I gave it away when I moved. I didn't even want to think about snow much less be reminded about it every time I saw it in the garage.

tirian

Eisner also loved building parks that were incomplete/half built. Corporate scam that screws the customer. I understand he made the company money but don't like the way he went about it. Even though I don't like him as a leader, I think he does love the company. So I guess there is something to be said for that.
Eisner is the one that started this mess in the first place. Underfunding attractions, Strategic Planning, cutting quality in favor of the bottomline, etc. all began under his watch about twenty years ago. So I don't understand where your sentiment is coming from. If anything things have slightly improved under Iger.

Early Eisner (with Wells) was determined to make "Disney" synonymous with "innovation, creative risks, and quality." Mid Eisner (immediately post Wells) began reducing the company to patterns. Movies were formulaic; WDI shifted to over-contrived back stories; theme park operations started their slide downwards. Late Eisner (late 90s – mid 00s) seemed determined to ruin his own legacy in order to sabotage the next CEO. Let's not pretend the man's final years were anything but disastrous.

Eisner understood the intangibles that make Disney successful and ripped them out of the parks. From land-specific entertainment to after-dinner chocolates, from empty sub lagoons to the shell formerly known as PI, from DCA to WDSP, and faded paint to broken lightbulbs, and the Wand to the BAH, the list is too extensive to post here.

Iger has proven to be little more than an IP collector, showing no understanding of his own company or affection for the existing, highly successful IP he was hired to promote. Yet he at least understands he can't micromanage everything, and he gave each film division a leader who DOES "get it"; most of the people he has put in movie-related positions excel at making Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel, WDA, etc. successful (the Muppets notwithstanding). But he seems to hate the parks.

In fact, WDI and the Parks have been decidedly mixed under Iger. The parks are better maintained than the late days of Eisner but still not up to established standards; areas are slightly improved in odd places without really fulfilling crowd demands or needs (New FL, Frozen-strom). Originality doesn't matter because IPs sell merchandise. Hotels are severely overpriced, yet amenities and service levels are below Hampton Inns. For a decade, ticket prices rose dramatically without necessary capex being reinvested. Star Wars and Toy Story are finally on the way.

In an ideal world, we'd have early Eisner back at the helm; and coupled with a strong businessperson, the WDC would be wowing us along the lines of EPCOT Center expansions, Splash Mountain, ToT, D-MGM, PI, TL, and BB—not to mention the hotels and cruise line. The movie division would be releasing the next BATB or Lion King.

But the silver lining is that because he's not a micromanager, Iger allows VPs to run their own divisions; and WDI should flourish under Weis.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

That assumes the monorails are functioning.
If we were to be really truthful we would acknowledge that it really isn't very often that the Monorails aren't functioning. Everything mechanical, buses, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, boats, trains, airplanes, refrigerators, televisions and the list goes on and on occasionally requires repair. This idea that because some "Disney Magic" exists will prevent that stuff from ever having a problem is so embedded in Pixie Dust that it is impossible to breath sometimes. When you consider the miles that that equipment runs up every single year, it's a wonder they don't just fall off the rail.

Mike S

No need for name calling, but I am very disappointed with the way they treated you, so I am surprised you would be so on board with their word as gospel.
Almost as much as I'm a Disney fan I'm also a fan of Nintendo. One of the strongest feelings of nostalgia I get is whenever I hear the opening title music for Super Mario World. I guess I was so willing to jump on board with their info because I wanted to believe so badly that cuts didn't happen with this project. That's pretty much all I was focusing on.

@whylightbulb, are they drastic cuts like what happened to Mine Train?

Last edited:

tirian

If we were to be really truthful we would acknowledge that it really isn't very often that the Monorails aren't functioning. Everything mechanical, buses, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, boats, trains, airplanes, refrigerators, televisions and the list goes on and on occasionally requires repair. This idea that because some "Disney Magic" exists will prevent that stuff from ever having a problem is so embedded in Pixie Dust that it is impossible to breath sometimes. When you consider the miles that that equipment runs up every single year, it's a wonder they don't just fall off the rail.
I've stayed almost exclusively on the monorail circuit for years, and service is frequently down. For about two years now, it has operated on a limited schedule.

The fact is, the trains were operated carelessly for about a decade, and maintenance needs have finally caught up to them. I don't expect monorails from the early 90s to function 24/7, and I'm certainly not a Pixie Duster. I do think it's a poor reason to overcharge for the hotels. And make no mistake; unless you're staying on a discount, those three monorail resorts are overpriced.

whylightbulb

Almost as much as I'm a Disney fan I'm also a fan of Nintendo. One of the strongest feelings of nostalgia I get is whenever I hear the opening title music for Super Mario World. I guess I was so willing to jump on board with their info because I wanted to believe so badly that cuts didn't happen with this project. That's pretty much all I was focusing on.

@whylightbulb, are they drastic cuts like what happened to Mine Train?
Hard to compare the two. I'd definitely say however that the scope of the recent cuts will affect the main ride as well as potentially cutting out another attraction completely. None of that has been set in stone because things change almost daily when in the early stages of development. Creative Studio will put together a pitch before the estimators get to it sometimes for example. In this case they had a great package put together but it is way over budget. In my opinion the budget is light based on the potential of this IP as well as the potential of the most recent land concept. The main ride concept was cutting edge and would have required some additional R&D, an area that Uni is very weak in when compared to WDI.

zooey

Hard to compare the two. I'd definitely say however that the scope of the recent cuts will affect the main ride as well as potentially cutting out another attraction completely. None of that has been set in stone because things change almost daily when in the early stages of development. Creative Studio will put together a pitch before the estimators get to it sometimes for example. In this case they had a great package put together but it is way over budget. In my opinion the budget is light based on the potential of this IP as well as the potential of the most recent land concept. The main ride concept was cutting edge and would have required some additional R&D, an area that Uni is very weak in when compared to WDI.
Is it all Mario themed? How are they handling the differences in IP styles. I personally love Zelda but can't see how a high fantasy with medieval style can sit next to the cartoonish Mario style without it seeming muddled and confusing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've stayed almost exclusively on the monorail circuit for years, and service is frequently down. For about two years now, it has operated on a limited schedule.

The fact is, the trains were operated carelessly for about a decade, and maintenance needs have finally caught up to them. I don't expect monorails from the early 90s to function 24/7, and I'm certainly not a Pixie Duster. I do think it's a poor reason to overcharge for the hotels. And make no mistake; unless you're staying on a discount, those three monorail resorts are overpriced.

About a decade Hmm, That matches nicely with the reign of the Weatherman...

FigmentJedi

Is it all Mario themed? How are they handling the differences in IP styles. I personally love Zelda but can't see how a high fantasy with medieval style can sit next to the cartoonish Mario style without it seeming muddled and confusing.
Skyward Sword or Wind Waker's aesthetic could cooperate with Mario's pretty well, but of course, they could always use a Smash Bros-type justification for it.

Goofyernmost

I sure cannot disagree with any of that. The machines are old and with the high mileage they are breaking down. Anyone with a working brain cell knows that, it's to bad that Disney doesn't hire executives with working brain cells or the ability to see past today. As for the hotels... with or without a monorail there isn't a damn thing in WDW that isn't overpriced. Nothing!

djlaosc

The resort looks amazing. From the lovely yellow exterior to the brighter reds, blues and golds used in the halls and rooms to the concierge club that has taken the space of the resort's shop (yes, imagine a Disney resort that currently has NO shop at all ... don't worry as they are replacing the current lobby bar with one in the next 18 months, but for now not even a kiosk to sell you a Coke or a collectable pin!)

Explains why we couldn't find the shop when we went in for a visit in October. We wandered around all of the hotels while we were there and it was the only one where we couldn't find the shop - they could do with taking it off their map.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom