The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Mike S

I'd take Eisner back in a second as CEO.
image.jpeg

doctornick

The walk from the Anaheim parking lot looks like it will be no worse than the "you are so close staying on property" walk from the Paradise Pier Hotel to the Esplenade. Maybe they should install a walking sidewalk through the course of DTD?

alphac2005

Yeah Eisner and Wells. Wells and Eisner. Kinda a combo pack.

Yup. Wells gave Eisner the balance to allow Eisner to focus on the creative side that he really was talented at. When that balance was off and that ego wasn't in check, no thank you. Disneyland fans need to only see the name Paul Pressler to see how far off the deep end Eisner had gone in the latter years.

BrianLo

After riding both Mystic Manor and Ratatouille in a 3 months span, I feel both served the same purpose while taking whole different directions art wise. Quality wise, I am probably the only person in the world to not have be blown away by Mystic Manor and I would put Ratatouille on the same level.

Wow, this really makes me doubly upset that I cannot give my honest opinion to chime in! I am still avoiding any video of the ride despite the fact I'll realistically wait a couple more years before going back to DLP. Interesting to hear that someone would put Ratatouille so high.

BrianLo

Conflicting info from a trusted insider on OU. Guess we'll see what Spirit says.

I am not sure I always trust that particular individual fully, because they seem to have a very narrow mindset of interpretation when it comes to Universal. Even real inside information is subject to interpretation (rose-coloured glasses and all).

No need for name calling, but I am very disappointed with the way they treated you, so I am surprised you would be so on board with their word as gospel.

I truly hope the project is great and still remain optimistic that cuts are always true of any project and this one in particular can still turn out great! Plus, the avoidance of screens is still very good news in my opinion.

MerlinTheGoat

Wow, OU really went on the attack didn't they? Nasty stuff. I wonder who is right. I'm inclined to believe whylightbulb until given a reason not to. He has a good track record on both Disney and Universal attractions, including his preliminary comments about how screen heavy Gringotts would be. It even disappointed some people apparently, Universal fanboys were touting it as the second coming, some even take offense to people who don't go crazy over it.

Good to hear that Nintendo will be less screen centric. Surprised by that. But as a gamer and Nintendo fan myself, i'm very glad that they're going with more physical scenery. I stare at a screen quite enough when actually playing the games, it would be nice to see those characters and environments in real physical space. Sounds like the headliner is supposed to be Mario Kart. With some additional rides as well (heard rumors of a Donkey Kong Country Mine ride).

As for the Disney news, well as always i'm cautious about getting too excited. Iger and other execs have a history of scapegoating people into becoming fall guys. I wonder if this will spell a better era for WDI, or if it's yet another case of setting someone up to fail. WDI may create ideas and pitch them to be built, but the bean counters still have to approve the ideas and budget. I don't know for sure but if they weren't happy with Weis then I imagine they could just refuse his ideas and/or interfere with his work. Hold his position for ransom in order to force him out if they wanted.

I'm also hoping the other changes in management means maintenance improvements particularly for WDW. I'm unclear whether those will have an impact on the guest experience.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Wow, OU really went on the attack didn't they? Nasty stuff.

We don't have good verbiage for it yet, but it's a really unfortunate change that I've witnessed over the years. Some members of the Universal community have actually developed into the 'Pixie Dust-esque' mentality. Someone feel free to name it!

All the signs are there: Universal has their own Pixie Dusters who have a melt down at the mere suggestion or attempt at rational discussion that everything is not always 'perfect'.

I understand the scales have always been imbalanced and it's hard to switch from the defensive role that you've always had to adopt to be a fan in the past of Universal, but I'm afraid...

MerlinTheGoat

We don't have good verbiage for it yet, but it's a really unfortunate change that I've witnessed over the years. Some members of the Universal community have actually developed into the 'Pixie Dust-esque' mentality. Someone feel free to name it!

All the signs are there: Universal has their own Pixie Dusters who have a melt down at the mere suggestion or attempt at rational discussion that everything is not always 'perfect'.

I understand the scales have always been imbalanced and it's hard to switch from the defensive role that you've always had to adopt to be a fan in the past of Universal, but I'm afraid...
Hm, well if Disney's term is pixie dust, how about Floo Powder for Universal?

Captain Neo

I'd take Eisner back in a second as CEO.

Eisner is the one that started this mess in the first place. Underfunding attractions, Strategic Planning, cutting quality in favor of the bottomline, etc. all began under his watch about twenty years ago. So I don't understand where your sentiment is coming from. If anything things have slightly improved under Iger.

ryguy

Eisner also loved building parks that were incomplete/half built. Corporate scam that screws the customer. I understand he made the company money but don't like the way he went about it. Even though I don't like him as a leader, I think he does love the company. So I guess there is something to be said for that.

whylightbulb

Wow, OU really went on the attack didn't they? Nasty stuff. I wonder who is right. I'm inclined to believe whylightbulb until given a reason not to. He has a good track record on both Disney and Universal attractions, including his preliminary comments about how screen heavy Gringotts would be. It even disappointed some people apparently, Universal fanboys were touting it as the second coming, some even take offense to people who don't go crazy over it.

Good to hear that Nintendo will be less screen centric. Surprised by that. But as a gamer and Nintendo fan myself, i'm very glad that they're going with more physical scenery. I stare at a screen quite enough when actually playing the games, it would be nice to see those characters and environments in real physical space. Sounds like the headliner is supposed to be Mario Kart. With some additional rides as well (heard rumors of a Donkey Kong Country Mine ride).

As for the Disney news, well as always i'm cautious about getting too excited. Iger and other execs have a history of scapegoating people into becoming fall guys. I wonder if this will spell a better era for WDI, or if it's yet another case of setting someone up to fail. WDI may create ideas and pitch them to be built, but the bean counters still have to approve the ideas and budget. I don't know for sure but if they weren't happy with Weis then I imagine they could just refuse his ideas and/or interfere with his work. Hold his position for ransom in order to force him out if they wanted.

I'm also hoping the other changes in management means maintenance improvements particularly for WDW. I'm unclear whether those will have an impact on the guest experience.
I've always been, in my humble opinion, fair and balanced when it comes to posting regarding the inner workings of both Universal Creative and WDI. They both have their faults as well as their strengths.

I took a look at the posts from Orlando United and it seems I have obviously struck a nerve. The first thing I can say in response to the criticisms is that everything I post comes directly from either first-hand experience if there are enough other souls on that particular project and I don't have to worry about getting myself or others in trouble, or I reveal something on this board through another poster if I feel like the information is known by too few and it could be traced back to me.

There was a post on Orlando United that went through some of my posting history proving how accurate it is most of the time. I appreciate the time this person took to research those posts and here are a few others:

While everyone else was saying that the murder she wrote soundstage was turning into a haunted attraction I revealed that transformers was coming.

Nintendo was an example of information I did not feel comfortable sharing before the announcement because of the limited number of people involved at the time. The announcement came way before UNIVERSAL wanted to reveal it however they were getting pressure from Nintendo due to the announcement of other projects at the time and they didn't want to be left out.

There were too many items to talk about regarding Diagon Alley but A cursory glance at previous posts will prove the point. There are a few "insiders" on these boards that can verify these things.

I'm not sure where the criticism for my comments on 340 are coming from but everything I have said is 100% accurate. Show scenes were cut at the last minute and the few scenes that remain in some cases were reduced in scope. The main AA looks amazing and it should be a decent ride even though it will be a little short for my taste. The one thing it has going for it is Mike West. Mike is a great guy and a worthy producer, one of the few real talents at Creative.

Yes I bring up budget cuts often. I report them as they happen and things are extremely fluid from day to day with these projects. I don't have a problem with budget cuts in general as they are a necessary evil sometimes but what I do have a problem with is how often the reason for them is ineptitude when it comes to Universal Creative. I have gone into detail in other posts regarding this subject so I'll leave it at that for now.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom