The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2: International Edition - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would say @MonorailRed should do a review, but I already know what her's will be.

pthththt.gif

Voxel

President of Progress City
Also, I want to apologize for all the times I said "Dis-eh-ney" on the Radio Disney spots.

I have no idea why I kept saying that. I don't normally do it. Guess it felt right in the "announcer" voice...

I was going to go back and fix it, but ran out of time.
I would have done something like that, but sadly I lost my audio equipment over the years, I need to rebuild.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would have done something like that, but sadly I lost my audio equipment over the years, I need to rebuild.
I recorded it using my iPhone 5 and the Voice Memo app. That's why sometimes the volume is a bit different (depending on how closely I held the phone to my mouth when recording, I found that about 10 inches away was best...but didn't always do that).

Then I used iTunes to browse the files in Explorer and copy them over the Pinnacle Studio for the final edit, then Wondershare to convert the Pinnacle mp4 to an mp3 and an ogg file for the site.

I don't have a microphone on my computer, and the webcam audio recording sounded terrible.

RMichael21

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen! It's time for my review/critiques!
And Hint: A sneak peak at my judging technique for my competition!

Let's begin!

Team Land (@Zweiland and @englanddg )- I'll start off by saying that I really enjoyed your proposal this week. It flowed very well overall and I liked the overall concept. For the main thread, I don't think you utilized the post well. Remember what Team Land did for Challenge 8? You should have added something creative to flow into the website. All you said was: These past few weeks we created a cruise ship class for Disney, here's our website, go to it. That was definitely something you guys could have done better. Now, I'll give you a run-down of the website, page by page.

Overall Website Design: Overall, I liked it. I enjoyed how you used the black and gold DCL colors over the blue, but it came off as a tad tacky with the black. Also, the quick links on the bottom were nice but mostly hidden on the blue background and so close to the bottom. Finally, I found the font that you used was pretty tacky as well, just basic Arial font. Especially for a "around the world" challenge, you should have included an "around the world" font.

Home Page:
I enjoyed how you included the challenge summary, nice for someone who hasn't been following the competition as much as we have. I also liked the picture you included on it, a nice night photo with a hidden Mickey firework. :)

Intro: Same thing with the font, very basic. I loved the video as well, especially the intro with the lighthouse. I thought it was very well done. Other then that, no other comments.

Specs: I loved almost everything here, I thought it was very nice for you to include them. However, I feel like the specific nights, events and areas should have been in a separate section or at least under a different sub-title.

MDCE: I LOVED how you included this, it was a very nice touch. The only downside to this is it would be very expensive, but maybe because it's a new ship and MM+ has already been tested it won't fail as much. Also, I wished you could have gone into detail about the iPad and iTouch device idea. Would there be a deposit guests would pay that they would get back if they returned them in pristine condition?

Decks 1 & 2: I loved everything here! I really enjoyed the Cirque du Soleil theatre and the 20K Leagues Under the Sea restaurant! Great job!

Decks 4-16: Overall, the rest of the decks were great, and I loved the detail you put into them!

Itineraries: The itineraries were great, however, it was a little hard to follow at some points.

Summary: A nice little addition, however it was kind of unnecessary. It was very minimal and just stated: Thanks for reading and book your cruise today! Also, the picture was very... odd... Why use a clearly older photo, when you can use a nice new one, or a piece of custom art.

Artwork: Z, this has your name written all over it. I LOVED how you included the art for each deck, I just wish it had a key.

Overall, Team Land had a great proposal, however, I feel small little mistakes have hurt them quite a bit these past 3 weeks!

Team Sea (@Voxel and @MonorailRed )- I'll start this one off by saying that I liked how you included a short intro on the main post, however it seemed like you just put whatever didn't fit into the site onto the main thread. Like almost everyone else, I thought it would be weird to have him as the statue in the atrium. Alright, onto the rest...

Overall Website Design: Tacky was written all over this. I'm going to be straight up and say that. It really wasn't thought out well and I feel you guys could have done so much better with this. Also, like Team Land, the font was too tacky to be true. Other then that, I felt that the site was easy to follow and I really enjoyed the side bar instead of the arrows to click through, which was a nice change. However, I also wasn't very fond of the slide show, it was easy to use, but it just cluttered up the site. Overall, the website was tacky yet simple, which is better in my opinion, then very fancy yet complicated.

Decks 1-15: I loved the way you did the different decks, however as @englanddg said, some of them are COMPLETE rip offs of the Disney Dream, which just doesn't scream originality to me at all. I also enjoyed the summary of the staterooms, but you should have gone into more detail about the theme in my opinion, as that's what the guests are staying in after all for up to a week at a time. Also, I feel like you threw the Pre-Teens under the bus by not giving them a club.

Stats: Where are the stats! ;)

Other comments: Finally, I would have liked if you had included itineraries and home ports, but I guess that's Wishful thinking and I guess I'm not dreaming in COLOR for this one. (See what I did there? :D). Adding onto that, I also find that the names of the ship don't really relate to each other at all. I mean, there's the argument that Dream and Fantasy and Magic and Wonder don't do together, but I still feel that they do.

Overall, Team Sea did a fantastic job, but I feel their presentation hurt them this week. 3 weeks. ;)

In sum, I feel that, while both teams did a SUPERB job, it was TEAM LAND that did superior. And no, I'm not being biased. ;)

Voxel

President of Progress City
I recorded it using my iPhone 5 and the Voice Memo app. That's why sometimes the volume is a bit different (depending on how closely I held the phone to my mouth when recording, I found that about 10 inches away was best...but didn't always do that).

Then I used iTunes to browse the files in Explorer and copy them over the Pinnacle Studio for the final edit, then Wondershare to convert the Pinnacle mp4 to an mp3 and an ogg file for the site.

I don't have a microphone on my computer, and the webcam audio recording sounded terrible.
Really. I will have to give the iPhone mic more credit,

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Let's begin!

Team Land (@Zweiland and @englanddg )- I'll start off by saying that I really enjoyed your proposal this week. It flowed very well overall and I liked the overall concept. For the main thread, I don't think you utilized the post well. Remember what Team Land did for Challenge 8? You should have added something creative to flow into the website. All you said was: These past few weeks we created a cruise ship class for Disney, here's our website, go to it. That was definitely something you guys could have done better. Now, I'll give you a run-down of the website, page by page.

Overall Website Design: Overall, I liked it. I enjoyed how you used the black and gold DCL colors over the blue, but it came off as a tad tacky with the black. Also, the quick links on the bottom were nice but mostly hidden on the blue background and so close to the bottom. Finally, I found the font that you used was pretty tacky as well, just basic Arial font. Especially for a "around the world" challenge, you should have included an "around the world" font.

Home Page:
I enjoyed how you included the challenge summary, nice for someone who hasn't been following the competition as much as we have. I also liked the picture you included on it, a nice night photo with a hidden Mickey firework. :)

Intro: Same thing with the font, very basic. I loved the video as well, especially the intro with the lighthouse. I thought it was very well done. Other then that, no other comments.

Specs: I loved almost everything here, I thought it was very nice for you to include them. However, I feel like the specific nights, events and areas should have been in a separate section or at least under a different sub-title.

MDCE: I LOVED how you included this, it was a very nice touch. The only downside to this is it would be very expensive, but maybe because it's a new ship and MM+ has already been tested it won't fail as much. Also, I wished you could have gone into detail about the iPad and iTouch device idea. Would there be a deposit guests would pay that they would get back if they returned them in pristine condition?

Decks 1 & 2: I loved everything here! I really enjoyed the Cirque du Soleil theatre and the 20K Leagues Under the Sea restaurant! Great job!

Decks 4-16: Overall, the rest of the decks were great, and I loved the detail you put into them!

Itineraries: The itineraries were great, however, it was a little hard to follow at some points.

Summary: A nice little addition, however it was kind of unnecessary. It was very minimal and just stated: Thanks for reading and book your cruise today! Also, the picture was very... odd... Why use a clearly older photo, when you can use a nice new one, or a piece of custom art.

Artwork: Z, this has your name written all over it. I LOVED how you included the art for each deck, I just wish it had a key.

Overall, Team Land had a great proposal, however, I feel small little mistakes have hurt them quite a bit these past 3 weeks!

Team Sea (@Voxel and @MonorailRed )- I'll start this one off by saying that I liked how you included a short intro on the main post, however it seemed like you just put whatever didn't fit into the site onto the main thread. Like almost everyone else, I thought it would be weird to have him as the statue in the atrium. Alright, onto the rest...

Overall Website Design: Tacky was written all over this. I'm going to be straight up and say that. It really wasn't thought out well and I feel you guys could have done so much better with this. Also, like Team Land, the font was too tacky to be true. Other then that, I felt that the site was easy to follow and I really enjoyed the side bar instead of the arrows to click through, which was a nice change. However, I also wasn't very fond of the slide show, it was easy to use, but it just cluttered up the site. Overall, the website was tacky yet simple, which is better in my opinion, then very fancy yet complicated.

Decks 1-15: I loved the way you did the different decks, however as @englanddg said, some of them are COMPLETE rip offs of the Disney Dream, which just doesn't scream originality to me at all. I also enjoyed the summary of the staterooms, but you should have gone into more detail about the theme in my opinion, as that's what the guests are staying in after all for up to a week at a time. Also, I feel like you threw the Pre-Teens under the bus by not giving them a club.

Other comments: Finally, I would have liked if you had included itineraries and home ports, but I guess that's Wishful thinking and I guess I'm not dreaming in COLOR for this one. (See what I did there? :D). Adding onto that, I also find that the names of the ship don't really relate to each other at all. I mean, there's the argument that Dream and Fantasy and Magic and Wonder don't do together, but I still feel that they do.

Overall, Team Sea did a fantastic job, but I feel their presentation hurt them this week. 3 weeks. ;)

In sum, I feel that, while both teams did a SUPERB job, it was TEAM LAND that did superior. And no, I'm not being biased. ;)
Interesting observation about the fonts.

And, I think it's the white font on black that makes you dislike the black color (just a guess, because I, frankly, feel the same, and the design of it was my doing).

As a side note, that is the EXACT black of the hulls, and the EXACT gold. Just so you know there was attention paid to that.

What makes fonts difficult is finding one that allows, especially on a dark background, for easy reading. You obviously want a sans-serif (if you don't know what a serif is, google it). Arial is the tried and true, though MS has been moving to Lucida lately.

I played with both, I tried bolding it (that looked REALLY bad)...

And, in the end, just decided to stick with tried and true.

One advantage of doing it with images or in a program like Flash for these sorts of applications is that you don't end up with the rough edge "look" on the fonts, as they will blend and blur on the edges, wheras HTML doesn't allow for that.

As a result, I think this ties into your observation that the white on black fonts make it look a bit like a "console" display, and not as visually appealing as it could have been. And, I agree.

Just not sure with the time limits what else could have been done. There are only a few web safe fonts, and while you can use css to use a custom font (I've done it in this competition, actually, for LOTR and a few other things), it's adding complication that didn't necessarily need to be there given the time constraints.

Very interesting points you made! Thanks!

Zweiland

Let's begin!

Home Page:

For the font, you call it both "basic" and "tacky". Kind of opposites. ;) Although I agree, something was off.

As the site included the video, it was an introduction by itself. It would have been redundant to put anything else into the main post. The site WAS our presentation.

There was going to be a legend... but... time constraints. Sorry bout that.

The summary was necessary because it's supposed to be a marketing site, as well as a detailed rundown of the ship.

And quick note about Team Sea's atrium statue: I actually liked it... a lot! I guess I'm in the minority there.

Thanks for your review RM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom