The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2: International Edition - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Like the last few reviews, this is just gonna be stream of consciousness as I read through it.

* Love what you did with the Sea Logo. That's cool!

* (review delayed due to the fact I now have to dance to the awesome steel drums)

* We came very close to naming one of our ships the Disney Wish. In fact, early drafts had that name. Great minds, eh?

* Nitpick...but Donald already has a boat. The Dream.

Admiral%20Donald%2020130625-l-L.jpg

Likewise, the other ships are:
Magic = Mickey
Wonder = Arial
Fantasy = Minnie

* I like the idea of theming one ship off the 60s and 70s technicolor Disney...though I'm not sure about using Kirk Douglas...it just feels a bit, off, considering all the other ships use cartoon characters. But, certainly out of the box thinking there!

* FantaSEA is just really well done. Great idea! And you got to do your animation @MonorailRed ! <grin>

* Also, doing the video was a great way to present the concept, rather than just talking about it. I could picture this actually working on a ship.

* Wow, this show is great. Some amazing artistic direction here. Nice editing, nice choices, great use of color. LOVE IT!

* Also, projection shows like this would work extremely well because there is pretty much no light pollution out at sea (which an at sea night is when I'd suspect this show would happen).

* Not sure about it happening in the Lobby, but top of the ship works great!

* Had to do some Daft Punk, eh? Yeah, I used two of their songs as well (one from Tron).

* During the Tron section, not sure what video editor you used, but I would have gone with more rapid cutscene transitions, to give it a "strobe" feel. iMovie and Pinnacle can both do that.

* Who would have thought that I'd get an emotional response watching a mock up of a Disney show...

I really shouldn't cut onions at my desk...it leads to sniffles.

giphy.gif

* The site is straightforward. It's functional, but I wouldn't exactly call it aesthetically pleasing. I don't care for the slideshow feature, nor the choice of background image either.

* Deck 1 is a straight up utilitarian Deck. Nice inclusion. Adding more tender docks is a good thing. You'll see them back up 2 and 3 deep waiting to dock with the Fantasy, so there's clearly a limitation there.

* I really enjoyed Deck 2. Liked everything about it...so I won't gush on about it.

* Funny, we did restaurants, but specifically veered away from menus. Whoever did that one did great. Your getting better. Remy approves!

tumblr_ndklbdp3Ao1rdqbfro1_500.gif

* The Blueberrilicious is disgusting (I've had it, and I know where you got it from)

* Your theater layout on Deck 4 is exactly the same as the Dream Class ship.

* In fact, that whole deck is a rip from the Dream Class. <wink>

* Deck 5 is Deck 4 (check your slideshow)

* Dining, not Dinning. It's all over the place. (nitpick...but...it seems like I have words I constantly mis-spell, someone on your team does as well!)

* I liked the gimmicky rooms as a concept, but wouldn't over do it. How many of them are there?

* Not much else to say until Deck 11

* Yeah, we should have known we'd both bring back the Adventurer's Club.

* Between the Dish is a neat concept.

* LOVE Club 28!

* Constellations is nice, too. But the Purple Planet reminds me of cough syrup (or should I say sizzurb?)

* Private Eye Lounge, nice.

* I liked all the offerings, and that you varied them per ship. Good job!

* Not much to say about Deck 12, it's solid.

* Deck 13 and 14...is Deck 13 and 14.

* Deck 15 is Vibe. Not to many twists there. Where is the pre-teen club?

Overall, as expected, a strong and entertaining presentation.

This is gonna be close!
I may have forgot about the existence of Pre-Teen.. And the Dinning might have been my mistake.

I agree with the website. I am not happy with it, but it was the best way to showcase the information. I was gonna do more because I was expecting my new hosting situation to be resolved by then but sadly it wasn't :(

The menu's this time around were mostly all Red, I only designed one of the Restaurants.

We never specify the room number and types, though in our notes the concept was to have one floor dedicated to various "themed" rooms and that is all.

What can I say about the theatre layout. It makes sense, You can't raise it because of the possibility of more motion, the lower the better.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I may have forgot about the existence of Pre-Teen.. And the Dinning might have been my mistake.

I agree with the website. I am not happy with it, but it was the best way to showcase the information. I was gonna do more because I was expecting my new hosting situation to be resolved by then but sadly it wasn't :(

The menu's this time around were mostly all Red, I only designed one of the Restaurants.

We never specify the room number and types, though in our notes the concept was to have one floor dedicated to various "themed" rooms and that is all.

What can I say about the theatre layout. It makes sense, You can't raise it because of the possibility of more motion, the lower the better.
Ours were in the lower decks as well, same reasoning.

I just noted that your layout of 4 was nearly an exactly clone of the Dream class.

Which, isn't a criticism, per se, because, as you said, it makes sense! <grin>

Voxel

Ours were in the lower decks as well, same reasoning.

I just noted that your layout of 4 was nearly an exactly clone of the Dream class.

Which, isn't a criticism, per se, because, as you said, it makes sense! <grin>
I was hoping to swap things around more, but in my opinion its really hard to improve a Design is already brilliant, that's why we did alot of rearranging. It retrospect I should have added more elevators. Whoops.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I was hoping to swap things around more, but in my opinion its really hard to improve a Design is already brilliant, that's why we did alot of rearranging. It retrospect I should have added more elevators. Whoops.
The Dream Class ships in particular are very well done. So, yeah.

We ended up taking some inspiration from the Allure, with an open canyon design.

We had meant to put a color code description into the site, but just ran out of time. The dark grey areas are under a deck. The darker grey areas are "backstage". The light grey areas have a view of the sky...

That's why the "puzzle piece" style as you get to the higher decks. And why we have "Garden View" rooms.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yea.. We don't wanna talk about that.
It wouldn't have been so bad had I not been out of town last weekend...

Literally what we have was mostly done this past week.

Also, you shouldn't feel bad about the site. It's a solid site. Easy to navigate and communicates what it needs to, and while not as "pretty" as it could have been (imho), it's also certainly not ugly or hard to read.

Voxel

It wouldn't have been so bad had I not been out of town last weekend...

Literally what we have was mostly done this past week.

Also, you shouldn't feel bad about the site. It's a solid site. Easy to navigate and communicates what it needs to, and while not as "pretty" as it could have been (imho), it's also certainly not ugly or hard to read.
That was my priority was to make it as easy to navigate, we made a mad dash away from the maping when red said she was having issues with the image maps. I couldn't find a way to make mapping work in percentages.

Voxel

That was my priority was to make it as easy to navigate, we made a mad dash away from the maping when red said she was having issues with the image maps. I couldn't find a way to make mapping work in percentages.
If I spend more time in JS I prolly could have but time was not on my side.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If I spend more time in JS I prolly could have but time was not on my side.
That's why I do the layers the way I do. If Zwei changes an image, even though the code is ugly as all heck, it's easy for me to move a marker.

I ran into that exact issue last year in the finals...

We were going to have a site, but had to scrap it at the last minute. Same sort of issues.

Though, I think @MonorailRed has gotten better about saving drafts and using layers. :p

Voxel

That's why I do the layers the way I do. If Zwei changes an image, even though the code is ugly as all heck, it's easy for me to move a marker.

I ran into that exact issue last year in the finals...

We were going to have a site, but had to scrap it at the last minute. Same sort of issues.

Though, I think @MonorailRed has gotten better about saving drafts and using layers. :p
I guess it times to get my but moving on the code I have been avoiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom