Good question!

Out of all of the World Showcase countries, I have visited 6 in "real life"-

China
Germany
Italy
UK
Canada
France

Which is the most accurate? Of those I've traveled to I would say Germany feels the most like what I remember. It is not my favorite pavilion however.

Overall I think that Morocco feels the most like being in that country. Morocco, Mexico, Norway and Japan are my favorite pavilions.

GrumpyFan24

I would have to say that Italy, Japan, and Norway are the favorites. Most authentic would maybe be Italy (yes disney of course makes them all look better than what they really are)

Ceekling

I've traveled to Canada, UK, France, Italy, Japan, and Mexico in real life, but I think Morocco is the only pavilion that really makes you feel like you are there because you can wind your way back through the walkways and really feel like you've left Epcot behind.

The Japan pavilion is a close second, if you walk up into the garden on the left.

nc_disneyfreak

i would say...

Italy is pretty convincing...ive only been there so thats all i have to go on...i think all the countries are believable...if you get off the main path that is...tuck back into the nooks and crannies of each country and your good to go i say...

Bolna

Japan, Mexico, china, Germany to me are the most authentic.

Germany, Italy and China :)

Of those I've traveled to I would say Germany feels the most like what I remember.

I find it interesting that Germany came up a few times - since I am German.

I am quite torn whether I find it authentic or not.

The buildings I think are a very good representation of Southern Germany. In that I think it does a very good job. But it totally leaves out Northern Germany. So it only is authentic for a part of a country with very distince regional cultures.

And then it lost a huge part of its authenticity with the introduction of the Karamell Küche as those treats being sold there really have only one thing to do with Germany: the sponsor is a German company. But actually Werther's Original are more or less the only caramel candy you can find here. There is a lot of candy which I think would represent Germany very well, but certainly not caramel!

I still think they ought to have a real German bakery there instead with cakes, other baked goods, German sandwiches etc. I am sure it would be a huge hit and it would be authentic!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
None of them....

This.

I've been to most of the countries on display, and they are an American idealization of the country based mostly on specific historical and architectural landmarks with some stereotypical theming, but none are authentic, and none are representative of the country as a whole.

MarkTwain

I find it interesting that Germany came up a few times - since I am German.

I am quite torn whether I find it authentic or not.

The buildings I think are a very good representation of Southern Germany. In that I think it does a very good job. But it totally leaves out Northern Germany. So it only is authentic for a part of a country with very distince regional cultures.

And then it lost a huge part of its authenticity with the introduction of the Karamell Küche as those treats being sold there really have only one thing to do with Germany: the sponsor is a German company. But actually Werther's Original are more or less the only caramel candy you can find here. There is a lot of candy which I think would represent Germany very well, but certainly not caramel!

I still think they ought to have a real German bakery there instead with cakes, other baked goods, German sandwiches etc. I am sure it would be a huge hit and it would be authentic!

This is true for several of the World Showcase countries. The UK pavilion focuses mostly on England, and not Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland to the same degree. Italy focuses mostly on Venice, even though Venice is arguably the "least Italian" of the Italian provinces (in that it was the most independent and culturally unique when it joined the Italian Republic - even today the city still has its own language). France, of course, represents Paris alone.

I think what is worth noting about the World Showcase pavilions is that they don't necessarily strive for completely perfect depictions of the countries they represent. They sort of pick some of the most iconic elements of each country, regardless of where they're located or how truly prevalent they are - Japanese pagodas, Mayan pyramids (only in the Yucatan), Bavarian German architecture (only in the south), American colonial city halls (how many cities actually have these? Anyone besides Philadelphia?).

That said, it's worth noting that all of the pavilions are accurate to a degree, in that all of the elements represented in the pavilion are indigenous to that country - but like was said above, it just depends how far you're willing to look in that country to find it. Any visitor to Berlin, or anywhere else in northern Germany, will gladly attest (as I will) that you won't find anything like the German pavilion up there. But there are some towns in Bavaria where the pavilion is pretty dead-on. The average visitor to Japan who spends his entire stay in Tokyo would probably tell you that Japan looks nothing like the Japanese pavilion - but I imagine that there are still plenty of more rural, traditional places in Japan that look just like the pavilion. Much of Marrakesh looks just like the Morocco pavilion, but Casablanca sure doesn't. Every pavilion is, paradoxically, both very accurate and a spectacular failure at capturing the country involved. Weird, huh?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I've only been to Italy in real life.

I agree that the countries aren't exactly 'authentic' but are more of an idealistic representation of those places.
With that being said, I think they do a great job of immersing you in the experience -- the foods and music are pretty authentic and most of the CMs in those countries are "off the boat", and the general over look and feel is done with some attention to detail.

I would say Morocco impresses me most with the UK and Paris pulling up 2nd.

majorrfb

In Epcot, my vote goes to Italy and France. I have been to both countries 2 to 3 times, and as a representation of the two countries, they do an excellent job and experience for the visitors. :sohappy:

Texas84

Japan is definitely "Americanized" but the CMs give it an authentic feel. I wish they would go more authentic. Get some audience participation at the restaurants by introducing traditions and phrases. Make the area more of a matsuri (festival) experience. Japan has so much potential.

AvengersWDW

Banned
Japan is definitely "Americanized" but the CMs give it an authentic feel. I wish they would go more authentic. Get some audience participation at the restaurants by introducing traditions and phrases. Make the area more of a matsuri (festival) experience. Japan has so much potential.

Japan is interesting since i think Disney only owns the QSR location and the rest is owned by an outside company.

acishere

I've been to only Canada, UK, and Mexico. None of their World Showcase counterparts match the places I saw there. The only one that come close is the inside market of Mexico reminded me of some of the tourist driven areas in Cancun.

Morocco and France do the best job of putting you in the moment and making it feel like you were teleported to the ideal version of the locales.

The only thing missing in Morocco is a group of Nazis running through the alley chasing after Harrison Ford or Humphrey Bogart. Otherwise its exactly how you imagine the place.

The France pavilion reminds me of the ideal 1920s Paris that the main character in Midnight in Paris fawns over. The times I've sat there and had a pastry, I almost forget I'm in Florida. I could totally expect a car to pull up and take me to see F Scott Fitzgerald, Dali, and a Parisian flapper.

Banksy

I love China and Japan. Yeah i think the UK bit. It's pretty but i think they should build a mini big ben or london eye :)

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Big Ben or London Eye!

I love China and Japan. Yeah i think the UK bit. It's pretty but i think they should build a mini big ben or london eye :)

Yeh,That would be a great idea,that's why I said in my thread that the UK does not represent anything to do with my country Scotland,nor Ireland,or Wales.Disneys UK represents England.P.S. I would love to see a statue of William Wallace right outside the Rose and Crown.:ROFLOL:

The Empress Lilly

As for the UK pavilion being mostly English based: I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Most of the countries of WS are big and diverse. Choices had to be made, only a limited bit could be respresented. Limited in time and geography and regions and periods covered.

Germany is a big federal state too, but only a handful of constituent lands are present in the pavilion. Most of Italy is not presented, a southerner will feel left out. The same goes for Canada - while Québec is present, it took them twenty five years to get a song with the French bits being actually remotely understandable to French Canadians.

(You can always vote for Scottish independence in the upcoming referendum - then pester Salmon to get you a pavilion of your own!)

i think they should build a mini big ben or london eye :)
A bonsai London eye...I love it! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom