The Most Authentic Country At Epcot?

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Which country at Epcot makes you feel like your actually there.Out of the eleven,only three I've never visited,that's Japan,China, and Norway.Well there is only one that doesn't make me feel like iam there,and that's UK,sorry folks back home,it does not represent Scotland,Ireland,or Wales.My vote is tied between Italy,Morocco,and Mexico.:wave:

Aside from America, the only country on display at the Showcase that I've visited was France. They did a pretty good job there. At least, in looking like Paris

The Empress Lilly

WS is a work of unmitigated genius!

None of the WS countries look remotely like the real thing they represent. Despite that, all of the WS countries are immediately and unmistakably recognisable as the countries they represent.
amour4.gif

If I have to pick one, I think Morocco does a pretty convincing job.

The Empress Lilly

Aside from America, the only country on display at the Showcase that I've visited was France. They did a pretty good job there. At least, in looking like Paris
When I'm in WS France, I order a cheese plate, sit outside, and dream I'm in Paris. It works!

(And when I'm in Paris, I dream I'm at Disney.
Hmm...whaddup with that?)

rsoxguy

I know it's not in the EPCOT World Showcase, but the men's room in the Liberty Tree Tavern always makes me feel like I'm in a third world nation. Does that count?

BrittanyRose428

I think Mexico (except for the pyramid because I've never been to one) feels pretty accurate, somewhat Americanized but still believable. Italy seems pretty believable too.

KCheatle

I know it's not in the EPCOT World Showcase, but the men's room in the Liberty Tree Tavern always makes me feel like I'm in a third world nation. Does that count?

When are we going to get a "like" button!! Haha!

I also have never visited many of the countries. But, I have visited France before and I would say that if you go back in that little area where they have the pastry shop, it does actually feel like France. The pastry shop itself is very similar to the shops in Paris with the walk-through type setting - not eat in- and everything is served room temp or cold. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just the way things are served in France. And then you eat outside on those little tables. It's not the most romatic part of France, but it's pretty accurate I think.

I'd have to agree that I don't think the UK is an accurate representation. It's like a story-book representation. I lived in London and Oxford for a little while, and the way the UK is in Epcot is not the way things are in either London or Oxford anyway. Maybe 100 years ago? But, definitely not today.

The Mexico market place is pretty good I guess, but the markets in Mexico aren't really like they are in Epcot. They are much more crowded togehter and all in little rooms. The merchandise they sell is pretty accurate is what I'm getting at, but the feel of the space really isn't super accurate.

I think all of the countries are romantacized in a way. Which is good, because all of the countries represented have their pluses and minuses. American for example, does not show the slums of cities or have hot dog cart outside or a McDonald's to eat at even though that's probably more American. It shows a romantacized version of an East Coast colonial style building which is what people have personified American to be. I'd rather them show that I guess than the true America.

WDWFanatic

I just like morocco because I feel like im in an indiana jones movie. Its to bad most people miss all the little extras that are put into the pavillions because they are rushing thru.

jcldtrek

Japan, Mexico, china, Germany to me are the most authentic. Paris in Epcot is the clean looking version, trust me the real Paris reminds you of new York city lol no offense. Italy is almost there , they need some canals like in venis. Canada is bland, uk is ehhhh so so. Morocco is pretty nice though, that's iffy

Florida_is_hot

The are all Disney knockoffs ..... none beneath the facade that Disney lets is guests see resemble any country.

Been to 6 of the countries in real life they are big, dirty, noisy ..... they are countries.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Big!Dirty!Noisy!

The are all Disney knockoffs ..... none beneath the facade that Disney lets is guests see resemble any country.

Been to 6 of the countries in real life they are big, dirty, noisy ..... they are countries.

Hmm,What night club did you visit?:ROFLOL:Yes I agree,every country has a big,dirty,noisy side to it,but many if not all have a beautiful side as well.I won't go into it incase I start a world war.For example Athens is loud,noisy,and complete mayhem,but on the Greek isle of Santorini,it is beautiful,peaceful,and serenic.There's two sides to every country.:wave:

plaz10

I've never been to any of the countries (except Canada) but I think Morocco is probably the most accurate - as they sent people over to design the pavilion and it's extremely authentic. But again - its just a guess

I_heart_Tigger

The only country that I haven't actually been to that is in the showcase is China. Honestly I don't even think the intention is to make a pavilion that represents the current countries but more one that represents what we think of when we imagine that country.

I think of it more like a movie set - it is a facade that represents the traditional and easily recognizable parts of the country but it isn't meant to be a duplicate.

Take Norway for example, a vibrant, modern country with diverse and extraordinary architecture - the only Stave Church I saw was at the Norsk Folkemuseum. The pavilion would leave the impression that it's a gingerbread little town flanked by stave churches and trolls.

The pavilions remind me of all the "living history" museums that are around the world to show tourists what life used to be like here - it's a condensed version of a large country trapped in a nostagic time period that never actually existed.

And just a note for all the Canadians who complain about being represented by the lumberjack uniform - don't hate! Other girls have to stand outside wearing heels, pantyhose, crinolines, petticoats, skirts and aprons and I got to wear cargo shorts and a 3/4 sleeve shirt...I would also take the steel toed boots over dress shoes anyday :)

Cosmic Commando

I'd have to agree that I don't think the UK is an accurate representation. It's like a story-book representation. I lived in London and Oxford for a little while, and the way the UK is in Epcot is not the way things are in either London or Oxford anyway. Maybe 100 years ago? But, definitely not today.

It's funny you should mention that; I specifically remember reading somewhere that the imagineers had to look back in time because architecture has become so homogenized since the dawn of the jet age. So you're right. :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom