The Magic, The Memories and You! - show photos and more details

WDW FTW

My little timeline of opinions
Test Video/Announcement- I did not like the idea
A little bit more research- Liked the idea a little bit more just not the photos
Yesterday- Maybe this wont be a disaster ill wait and see
Today- WOW that was realllllllly good! Im sure its great in real life, they didnt use any cheesy transitions or power point-ish things. I can see taking out maybe 1 segment (though im not sure which) and adding one to perfect it, the fire thing i agree was awesome.
Did't see tinkerbell flying around though? i liked that in the test...
Still iffy on the pictures but it keeps guests around and im sure when your there you will like it cuz the music will be playing and what not. So im a fan of this, hope the event evolves over the next year. keep me updating wdw and thanks for the outro to that what a preshow to Wishes

nibblesandbits

The castle looks pretty awesome and I am surprised by the quality of the show, but still not a huge fan. I don't really care to see people I don't know up on the castle.
See, that was my thoughts originally.

Then I saw the show. What blew me away was it was so much more than just pictures. Matter of fact, the pictures seemed almost secondary. I was enjoying the lighting display and the effects so much more. (I mean you can't say that some of those effects weren't amazing!) And I also ignored a lot of the images because of that fact.

So, it wasn't about seeing people I didn't know on the castle as I originally thought..it was about the spectacle itself and that's what I ended up loving.

JustInTime

My little timeline of opinions
Test Video/Announcement- I did not like the idea
A little bit more research- Liked the idea a little bit more just not the photos
Yesterday- Maybe this wont be a disaster ill wait and see
Today- WOW that was realllllllly good! Im sure its great in real life, they didnt use any cheesy transitions or power point-ish things. I can see taking out maybe 1 segment (though im not sure which) and adding one to perfect it, the fire thing i agree was awesome.
Did't see tinkerbell flying around though? i liked that in the test...
Still iffy on the pictures but it keeps guests around and im sure when your there you will like it cuz the music will be playing and what not. So im a fan of this, hope the event evolves over the next year. keep me updating wdw and thanks for the outro to that what a preshow to Wishes

Tink was flying around! She was smaller and was making the bell sound. Eluding to the classic Tink. :)

I was very impressed with what I saw. I am sure it is even more impressive in person. With an art background I was more focused on the work that went into the whole production and how impressive it was, not so much focused on the home videos and the guest photos. Like most others on here, the end with Walt was my favorite part!

TP2000

Yeah before you jump too high....DL is getting this show (edited for their use of course) projected onto their "iasw" exterior.

I'm not sure it's going to be edited for Disneyland. I think both parks will get the same show, since this WDW show had lots of images of Disneyland attractions all throughout it.

Particularly during the "old fashioned" footage of the WDW show, that was pretty much all Disneyland pictures and home movies from the 1950's and 60's as there were images of people driving the original 1950's Autopia cars, 1960's Fantasyland was in there, etc., etc.

I think the same footage will be used at Disneyland, displayed differently on Small World. Either that, or they used a lot of Disneyland filler in the WDW show.

Disneyland will be using the Small World facade to stage this show when Small World comes back from it's rehab at the end of the month. It's something not unlike the Christmas Clock Show they've been doing every year after sundown, every 15 minutes after the clock goes off and tells the time.

Small World Holiday Lights to Projection Show
149-main_Full.jpg
689611646_72a394b951.jpg

WDW FTW

Holiday lights seems more Cinderella Castle-ish and this show does seem more Its a Small World (as far as the rainbow sections go and the pictures) but im pleased with what they have done.

ROEFan88

Based solely on the video, there are 3 parts of the show that really thrilled me:

1. The 'drawing' effect, with a white outline of the entire castle drawn, followed by bright, multi-coloured 'crayon'-effect sections. My jaw hit the floor - the effect just doesn't look possible!

2. The effect where it actually looks like someone's shining a massive flashlight over Cinderella Castle, with the beam picking up all the details of the structure and creating shadows as it moves from left to right and then back. Again, an unbelievable effect that I don't think I could even comprehend how they achieved!

3. A nifty effect at the end, just after the Walt clip - the CG fireworks firing up the surface of the castle up to the edges, with a real shell then being fired the rest of the way. A brilliantly-timed and seamless effect that can't help but raise a massive grin on my face!

Overall, I think the technology is utterly fantastic, and I like the show as it is now (I don't mind the photos, I just find them to be the most boring aspect of the show). But I salivate when I imagine how they could incorporate this tech in future shows!

scgustin

Look for Disney to keep the guest photos through this year (as it's their theme), but likely replace this part of the show next year with characters interacting with each other during the show.

Disney will be able to constantly add new effects to this show... which is the primary reason to be thrilled with what premiered last night.

coruscant

I loved the show, but as I said the only thing I don't like is the screen in front of the balcony of the Castle. Actually I don't know why they need that screen. They could use only the castle for the show, as they did at DLP or Tokyo. I remember seing wishes at DLP and the projections were not even closer to this ones but they didn't need a screen in front of the castle. Will it stay there during the day?

JMagicFink

how many projectors?

Anybody have an idea how many projectors Disney is using? I'm trying to figure out how many angles they have going there to get every part of the castle. It looks amazing in the you tube video! The only visible line between projector fields that I can see is halfway up the castle. It almost looks like a set is doing the bottom half, and another set is doing the top, not to mention the one that looks like it is behind the roof above the screened balcony.

I also wonder how often they will have to change their projector lamps...

robw1997

No, the screen will not be seen during the day. It is lifted up before the show using little crane-like objects painted to match the color of the castle.

They are using 16 projectors located around the Hub.

askmike1

Anybody have an idea how many projectors Disney is using? I'm trying to figure out how many angles they have going there to get every part of the castle. It looks amazing in the you tube video! The only visible line between projector fields that I can see is halfway up the castle. It almost looks like a set is doing the bottom half, and another set is doing the top, not to mention the one that looks like it is behind the roof above the screened balcony.

I also wonder how often they will have to change their projector lamps...

f7e7615513724cd1bc4a56e.jpg

JMagicFink

Wow

Wow, that is some amazing throw distance! I'm amazed the video is so clear when it hits the castle. Thanks for answering my questions! :)

2gether

Color me amazed

I was a bit skeptical but now totally in love.

As for me the pics bring back memories of my time there with the kids, making me very emotional. It doesn't matter they're not my kids: the emotions on the little faces are just the same.

Cannot wait to see in person. 254 days.

Looks lame. It makes the castle look like a screen. Why didn't they just put up a screen somewhere else? The outlined castle effect looks an awful lot like the glowing edges filter in Photoshop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom